Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XFCE - Konqueror cannot doube-click to open video files or office files

Default XFCE - Konqueror cannot doube-click to open video files or office files

Hi,

In a 42.2 , XFCE Desktop, Konqueror cannot doube-click to open;

- video files ( mp4)
    - office files ( odt, ods )
    - pdf
    - txt files ( message KDEInit could not launch /usr/bin/kate )

But;

Double clicking on a jpg, png files , opens that file inside konqueror itself.

Note1: Right-clicking on a file and choose an app to open in does not work for all types
    of files.

Note2: Dolphin works fine however.

Q : How do i get konqueror to open files by double-clicking on them ? or right-clicking on them ?

Thanks.

Default Re: XFCE - Konqueror cannot doube-click to open video files or office files

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoMeswara View Post
    In a 42.2 , XFCE Desktop, Konqueror cannot doube-click to open;

- video files ( mp4)
    - pdf
    Well, you obviously don't have kate installed, though it seems to be set as standard application for txt files.
    What happens for the others?

Double clicking on a jpg, png files , opens that file inside konqueror itself.
    Yes, Konqueror opens certain file types directly in its window, that can be configured in its file types settings.

Note1: Right-clicking on a file and choose an app to open in does not work for all types
    of files.
    Can you be more specific?
    For what types does it not work, how does it not work?
    (e.g. do you get an error message, are there no applications shown, or what)

Note2: Dolphin works fine however.
    Dolphin is a Qt5/KDE Frameworks5 based application, but Konqueror is still KDE4 based in 42.2.
    The main difference I'd consider to be related here is that KDE4 stores the default applications in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, while KF5 follows the newer standard (like XFCE does) and uses ~/.config/mimeapps.list .

So either copy the latter over the former, or reconfigure your file associations in Konqueror.
    (right-click on a file and choose Properties, then click on the file type icon to change the associations, or go into Konqueror's settings)

You might also have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...s#XDG_standard for more information.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 19-Sep-2017 at 01:28.

Default Re: XFCE - Konqueror cannot doube-click to open video files or office files

Hi,

My replies below;

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, you obviously don't have kate installed, though it seems to be set as standard application for txt files.
    What happens for the others?
    Kate is installed.

Can you be more specific?
    For what types does it not work,
    - video files ( mp4)
    - pdf

how does it not work?
    (e.g. do you get an error message, are there no applications shown, or what)
    Double clicking on them -> no error message, no app opens.
    Except if its a text file, for which , we get "KDEInit could not launch /usr/bin/kate"

Dolphin is a Qt5/KDE Frameworks5 based application, but Konqueror is still KDE4 based in 42.2.
    The main difference I'd consider to be related here is that KDE4 stores the default applications in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, while KF5 follows the newer standard (like XFCE does) and uses ~/.config/mimeapps.list .
    Noted.

So either copy the latter over the former, or reconfigure your file associations in Konqueror.
    (right-click on a file and choose Properties, then click on the file type icon to change the associations, or go into Konqueror's settings)

You might also have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...s#XDG_standard for more information.
    Ok will try that.

Kate is installed.
    Really?
    Can you run it on its own?

Your error message does suggest something else:
    Except if its a text file, for which , we get "KDEInit could not launch /usr/bin/kate"
    It might also be caused by wrong command line arguments though.
    Also kate is KF5 based meanwhile, your KDE4 file associations might still point to the KDE4 version and/or use arguments that are no longer supported.

Your problems with other filetypes might have similar reasons.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 19-Sep-2017 at 02:07.

Hi, my replies below....

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Really?
    Can you run it on its own?

Yes, I can.
    Via ;

- Menu -> Accessories -> Kate
    - Menu -> Development -> Kate
    - Terminal -> type in "kate" and enter

Your error message does suggest something else:
    It might also be caused by wrong command line arguments though.

I have;

- Menu -> Accessories -> Kate ==> kate -b %U
    - Menu -> Development -> Kate ==> kate --new

Also kate is KF5 based meanwhile, your KDE4 file associations might still point to the KDE4 version and/or use arguments that are no longer supported.

Your problems with other filetypes might have similar reasons.
    So , rename the .kde4 folder ?
    Pls note that this box was not a direct install of 42.2 but an upgrade over 12.2 and then 13.1.

Both methods tried - Problem still persists.

Yes, I can.
    Via ;

- Menu -> Accessories -> Kate
    - Menu -> Development -> Kate
    - Terminal -> type in "kate" and enter
    Good, so at least Kate itself works.

- Menu -> Accessories -> Kate ==> kate -b %U
    - Menu -> Development -> Kate ==> kate --new
    Hm, the second one is definitely not standard... (at least it's not shipped by KDE AFAICT)
    Both of them should work though. (although the second one doesn't allow to open a file with it, it just opens a new Kate session)

But what is set for the affected file types in Konqueror's settings? (file management->file associations)

So , rename the .kde4 folder ?
    No, that likely won't help here.
    But you could try to rename ~/.local/share/applications/ (this will also remove self-created application menu entries though, if you have some) and ~/.local/share/mime/ (which contains custom file associations and mime types).

Pls note that this box was not a direct install of 42.2 but an upgrade over 12.2 and then 13.1.
    This might play a role here, yes.

Both methods tried - Problem still persists.
    Well, have you tried a fresh user account?
    Should rule out a problem with the user settings.

Well, have you tried a fresh user account?
    Should rule out a problem with the user settings.
    Thats something i could try.

What do I need to copy ?

I use;

- thunderbird for email ? so .thunderbird
    - firefox , so .mozilla

And my data files, etc.

Right ?

Thats something i could try.

What do I need to copy ?
    Depends on what you need...

But if you copy too much, you might just copy the problem too.

Actually the intention is to see whether the problem is related to the user settings or somehow more general, not to have you starting to use a new user account completely.

So I'd rather suggest to not copy over anything, but just create a new user account and try if the problem occurs there as well.

Just noting that the @OP said he's installed Konqueror in an XFCE Desktop.

By default, XFCE is built on a lightweight Gnome pattern, not KDE.

I'd ask the @OP if he might consider using PCManFM instead of Konqueror? PCManFM is the default file manager for XFCE.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Just noting that the @OP said he's installed Konqueror in an XFCE Desktop.

By default, XFCE is built on a lightweight Gnome pattern, not KDE.

I'd ask the @OP if he might consider using PCManFM instead of Konqueror? PCManFM is the default file manager for XFCE.
    That's clear, but doesn't really help with the question...

There obviously are reasons why he wants to use konqueror.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast