In today's snapshot; xxx "is not a symbolic link"... OK?

In today’s large snapshot, i noticed dozens if not [maybe] hundreds of messages like this, during the installation phase of my zypper dup:

(547/577) Installing: plasma-framework-lang-5.38.0-1.1.noarch ...................................................[done]
(548/577) Installing: plasma-framework-private-5.38.0-1.1.x86_64 ................................................[done]
Additional rpm output:
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libbrcolm2.so.1 is not a symbolic link
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libbrscandec2.so.1 is not a symbolic link

(549/577) Installing: libKF5KCMUtils5-5.38.0-1.1.x86_64 .........................................................[done]
Additional rpm output:

Is this ok pls?

Haven’t seen that, which is normal since the mentioned files arent’t present on my system. But, normally you would have libxxxx.so and libxxxx.so.1 would be a symlink to that. Apparently these libs are not installed like that, which is what ldconfig complains about. If everything works like it should …

Thank you. It’s been a few hours now since my upgrade to 20170924 completed. Afterwards, Tower rebooted fine, & so far everything seems to be behaving fine. Ie, i’m not aware of any actual problem here, but i posted this question only because there were soooooooo many many of those messages, which i do not recall seeing during previous dups.

FWIW … I updated to 20170924 and didn’t see any of those messages.

Extract from the “history” log

2017-09-26 15:52:46|install|plasma-framework-private|5.38.0-1.1|x86_64||repo-oss|500b073dc92b8358ac24d557e0907641d772668d|
2017-09-26 15:52:46|install|libKF5KCMUtils5|5.38.0-1.1|x86_64||repo-oss|e1e8a82e0032822c9bdcf63b07a74f468f32a33e|

shows no additional rpm output.

A quick Google https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q="%2Fsbin%2Fldconfig%3A"+"is+not+a+symbolic+link"

returns several thousand hits that you could peruse… however, if it works as is…

Thanks Paul

I always love it when things go wrong for me, alone… sigh. Oh well, fingers crossed that the plethora of said messages is not a harbinger of impending doom for my TW. :open_mouth:

A brief look further at this… for what it’s worth.

Googling for “/sbin/ldconfig:” + “is not a symbolic link” returns many hits. The gist of most of those is that the package manager was expecting a symbolic link, but instead found an actual file.

Your two particular files: “libbrscandec2” and “libbrcolm2” I don’t have in “/usr/lib/” (why I didn’t see the messages and you did)

Again, Googling for those, it seems they are drivers relating to a Brother Printer/Scanner.

Now for a few wild guesses… I see you have another thread https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/527332-Brother-MFC-7220-Scanner-allergic-to-Linux
… in which you said “I ran linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1” so that’s probably(?) where “libbrscandec2” and “libbrcolm2” came from.

My own thoughts would be… if it works, don’t “fix it”.

If you wanted to “mess about”, and I suggest this with no real knowledge :wink:

In “/usr/lib” rename “libbrcolm2.so.1” to “libbrcolm2” and then create a symbolic link “libbrcolm2.so.1” to it. Likewise for “libbrscandec2.so.1”.

That would probably stop the package manager from complaining…

But, hey, what do I know? I’m just guessing.

Edit: Hmm… Maybe you should ignore my post. Sorry, just noticed you have further problems https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/527372-20170924-to-20170925-dup-failed

Edit: Hmm… Maybe you should ignore my post. Sorry, just noticed you have further problems https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...925-dup-failed

Ha, yes, my TW seems to be having a nice little meltdown here. I don’t know at this stage if i should be blaming:

1. TW snapshots 20170924-25
  2. Brother who, not content with simply not letting my MFC Scanner work in Linux, then decided to break my Linux.
  3. Sunspots.

<<in case anyone can’t tell, i’m being ironic, not serious… although i am indeed seriously worried about how to make my TW happy again>>

LIke said, ldconfig just complains about the files not being symlinks. No worries here. Paul describes how you can get rid of the messages, but that would mean that you break package intergrity, updating the package that contains these files will probably revert the manual changes. You might even consider installing the 32bit package for the printer/scanner incl. recommends/deps and see what happens. Since you’re using btrfs reverting these changes would be easy ( if you don’t make any changes to the system after doing so ).

Yes, Paul’s idea is innovative, but i’m satisfied that now i understand that all those messages do not represent a problem per se, no remedial action is needed… so i shall leave well enough alone. There’s been more than enough breakage & trauma around here recently… :wink: