Keyboard repeat problem

Hello,

I am using Thumbleweed + KDE with the latest upgrades. My kernel version is 4.13.1-1-default.
I used ‘zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change’ command for the update.

Since the last upgrade the keyboard repeat function has not been working properly.
However, the keyboard repeat setting is on ‘Turn on’ in the System Settings -> Input devices -> Keyboard -> Hardware - > Keyboard Repeat : Turn on (all settings are applied by default)

Do you have any suggestion or same issue?

Thanks

I never noticed that “Turn on”.

Go to that setting window. Then maximize that window. To the right of the “Turn on”, there are settings for the repeat rate and the delay before the first repeat. Check whether those settings are reasonable.

I am seeing a delay of 600ms for the first repeat, and a rate of 25 repeats per second. I think those are the defaults. I usually change the delay to around 900ms, but I guess I have not yet done that.

Thank you for your quick reply.
I’ve already played with those settings, but nothing has changed.

I will do some test. (change to MATE, or downgrade the kernel)

I’m not actually seeing any problems here.

You have not described the symptoms. Perhaps I am just not noticing. Or possibly, it’s an issue that is specific to your hardware.

My problem is that if I keep pushing down (for example) the “h” button, then only one “h” letter will be written down. (no hhhhh… series)
Other example, if I would like to delete more letters/words with backspace, then only one letter will be removed, even though I am pushing down the backspace button. (I tried it with more keyboards but unfortunately it is always reproducible)

So, the Keyboard Repeat function/method is not working properly.
I didn’t experience this issue 2 weeks ago, but I have it since the last upgrade/(snapshot install).

I tested by holding down the ‘x’ key.

I got an immediate ‘x’, then a brief pause, then a string of ‘x’ (until I stopped pressing the key).

My best guess is that you are seeing something specific to your hardware (perhaps a flawed driver). Did you try booting an older kernel? (There should be at least one older kernel that you can access via the grub “Advanced” line).

I created a bootable Live USB stick. (I burnt openSUSE-Leap-42.3-NET-x86_64.iso to USB)
I booted my laptop into Rescue mode (using the live stick) and the Keyboard Repeat function was worked again as I expected.

I found this Thread: “‘^@’ characters constantly “typed”” at the following link: '^@' characters constantly "typed" on VTs with kernel 4.13 - Hardware - openSUSE Forums .
I think it is very similar to my problem, so I tried this sugguestion:

echo “blacklist peaq_wmi” >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
mkinitrd

The issue was solved after that ‘peaq_wmi’ module was added into the blacklist.

I’m glad to hear that you have it fixed.

Since the ‘peaq_wmi’ module has been in the blacklist, some other problems were solved as well.

Perhaps give us a list, so if other users run into some of those other problems, they can also link the problem to this module?:wink:

The list of what functions haven’t worked:

Sorry for the delay.

Hi! It’s fixed now (kernel update around mid-october). Relevant bug: 1059807 – peaq-wmi module causes constant 'key presses'

Thank you for reporting back.:good::good::good:

You would perhaps be surprised at how few do, yet it is of utmost importance to openSUSE users – especially new ones – who are looking for the answers to a problem.

It is a very good news. :slight_smile:
Thank you for your reporting.