Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XFCE - Konqueror cannot doube-click to open video files or office files

Default Re: XFCE - Konqueror cannot doube-click to open video files or office files

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    That's clear, but doesn't really help with the question...

There obviously are reasons why he wants to use konqueror.
    True,
    But, based on his result

1. If he didn't know better just choosing XFCE rather than KDE in a new install, he might just use PCManFM if the functionality works(and I assume there would be no problem).
    2. If PCManFM works, then it might further narrow down approximately what subsystems are missing that might provide that functionality for Konqueror. Ordinarily, installing Konqueror should have installed the necessary KDE dependent subsystems, but a File Manager is not just any app, it probably is more integrated into numerous KDE subsystems than more "typical" apps with more limited functionality. And, I guess since openSUSE strives to provide full cross-Desktop functionality in alien Desktops, would possibly suggest comparing dependent sub-systems and/or patterns.

IMO,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: XFCE - Konqueror cannot doube-click to open video files or office files

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    True,
    But, based on his result

1. If he didn't know better just choosing XFCE rather than KDE in a new install, he might just use PCManFM if the functionality works(and I assume there would be no problem).
    Right, I suppose that's the case.

2. If PCManFM works, then it might further narrow down approximately what subsystems are missing that might provide that functionality for Konqueror. Ordinarily, installing Konqueror should have installed the necessary KDE dependent subsystems, but a File Manager is not just any app, it probably is more integrated into numerous KDE subsystems than more "typical" apps with more limited functionality. And, I guess since openSUSE strives to provide full cross-Desktop functionality in alien Desktops, would possibly suggest comparing dependent sub-systems and/or patterns.
    Sigh.
    That's what I try to investigate here.
    Your comments don't help at all though.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Just noting that the @OP said he's installed Konqueror in an XFCE Desktop.

By default, XFCE is built on a lightweight Gnome pattern, not KDE.

I'd ask the @OP if he might consider using PCManFM instead of Konqueror? PCManFM is the default file manager for XFCE.

TSU

Konqueror , IMO , is one of the best open source software ever.
    My particular fav feature is support for fish ( ssh gui ). Not available in Pcmanfm yes ?
    Next, konqueror is also a web browser ...
    Support for multi column bookmarks.

Dolphin has support for fish though.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post

Right, I suppose that's the case.

Sigh.
    That's what I try to investigate here.
    Your comments don't help at all though.

Guys, after i renamed .kde4 folder , konquerer seems to have regained the ability to open files ( odt, pdf ,mp4 ) in the appropriate application when the files are double-clicked. WHAT A RELIEF !

Next, Pls look at the attached screenshot - the icons seem to be missing on the front page.
    Any ideas ?

Url : http://uploads.im/FvtmA.png

Some *.svg files missing ?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoMeswara View Post
    Guys, after i renamed .kde4 folder , konquerer seems to have regained the ability to open files ( odt, pdf ,mp4 ) in the appropriate application when the files are double-clicked. WHAT A RELIEF !
    I forgot to mention one thing yesterday:
    The problem might be that KDE4's cache of installed applications was outdated or corrupted.
    Running "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental" as user should fix that.

You already found a "solution", but maybe try to rename .kde4 back and run that command instead.

Next, Pls look at the attached screenshot - the icons seem to be missing on the front page.
    Any ideas ?

Url : http://uploads.im/FvtmA.png

Some *.svg files missing ?
    The problem is indeed related to .svg files.

They are not missing, but KHTML (Konqueror/KDE's original web rendering engine that is still used to display the introduction page) cannot display SVG graphics at all. (I fixed that some weeks ago, but there hasn't been an update for 42.2 yet)

The new breeze icon theme only consists of SVG files though.
    Switching back to the older oxygen theme (that was default in KDE4) should fix that.
    Open ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals and add these lines (or modify them accordingly):
    Code:
    [Icons]
    Theme=oxygen
    Your old one probably had that anyway, as Konqueror is using the oxygen icons for the toolbar on your screen shot (apparently the icon cache hasn't been updated since you deleted the .kde4 folder, the introduction page loads the files directly)
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Sep-2017 at 03:00.

Thanks. Will do and revert later.

[QUOTE=wolfi323;2838917]I forgot to mention one thing yesterday:

The new breeze icon theme only consists of SVG files though.
    Switching back to the older oxygen theme (that was default in KDE4) should fix that.

Open ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals and add these lines (or modify them accordingly):

[Icons]
    Theme=oxygen

THIS WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANKS x 1000000000000000000000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update:

1. Despite creating a new .kde4 folder ( by just renaming the existing kde4 folder ) the issue still persisted. Double clicking on a file to open it in its native application
    only worked when we login / first time but stopped working afterwards. Would only upon when we login.

2. Running "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental" as user - did not help too.

Solution :

1. Had to create a brand new user account and copied over my data ( including .mozilla , .thunderbird , .ssh )
    2. But surprisingly , the konqueror intoductory page was still missing its icons.

Will attempt to fix via ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals and add these lines (or modify them accordingly):

[Icons]
    Theme=oxygen

Over and out.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoMeswara View Post
    1. Despite creating a new .kde4 folder ( by just renaming the existing kde4 folder ) the issue still persisted. Double clicking on a file to open it in its native application
    only worked when we login / first time but stopped working afterwards. Would only upon when we login.
    Hm, that's exremely strange though.
    No idea why that would happen.

Will attempt to fix via ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals and add these lines (or modify them accordingly):

[Icons]
    Theme=oxygen
    Yes, the default is breeze since 42.1.

Default Re: {SOLVED ] XFCE - Konqueror cannot doube-click to open video files or office files

Just marking this as SOLVED. But couldnt edit the Thread Title to mark it as SOLVED.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12