Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Mate Desktop

Default Installing Mate Desktop

Brand new user here, have got my feet wet with several other distros, all Ubuntu-based. I installed the Gnome version of Leap, intending to switch to Mate once up and running. I thought I had checked Mate off during the install, but I don't see it listed on the login screen. I have done some research on the forum and in general online, but haven't found anything definitive.Not sure what to do at this point. Willing to use terminal, but if there's an easier way I'll gladly use that.

Thanks,

Mike

Default Re: Installing Mate Desktop

GO to Yast - software Management select package group tab select the mate packages you need. ie all with mate in the description.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    GO to Yast - software Management select package group tab select the mate packages you need. ie all with mate in the description.
    Thanks gogalthorp. I did as you advised. While there I also installed the packages for Xfce. However, I still do not see how to log in with one of those desktops. I rebooted, but still don't see how you do that. Can you provide more help?

Quote Originally Posted by mdiemer View Post
    Thanks gogalthorp. I did as you advised. While there I also installed the packages for Xfce. However, I still do not see how to log in with one of those desktops. I rebooted, but still don't see how you do that. Can you provide more help?
    Do you see a screen that looks like this when you log in? Have you clicked on the gear icon?

Exactly how the login screen looks depends on which DM you currently use but in all cases there is an option icon somewhere on the screen to select desktops

Quote Originally Posted by andyprough View Post
    Do you see a screen that looks like this when you log in? Have you clicked on the gear icon?

Thanks, Andy, I looked but no gear on my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Exactly how the login screen looks depends on which DM you currently use but in all cases there is an option icon somewhere on the screen to select desktops
    No gear on my login screen that I can find. I installed with Gnome, because KDE will not work on this computer, even though it technically has the specs for it. I don't like Gnome 3, which is why I planned to use Mate. Or Xfce will do. But so far no luck in getting them on there. I'll try to get you a screenshot.

Computer specs:

Gateway GT 5656
    Athlon 64 X 2 6000+
    6 GB ram
    2 500 GB HDD
    Nvidia GS 8400 video card

May be a wrench not a gear depends on the DM. If you installed gnome then probably gdm. can check in Yast - system -/etc/sysconfig editor under desktop-display manager- DISPLAYMANAGER. Can be changed there also

Quote Originally Posted by mdiemer View Post
    No gear on my login screen that I can find. I installed with Gnome, because KDE will not work on this computer, even though it technically has the specs for it. I don't like Gnome 3, which is why I planned to use Mate. Or Xfce will do. But so far no luck in getting them on there. I'll try to get you a screenshot.

Computer specs:

Gateway GT 5656
    Athlon 64 X 2 6000+
    6 GB ram
    2 500 GB HDD
    Nvidia GS 8400 video card
    Yes, if you could get us a screenshot, it would be a lot easier to help. We're just not sure exactly what you are looking at when you try to log in. Maybe even take pic with your phone if you can't get to the screenshot function at the login screen.

I don't have a phone, so no screenshot. But it is identical to the one posted above, minus the gear.

I have added the KDE DE as well. No change. Even if I restart, still no gear or way to change the DE.

At this point, I'm considering reinstalling with the KDE DE. when I tried it before, I tried Plasma, perhaps the other will work for my system. Which leads to two more questions:

1) What is the difference between KDE and Plasma? Which one is leaner, more stable?

2) What is difference between the two install modes? I used the smaller one, under a GB. Could that have something to do with this problem? The full-featured version was going to take hours to download.

Thanks, Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast