Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot issue:Unable to boot, stuck at splash screen on OpenSuse Leap 42.2

Default Boot issue:Unable to boot, stuck at splash screen on OpenSuse Leap 42.2

I have dual boot Opensuse Leap 42.2 and Windows 7 on my laptop.
    Opensuse runs with KDE desktop environment.

It ran smoothly without any issues until last week, since when OpenSuse doesn't boot up (windows boots up just fine).

OpenSuse just hangs at the first splash screen that appears before the login page, the green splash screen with dots, before the screen for entering login password.

Kindly help me troubleshoot the issue here. What should I check?

Edit: Pressing a key, say space, shows command line view of the boot up. But I don't exactly understand anything of it.

Please help.

Default Re: Boot issue:Unable to boot, stuck at splash screen on OpenSuse Leap 42.2

I am using leaps 42.3 and cannot boot after upgrade.

Default Re: Boot issue:Unable to boot, stuck at splash screen on OpenSuse Leap 42.2

Hello everyone.
    I had the same problem: in my case the problem was caused by updating the libsoftokn3 library to 3.33-2.1.x86_64 version. This library is available in the "Mozilla" repository. The problem is resolved by downgrading the library to 3.28.6-40.10.1 version, available in the "Update" repository.

Question Re: Boot issue:Unable to boot, stuck at splash screen on OpenSuse Leap 42.2

Quote Originally Posted by meetvekaria View Post
    I have dual boot Opensuse Leap 42.2 and Windows 7 on my laptop.
    Opensuse runs with KDE desktop environment.

It ran smoothly without any issues until last week, since when OpenSuse doesn't boot up (windows boots up just fine).

OpenSuse just hangs at the first splash screen that appears before the login page, the green splash screen with dots, before the screen for entering login password.

Kindly help me troubleshoot the issue here. What should I check?

Edit: Pressing a key, say space, shows command line view of the boot up. But I don't exactly understand anything of it.

Please help.
    Hi there,

Are you able to start bootloader from a ready-only snapshot?

If so, please check the /var/log/boot.log and paste here the content for further analysis.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy6555 View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I had the same problem: in my case the problem was caused by updating the libsoftokn3 library to 3.33-2.1.x86_64 version. This library is available in the "Mozilla" repository. The problem is resolved by downgrading the library to 3.28.6-40.10.1 version, available in the "Update" repository.
    How to downgrade the library without being able to boot up the system?

Quote Originally Posted by criskubiaki View Post
    Hi there,

Are you able to start bootloader from a ready-only snapshot?

If so, please check the /var/log/boot.log and paste here the content for further analysis.

Thank you.
    I'm sorry I'm not very conversed with Linux OS and console.

Can you please tell me how to check if I'm able to start bootloader from a ready-only snapshot? What is a ready-only snapshot?

Further I'm not able to start this system in the first place. So I don't know how to copy anything that's there on the screen or log and share it here.

One more thing.. when boot gets stuck at opensuse green splash screen and we press any key, the black screen is loaded with processed going on in booting. There at the end of the mumbo-jumbo, it asks me admin password and logs me in to emergency mode. If this helps, if running a few scripts helps me to recover the system, then pls tell.

Quote Originally Posted by meetvekaria View Post
    How to downgrade the library without being able to boot up the system?
    You should be able to open a console with CNTRL-ALT-F1. Login and then do:
    sudo zypper in --oldpackage libsoftokn3-3.28.6-40.10.1.x86_64 (if your system is 64-bit).

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by tommy6555 View Post
    You should be able to open a console with CNTRL-ALT-F1. Login and then do:
    sudo zypper in --oldpackage libsoftokn3-3.28.6-40.10.1.x86_64 (if your system is 64-bit).

Greetings
    Nothing happens when I press CTRL+ALT+F1.

I hope you do realise that I'm stuck at the splash screen that appears when OS is booting up. The one before the login screen.

Well boot into a terminal

At boot press e find line starting linux or linuxefi go to end of that line (note it is long and wraps) add a space and a 3 press F10 to continue boot. Log into the resultant terminal as root and do the

Code:
    zypper in --oldpackage libsoftokn3-3.28.6-40.10.1.x86_64 (if your system is 64-bit).
    type boot to restart

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well boot into a terminal

At boot press e find line starting linux or linuxefi go to end of that line (note it is long and wraps) add a space and a 3 press F10 to continue boot. Log into the resultant terminal as root and do the

Code:
    zypper in --oldpackage libsoftokn3-3.28.6-40.10.1.x86_64 (if your system is 64-bit).
    type boot to restart
    Well, added the "3" at the end of Linux line after pressing "e" at Grub boot list screen while OpenSuse highlighted.

As it did earlier, it got stuck at the Green Splash screen while booting. On pressing any key at that screen, we can reach the command list going on behind. In that the last line says that "You are in emergency mode." And below that "enter root password" is flashed.

Upon entering root password and the code that you mentioned, the results are:

Code:
    Target initialisation failed:
    Failed to cache rpm database.
    Note that it always boots into emergency mode. Adding 3 at the end did nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast