Update - now IPv6 adress on interface

Hi again!TW 64bit with KDE, running fine for more than a year. In YasT -> Network Settings IPv6 is not enabled on “Global Options”, the interface is set to DHCP4 (no v6), Networkmanager is active.Since the last update suddenly the only interface (RTL8111etcc. PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller) has an IPv6 adresse, which has never been there before.How to get rid of the IPv6 address?Many thanks in advance

The setting you describe (DHCP) is only how your network interface obtains its IP address from a DHCP server.

Unless you explicitly disable, nowadays the system will auto-configure IPv6 addresses in addition to the above which is normal.

The big question is… Is there a special reason why you would want to, or need to disable IPv6 functionality?

TSU

Hi!

Don’t get it wrong, but: explanations like “the system nowadays” are nonsense. Some human has decided to give the interfaces IPv6 and normally the interfaces start to send bradcast trash on IPv6 trough my network (and if the router doesn’t block them, they will send each and everything wherever they want.

Plainly: It’s a security issue to have interface sending stuff around without control by the user. Nobody need paternalistic decisions “by the system” to increase the attack surface of his systems.

Please tell me how to disable this in networkmanager (without fiddeling any config files, which will be renewed with every TW update, as for the networkmanager connectivity check, another security issue present in TW, but not in 13.2).

Many thanks in advance.

Hi
In the /etc/sysctl.conf file does the following line exist?

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

In your NetworkManager connection info is ipv6 disabled (per setting)?

Hi! Many thanks for your reply:

Yes, sir.

Everthing turned off, but still the IPv6, when NetworkManager is on. Have it on all machines updated this week, older ones I would have to look, but it definitely started recently (my son told me: same thing on 42.3, btw…)

PS: On typical TW I can do

ifconfig

but one machine gives:

If 'ifconfig' is not a typo.... cnf ifconfig

and

cnf ifconfig

wants me to install

zypper install net-tool-deprecated

weired…

zypper lr
Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

# | Alias               | Name                        | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
--+---------------------+-----------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
1 | openSUSE-20170211-0 | openSUSE-20170211-0         | No      | ----      | ----   
2 | repo-debug          | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Debug   | No      | ----      | ----   
3 | repo-non-oss        | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
4 | repo-oss            | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
5 | repo-source         | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Source  | No      | ----      | ----   
6 | repo-update         | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Update  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    

Hi
Not weird at all, ifconfig is deprecated, use ip instead, for this it would be;

ip addr

Maybe the system(s) have the deprecated tools package, or installed before the change?

OK, that was that, and how to turn of IPv6 now in NetworkManager? :slight_smile:

Hi
Well mine hasn’t turned on, still disabled system wide (and on my Leap setups)…

http://thumbs.imagebam.com/5f/b0/ff/4c6674612848963.jpg](ImageBam)

What is the output of

ip addr

?

Are you really still on 42.2?

Hi
On this machine, yup, have Tumbleweed on the MacBook and a RPI3, 43.3 on the HP 14 and a RPI3…

…so that is the output of

ip addr

on your TW machines?

How to disable the IPv6 address on TW?

Hi
That is the command to run, do you see ipv6 in the output? In Network Manager in the connection profile (see my screenshot), must be similar in Plasma?

cat /etc/os-release 

NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
# VERSION="20170927"
ID=opensuse
ID_LIKE="suse"
VERSION_ID="20170927"
PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:tumbleweed:20170927"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/"

ip addr

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: ens5: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1e:c2:04:94:1d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.10.40/24 brd 192.168.10.255 scope global ens5

If no inet6, then it’s coming from somewhere else, run wireshark.

…have you chosen wicked? If I choose Wicked, the IPv6 address is gone, switching back to NetworkManager, IPv6 address is back. On all machines. One of the machines is located a network with no other machines. Even there is the IPv6. Machines connected to different routers/firewalls. None has DHCPv6 active. All blocking any IPv6. What should Wireshark buy me here? Again: How to disable the IPv6 address for the active interface with NetworkManager since one of the recent updates. The post by TSU insinuates that recently something has changed.

Hi
I don’t use Plasma, but GNOME and it’s working fine and disabled. So look at the NetworkManager settings is there an option to disable ipv6? What is the output from the ip addr command with NetworkManager running?

I activate Network Manager in YasT, IPv6 disabled, interface set to DHCPv4:

ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
2: enp6s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether bc:30:5b:af:0c:87 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.10.10.129/28 brd 10.0.0.163 scope global dynamic enp6s0
       valid_lft 7194sec preferred_lft 7194sec
    inet6 fe80::b4a9:bXX6:YY46:ZZZ6/64 scope link 

I swich back to Wicked, without touching anything else:

ip addr
2: enp6s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether bc:30:5b:af:0c:87 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.10.10.129/28 brd 10.0.0.163 scope global enp6s0

…and the IPv6 address is gone. I can do this multiple times, back an forth, on all TW, same result everytime.

Now. Please. How to have NetworkManager but no IPv6 address on my interfaces?

Hi
If you set a static ip, netmask and gateway address, does it disappear?

If you create a test user and use NetworkManager (dhcp) does the issue duplicate?

Nothing on the device issuing the dhcp address firing off ipv6 leases?

There’s a configuration file “/etc/NetworkManager.conf”. But I don’t know if there is a setting to disable IPv6. I did not see on while browsing the man page.

There is a connection specific setting. You have to go into connection settings (right click on the NetworkManager icon). And then edit the connection that you are using.

There’s a tab for ipv6. You may have to maximize the connection editor, or scroll right, in order to see that tab.

On that tab, there’s a box for “Method”. It defaults to “Automatic”. Changing to “ignored” will probably disable ipv6. Maybe the change doesn’t take effect until reboot.

Hi nrickert!

VERY good point! I had manually diabled IPv6 in the NetworkManager (right-click on icon) after installing TW.

But now I can’t change any settings there for the IPv6 tab, tried 4 different TWs. Switching from “Automatic” (which is chosen now) to anything else (e.g. “Igonre”), the “Apply”-button stays greyed-out, after clicking “OK” and entering the tab for IPv6 again, it is still set to “Automatic”.

How come!? We are getting closer…

PS: Tried it with a fresh user on two systems, same result…

("/etc/NetworkManager.conf" is empty, wrt IPv6 and not an option, as it is reset by every TW update)

PPS: Tried to change these settings in the NetworkManager of a 42.3, there I get asked for the root password to change the interfaces IPv6 settings.

Is this a bug in TW? Maybe?