Thread: Disconnecting from Wireless networks when closing laptop lid (with external screen connected)

Default Disconnecting from Wireless networks when closing laptop lid (with external screen connected)

Hi, I'm relative newb so bear with me
    I'm running Leap 42.3 with KDE on my Asus Vivobook X556UQ and haven't changed much aside from the kernel version

Code:
    cesar@linux-fmap:~> uname -a
    Linux linux-fmap 4.13.3-2.g38f3021-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 20 15:56:10 UTC 2017 (38f3021) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    As I did before with windows I connected my external screen via VGA to the Laptop and close the lid so I can position the monitor on top of the Laptop due to space problems. However, whenever I do this I lose connection to my wireless network and it acts as if it can't find any network (there are 2 I can usually see, although with weak connections). The connection is relatively weak, but it had never an issue in over a year (didn't randomly disconnect and such). I can even move further away from the router to the end of the room and still have connection (which is like 1-2 metres away from my usual position). So I don't really think the density of the lid covering the transmission point would be be the final straw on making the network unreachable, especially as I worked with the same setup on windows for several months.

hwinfo gives me this for my WLAN (removing Unique and parent ID just in case)

Code:
    : None 00.0: 1070a WLAN
      [Created at net.126]
      Unique ID: censored tentacles
      Parent ID: more censored tentacles
      SysFS ID: /class/net/wlan0
      SysFS Device Link: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.5/0000:03:00.0
      Hardware Class: network interface
      Model: "WLAN network interface"
      Driver: "ath10k_pci"
      Driver Modules: "ath10k_pci"
      Device File: wlan0
      HW Address: f0:03:8c:dc:fd:21
      Permanent HW Address: f0:03:8c:dc:fd:21
      Link detected: yes
      Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
      Attached to: #23 (WLAN controller)
    Anyone know what could cause this and what I should look at to fix it? Thanks for any help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Disconnecting from Wireless networks when closing laptop lid (with external screen connected)

Hi
    Not sure if there is a KDE setting, but there is in the file /etc/systemd/logind.conf and set the following;
    Code:
    #HandleLidSwitch=suspend

to

HandleLidSwitch=ignore
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: Disconnecting from Wireless networks when closing laptop lid (with external screen connected)

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Not sure if there is a KDE setting, but there is in the file /etc/systemd/logind.conf and set the following;
    Code:
    #HandleLidSwitch=suspend

to

HandleLidSwitch=ignore
    This seems to have solved it. Thanks!