Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update - now IPv6 adress on interface

Default Re: Update - now IPv6 adress on interface

PPPS:

I still have no idea, where these IPv6 addresses come from. Self generated?

The router/firewall shows me

"The DHCPv6 Server can only be enabled on interfaces configured with a static IPv6 address. This system has none."

...so pretty sure it's not the router/firewall.
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Hi!

Don't get it wrong, but: explanations like "the system nowadays" are nonsense. Some human has decided to give the interfaces IPv6 and normally the interfaces start to send bradcast trash on IPv6 trough my network (and if the router doesn't block them, they will send each and everything wherever they want.

Plainly: It's a security issue to have interface sending stuff around without control by the user. Nobody need paternalistic decisions "by the system" to increase the attack surface of his systems.

Please tell me how to disable this in networkmanager (without fiddeling any config files, which will be renewed with every TW update, as for the networkmanager connectivity check, another security issue present in TW, but not in 13.2).

Many thanks in advance.
    Read up about IPv6.
    One of its features is to eliminate network broadcasts, everything is a directed network connection.
    There are usually 2 self-generated IPv6 addresses, one is scoped to be usable only in your logical LAN, the other might communicate further(It contains the prefix obtained from the upstream router).

If you want to disable IPv6, the methods described in this article should work in TW as well

https://superuser.com/questions/3319...-ipv6-in-linux

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

PPS: Tried to change these settings in the NetworkManager of a 42.3, there I get asked for the root password to change the interfaces IPv6 settings.

Is this a bug in TW? Maybe?
    It's a bug in the NetworkManager applet ("nm-plasma5" or something similar), and is supposedly fixed upstream. I had forgotten about that.

When you first try to edit the connection (I think it is the "wired" tab, there's a box for auto-negotiation. Check that box, and then you should be able to save changes. And the checking of that box will be one of the changes that you save.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

PPS: Tried to change these settings in the NetworkManager of a 42.3, there I get asked for the root password to change the interfaces IPv6 settings.

Is this a bug in TW? Maybe?
    FWIW I don't believe it's a bug. I've just tried changing this on a TW system (20170928) without any problem.

Upon first opening the IPv6 tab "Apply" is greyed out, but as soon as a (different) selection is made from the "Method" drop-down box then "Apply" becomes active.

If set to "Ignored", then after a reboot there is no IPv6 address.

Code:
    paul@Orion-15:~$ ip addr
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether [redacted] brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 192.168.0.3/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global dynamic enp2s0
           valid_lft 86208sec preferred_lft 86208sec
    paul@Orion-15:~$
    Edit: Whilst I was trying this "nrickert" posted, I already had "Auto-Negotiation" checked. So I guess the "bug" wasn't apparent to me.
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191012) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

...Thank you so much, nrickert. Problem solved. ***party***

When will the bug be fixed?
    Kind regards

raspu

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    There's a configuration file "/etc/NetworkManager.conf". But I don't know if there is a setting to disable IPv6. I did not see on while browsing the man page.
    This file controls global NM behavior. IPv6 is per-connection setting.

...in Fedora this has apparently been fixed some time ago. Alternative to "Allow Auto-negotiation" the Speed and Duplex can be entered manually, then the IPv6 settings (or anything else) can be changed AND saved.
    Kind regards

raspu

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    There's a configuration file "/etc/NetworkManager.conf". But I don't know if there is a setting to disable IPv6. I did not see on while browsing the man page.

There is a connection specific setting. You have to go into connection settings (right click on the NetworkManager icon). And then edit the connection that you are using.

There's a tab for ipv6. You may have to maximize the connection editor, or scroll right, in order to see that tab.

On that tab, there's a box for "Method". It defaults to "Automatic". Changing to "ignored" will probably disable ipv6. Maybe the change doesn't take effect until reboot.
    Just tested: I changed that setting on my machine, disconnected the wireless (do not know if that is necessary, but), reconnected wireless and the change took effect immediately.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Fresh install of TW 64bit KDE last weekend. Using NetworkManage, disabled IPv6 in the taskbar applet by setting IPv6 to "Ignored" (and in the Yast Network Settings IPv6 is unchecked).

After updates half an hour ago I suddenly saw an IPv6 address on the LAN Interface. Unbelievable.

Switching the interface to Wicked and back to NetworkManager -> IPv6 address is gone. How can it be?
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Fresh install of TW 64bit KDE last weekend. Using NetworkManage, disabled IPv6 in the taskbar applet by setting IPv6 to "Ignored" (and in the Yast Network Settings IPv6 is unchecked).

After updates half an hour ago I suddenly saw an IPv6 address on the LAN Interface. Unbelievable.

Switching the interface to Wicked and back to NetworkManager -> IPv6 address is gone. How can it be?
    You probably received some kind of update that "re-made" the network device, and the default likely was to support IPv6... Although I could say that whether IPv6 is enabled or not is a matter of choice, there are probably very few scenarios where IPv6 should be disabled altogether. hence the default configuration.. A self-generated local address might be useful in some situations and shouldn't be some kind of security issue because it shouldn't be able to work beyond the LAN.

Your act of switching to Wicked and back again probably re-enabled your User settings by restarting your network service. You could probably have accomplished the same thing by
    Code:
    systemctl restart network
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast