Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot issue:Unable to boot, stuck at splash screen on OpenSuse Leap 42.2

Default Re: Boot issue:Unable to boot, stuck at splash screen on OpenSuse Leap 42.2

Quote Originally Posted by meetvekaria View Post

Note that it always boots into emergency mode. Adding 3 at the end did nothing.
    As far as I can tell, the only reason for emergency mode is failure to mount some filesystem. So remove "quiet" on kernel command line, when you get emergency prompt, login and provide output of "journalctl -b". This should show what failed.

"systemctl --failed" may give quick overview which mount points failed.

Default Re: Boot issue:Unable to boot, stuck at splash screen on OpenSuse Leap 42.2

The system hangs on the splash screen because it cannot load the desktop environment, but it is already at runlevel 5; so it's weird that you can not enter the console mode... Wait a while on the splash screen before typing CNTRL-ALT-F1 (or F2, F3 ...).

Quote Originally Posted by tommy6555 View Post
    it is already at runlevel 5
    Did you try to read previous messages? Do you know what "emergency mode" is?

I'm not sure what a snapshot boot or emergency mode is. New to linux lingo.

I just wanted to get my things done. Figures linux is not for it. Because since last six months, I've been doing some or other form of troubleshooting. And now all my data is lost as I'll never be able to login to the **** system!

Regarding entering console, have waited for almost an hour, but nothing happens on any kind of shortcut.

Regarding providing output of journal, well the PC is not starting. So I cannot write those 1000+ lines here for getting help with the problem.

Anyway, I'm deleting the linux OS from my PC. Switching back to Windows. I'm done with OpenSource that doesn't work at all.

I'm done with OpenSource that doesn't work at all.
    No problem, windows are waiting for you
    I use only Opensuse for 12 years.
    The obstacles are made to be overcome
    loyalty returns to those who practice it

Quote Originally Posted by V_idocq View Post
    It's not a relationship where I've to be loyal.

This is a tool that should help me get things done easily, and if it doesn't, just increases work instead of otherwise, then it goes into garbage.

Just a point I've been using openSUSE since it became openSUSE and it has been for the most part rock solid. Any Linux can have problems with some hardware. I always build my own and chose parts known to be OK in Linux. 42.2 has been absolutely solid for me

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what a snapshot boot or emergency mode is. New to linux lingo.
    I just wanted to get my things done. Figures linux is not for it. Because since last six months, I've been doing some or other form of troubleshooting. And now all my data is lost as I'll never be able to login to the **** system!
    Sorry to read of your problems. I do believe your pessimism is a bit premature.

In January 2015 my 88-year old mother (at the time) was unable to boot to her PC that was running openSUSE GNU/Linux. It refused to boot, not even to run level-3. My mother lives over 7,000 km away. Yet 7,000km away, I was able to repair this computer, that could not boot, again ... from 7,000 km away. I documented how i did it here: https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...ck-7000km-away

She lost NO data. None. Not one bit.

Now your problem is likely different, but where there is patience and where there is a will, there is often is a way.

But ....

Anyway, I'm deleting the linux OS from my PC. Switching back to Windows. I'm done with OpenSource that doesn't work at all.
    This is unfortunate that you are throwing away your good data in an approach of yours that I believe premature - likely driven by totally understandable frustration.

And truly, it is too bad about your data being wiped by this decision of yours - but IMHO this decision may in the end be the best approach for you.

Sometimes patience is needed in GNU/Linux and I sense your experience level and familiarity with MS-Windows makes that a far superior operating system for you. That is not a negative thing. Rather it is good you have something that will work better for you. All my family uses MS-Windows as do most the people I know. Go with what works for you.

Good luck and all the best to you.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 08-Oct-2017 at 08:50.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by V_idocq View Post
    That is not a reply you would have appreciated when starting as a new linux user. ....
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    That is not a reply you would have appreciated when starting as a new linux user. ....
    Respond to this

I simply made the wishes for switching to Windows, so its linux filesystem files will hardly recover them.
    He wrote it, not me who is reinstalling Windows.
    I see posts similar in other forums where I am registered, but first if there is no availability of the user, nothing can be done to help them, do the doctor online ... there must be collaboration
    loyalty returns to those who practice it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12