Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a hack to add Symlinks' "Points To" to Dolphin Panel?

Question Is there a hack to add Symlinks' "Points To" to Dolphin Panel?

KDE is great, & Dolphin is great; so flexible, so configurable. One little tweak i've not been able to deduce so far though, is how to achieve this, per my pic:

Is it possible, pls?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a hack to add Symlinks' "Points To" to Dolphin Panel?

I haven't investigated many of the configurable options with Dolphin (creature of habit I suppose), but I do know it's possible show the 'link destination' for symlink files below the file icon itself. I'm not aware of the possibility for showing this in the 'Information' panel. Is that close enough for you?

Ooh, that does sound interesting. It might be a good stopover on the way to my destination, or it might be a good solution in its own right... i'd be keen to try it out pls.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGirl View Post
    Ooh, that does sound interesting. It might be a good stopover on the way to my destination, or it might be a good solution in its own right... i'd be keen to try it out pls.
    From the Dolphin menu...

View > Additional Information > Other > Link Destination

Ah, yes. I'd explored those other viewing options a few years ago, but then forgot about them coz they don't suit my needs -- sorry, i do not mean to sound ungrateful... thank you for reminding me .

The trouble is that i'm a greedy girl; i want my cake & eat it... then maybe even come back for another cuppa after that! I like small fonts, clustered compact layouts, & best use of screen real estate. Hence my default Dolphin layout is like this:

Whereas as soon as i activate any of those other viewing options, much more space is needed to span the same number of items, eg:

I'm not saying that KDE can't do this natively, coz i'm pretty good as not seeing stuff right in front of me... but so far over a few years i've not managed to find a way to do it. It would be so nice & convenient to have this functionality; it's boring & slow to need to keep opening Properties on those occasions i need to check links, whereas the Panel / Hover Balloon option would be highly efficient.

Blog Entries

LOL! I can well understand your wish to have this configuration option, and as such you probably need to request it as a feature. It is interesting that the configuration options for the 'Information' panel seem to be a subset of the 'Additional Information' options that are available.

https://userbase.kde.org/Dolphin
    https://bugs.kde.org/

Ta for the links. I'll peruse them tomorrow, & maybe even go ahead & request the feature there!

Oh groan, of course, tomorrow i also "have" to resume the scanning battle with my lovely MFC-7220. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    It is interesting that the configuration options for the 'Information' panel seem to be a subset of the 'Additional Information' options that are available.
    The options available in the Info Panel also depend upon the file type. For files that have meta information, most of that is available, take a look at a .jpeg or .odt for example.
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190814) KDE Plasma 5 ~~~
    Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected
    Leap 15.0 KDE Plasma 5 ~~~ Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5 (Work in progress...)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    The options available in the Info Panel also depend upon the file type. For files that have meta information, most of that is available, take a look at a .jpeg or .odt for example.
    Obviously, but this is specifically about the OP wishing to have the info panel the link destination for symlinks.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Obviously, but this is specifically about the OP wishing to have the info panel the link destination for symlinks.
    Yes, of course. I merely made a passing comment in relation to your saying it appeared to be a subset of the "Additional Information", which appears fixed and is not dependant upon file type.

I wonder also, if the reason for "Link Destination" not being an option for the Info Panel, is one of formatting neatly, what could be quite a long string, into the comparatively narrow width one would normally use for the panel.

And, yes, the best course of action would be a feature request against "dolphin panels:information"
    https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?p...%20information
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190814) KDE Plasma 5 ~~~
    Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected
    Leap 15.0 KDE Plasma 5 ~~~ Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5 (Work in progress...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast