Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a hack to add Symlinks' "Points To" to Dolphin Panel?

Default Re: Is there a hack to add Symlinks' "Points To" to Dolphin Panel?

When you hover over a link in dolphin, the destination is shown in the status bar below. Close enough?

Hi & thanks brunomcl

hover over a link in dolphin, the destination is shown in the status bar below
    It is good in theory, & even sometimes in practice, but mostly --for me-- it does not work adequately. That's coz my default mode for Dolphin usage is not with it maximised, indeed, its window typically occupies approx. only 1/4 of my screen [i only use one screen (albeit with 9 VDs & 2 Activities), & so i minimise the real estate consumed by many pgms so that i can efficiently fit more windows on the screen with visibility]. Even if i do maximise Dolphin, there are various filenames & symlinks whose length still exceeds the visible space. More commonly when Dolphin is not maximised, that status bar text is partly if not entirely "unseeable". Having the Points To path info in the hover balloon & the panel would still be best, for me.

Lightbulb Re: Is there a hack to add Symlinks' "Points To" to Dolphin Panel?

Solved it

Not elegant to setup, as is manual on a per-file basis [copy the Points To from Properties, paste into Panel's Comment], but once done, it provides exactly the fast visual clue i have been wanting, in the panel & best of all, in the hover balloon. Sweet.

Hum, manual... That's bound to introduce some misdirections, in time.

It might be worth a feature request to Dolphin developers.

Of course, if you right-click a link and choose properties you'll see the destination, but that is two clicks more than hovering over it. That might be enough if you only need an occasional reminder of where the link goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGirl View Post
    Even if i do maximise Dolphin, there are various filenames & symlinks whose length still exceeds the visible space. More commonly when Dolphin is not maximised, that status bar text is partly if not entirely "unseeable".
    You could also right-click the status bar and deselect zoom and/or space info, to get some more real state - if you can live occasionally without this widgets. Of course you can turn it back on at any time.

Personally, as much as I like the info panel, I find it better not to use it. Tooltips show the same preview and information, without wasting all that space.

Blog Entries

Solved it

Not elegant to setup, as is manual on a per-file basis [copy the Points To from Properties, paste into Panel's Comment], but once done, it provides exactly the fast visual clue i have been wanting, in the panel & best of all, in the hover balloon. Sweet.
    Well, if you happy with that great. I nearly suggested it before as well, but not exactly a solution IMHO...

Of course it's not a proper solution, it's a workaround. It has obvious compromises & limitations. But... needs must. Until the function becomes natively [or otherwise] available, this is the least-worst option for me. Nothing else i've tried, nor read of, has provided an acceptable outcome. Yes, i hope for better, but yes this'll have to do til then.

Blog Entries

Of course it's not a proper solution, it's a workaround. It has obvious compromises & limitations. But... needs must. Until the function becomes natively [or otherwise] available, this is the least-worst option for me. Nothing else i've tried, nor read of, has provided an acceptable outcome. Yes, i hope for better, but yes this'll have to do til then.
    Fair enough - it works for your needs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12