Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blac screen during install - FirePro 7750

Default Blac screen during install - FirePro 7750

I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 42.3 and I hit a roadblock. During install, just after first screen and when kernel gets loaded I get a completely black screen and my monitor behaves like a device has been disconnected / powered off.
    I've narrowed it down to FirePro 7750 card. When I add "nomodeset" to the boot parameters the installer launches. But I have no clue what to do so I could have proper graphics in the end .
    How should I deal with it? I'd love to revive this Precision t7500 workstation.

Default Re: Blac screen during install - FirePro 7750

The Firepro line always seems a little flaky. It is a AMD chip so thus should work with either the radeon or amdgpu driver both are built in but you may need to force one or the other. I leave that to people more experienced with the AMD graphics stuff . In the mean time you can use the nomodeset to get going but at lower res then you probably would like

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    It is a AMD chip so thus should work with either the radeon or amdgpu driver both are built in but you may need to force one or the other.
    How would I do that?
    I really don't know how to get this card working - ****, how I wish the workstation had Nvidia card (while the proprietary driver is... well proprietary it works out of the box).
    But I'm still committed to get this 7750 running so all pointers are more than welcome .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pshemas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    It is a AMD chip so thus should work with either the radeon or amdgpu driver both are built in but you may need to force one or the other.
    In the mean time you can use the nomodeset to get going but at lower res then you probably would like
    First get the PC to install and then boot to X using the nomodeset.

Then you can edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file. Dependent on the driver, you want, I speculate it could be something like
    Code:
    Section "Device"
      Identifier "Default Device"
         Driver "amdgpu"
     EndSection
    or
    Code:
    Section "Device"
      Identifier "Default Device"
         Driver "radeon"
     EndSection
    At some point in time, after a successful install, and good indications that your chosen graphics works, you will need to remove the nomodeset option.

I don't have your hardware nor any radeon devices any more - so someone else will need to chime in with more specifics.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 29-Sep-2017 at 22:56.

got the system installed with "nomodeset" parameter added to boot.
    But still I can't get the card working as it should - without nomodeset.
    Is there some sort of boot parameter I can pass to try using specific driver (radeon or amdgpu) - or disable one? I know how to do similar thing when using Nvidia (disabling nouveau when using proprietary driver) but I don't know the procedure for ATI/AMD cards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pshemas View Post
    got the system installed with "nomodeset" parameter added to boot.
    But still I can't get the card working as it should - without nomodeset.
    Is there some sort of boot parameter I can pass to try using specific driver (radeon or amdgpu) - or disable one? I know how to do similar thing when using Nvidia (disabling nouveau when using proprietary driver) but I don't know the procedure for ATI/AMD cards.
    Hi
    Lets just check your card, can you show the output from;
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk |grep -A3 VGA
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Code:
    04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV730 GL [FirePro V7750] [1002:949c]
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:0002]
        Kernel modules: radeon
    04:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series] [1002:aa38]
    - let me know if I need to provide any more info.

Blog Entries

Hi
    Are the packages drm-kmp-default and/or xf86-video-amdgpu installed? If so look at removing those two and reboot and see how it goes.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk |grep -A3 VGA
    Not directly related to this problem, but - I keep seeing this command suggested to check graphical devices. This command results in incomplete and hence misleading output. "VGA" here comes from device class/subclass 0x0300 which stands for "VGA compatible controller"; but e.g. nVidia here has class/subclass 0x0302 which stands for "3D controller" and so is omitted by suggested command.
    Code:
    03:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 830M] [10de:1340] (rev a2)
        Subsystem: Dell GM108M [GeForce 830M] [1028:062b]
        Kernel driver in use: nouveau
        Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau
    I suppose, using something "grep '\[03..\]' could be better.

Unfortunately lspci does not allow filtering by class ID (contrary to manual page) - it requires class+subclass and offers no way to wildcard subclass.

@malcolmlewis : sadly removing those packages didn't make a difference.
    From the things I've tried - I blacklisted radeon driver (and removed nomodeset) then tried loading it after system booted. Resulted in immediate black screen and fans on gpu started spinning like crazy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast