Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

  1. #1

    Lightbulb TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    Hi!

    Have here a JeOS on Raspi 3 and want to add a light-weight desktop environment. Is there an easy and straightforward way, like this manual for raspian

    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=66&t=133691

    Thanks in advance
    Kind regards

    raspu

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,328
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Hi!

    Have here a JeOS on Raspi 3 and want to add a light-weight desktop environment. Is there an easy and straightforward way, like this manual for raspian

    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=66&t=133691

    Thanks in advance
    Hi
    Code:
    zypper se -t pattern
    zypper in -t pattern <your DE>
    I suggest x11, personally I use twin since it doesn't need X.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    Hi, and thanks!I thought maybe LXQT might be a good choice?What is the way to disable Bluetooth and Wifi on the Raspi 3 completely? :-)
    Kind regards

    raspu

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,328
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Hi, and thanks!I thought maybe LXQT might be a good choice?What is the way to disable Bluetooth and Wifi on the Raspi 3 completely? :-)
    Hi
    Enlightenment seems ok.
    On Tumbleweed it's not working anyway AFAIK already omitted.... But rfkill will turn them off.

    Check;
    Code:
    /etc/dracut.conf.d/raspberrypi_modules.conf
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 03-Oct-2017 at 11:58.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5

    Default Re: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    HiEnlightenment seems ok.On Tumbleweed it's not working anyway AFAIK already omitted.... But rfkill will turn them off.Check;
    Code:
    /etc/dracut.conf.d/raspberrypi_modules.conf
    Enlightment? Will give it a try...etc/dracut.conf.d/raspberrypi_modules.conf:
    Code:
    add_drivers+=" sdhci-iproc bcm2835-sdhost bcm2835_dma mmc_block dwc2 "# Workaround for Wifi#omit_drivers+=" sdhci-iproc"
    Kind regards

    raspu

  6. #6

    Default Re: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    Only repo is
    Code:
    99 (Default)│   x   │     x     │openSUSE-Ports-Tumbleweed-repo-oss│       │http://download.opensuse.org/ports/aarch64/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
    so I get:
    Code:
    zypper in -t pattern enlightmentLoading repository data...Reading installed packages...'enlightment' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.No provider of 'enlightment' found.Resolving package dependencies...Nothing to do.
    Kind regards

    raspu

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,328
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Only repo is
    Code:
    99 (Default)│   x   │     x     │openSUSE-Ports-Tumbleweed-repo-oss│       │http://download.opensuse.org/ports/aarch64/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
    so I get:
    Code:
    zypper in -t pattern enlightmentLoading repository data...Reading installed packages...'enlightment' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.No provider of 'enlightment' found.Resolving package dependencies...Nothing to do.
    Hi
    You have a typo....
    Code:
    zypper in -t pattern enlightenment
    
    The following 1003 NEW packages are going to be installed:
    ....
    The following 18 NEW patterns are going to be installed:
    ....
    The following 312 recommended packages were automatically selected:
    ....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    13,295
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    That's interesting adding a Desktop to JeOS.
    It should be noted though that JeOS is a severely stripped down OS, so I don't know if simply adding a Desktop would be all that successful, particularly a Desktop with lots of bells and whistles which ordinarily assumes installation on a "normal" and not JeOS image.

    IMO what I've done is probably best... Instead of adding a Desktop, just buy yourself another 8GB SDcard and burn a whole new install on it.
    Links to images and installation procedure for the RPi3 is at the following link (continually updated)

    https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi3

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,328
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    That's interesting adding a Desktop to JeOS.
    It should be noted though that JeOS is a severely stripped down OS, so I don't know if simply adding a Desktop would be all that successful, particularly a Desktop with lots of bells and whistles which ordinarily assumes installation on a "normal" and not JeOS image.

    IMO what I've done is probably best... Instead of adding a Desktop, just buy yourself another 8GB SDcard and burn a whole new install on it.
    Links to images and installation procedure for the RPi3 is at the following link (continually updated)

    https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi3

    TSU
    Hi
    Tumbleweed will boot/run from USB these days.... my TW RPI3 is running off a 16GB stick at present. Maybe setup a multiboot system on one RPI with multiple USB devices?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    13,295
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: TW JeOS on raspi 3 - want a light-weight desktop

    Just wanted to clarify...
    I was raising potential issues related only to adding Desktops to a JeOS...

    If the User started with almost any of the other images (particularly the XFCE and LXQt images), then the base OS and sub-systems would not be stripped down, so might be able to add almost any other Desktop one would want with little concern about missing sub-systems... and you could create a multi-Desktop Demo like the raspbian link provided by the @OP.

    Particularly if restricted in space though, I'd recommend almost any Desktop other than KDE/Plasma. AFAIK all other Desktops I've installed use gnome-base sub-systems.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •