Thread: how to have a new or modify splash screen?

Default how to have a new or modify splash screen?

on my Laptop=Dell latitude E6510, RAM=8Gb, GPU=GT218 NVS 3100M, CPU=i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz running opensuse leap 42.3, plasma 5.10.95, KDE frameworks 5.38.0, KDE applications 17.08.1, Kernel 4.4.87-25-default, nvidia drivers, libreoffice 5.3.5.2
    I would like to change my spash screen with a new one not in the list (none, breeze, oxygen, openSUSE) in systemsettings>workspace theme>splash screen.
    how can I modify or download one and where I have to save it???

I tried to create /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel folder and inside reproduce what I would change (taking into account the same philosophy as for desktoptheme, copyed from /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme in /home/user/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme that worked) but it didn't worked.

manythanks, ciao :-) pier

Default Re: how to have a new or modify splash screen?

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    I would like to change my spash screen with a new one not in the list (none, breeze, oxygen, openSUSE) in systemsettings>workspace theme>splash screen.
    how can I modify or download one and where I have to save it???
    The splash screen is provided by the look&feel, as you seem to have found out yourself anyway.

There should be a "Get new..." button in the look&feel settings.

I tried to create /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel folder and inside reproduce what I would change (taking into account the same philosophy as for desktoptheme, copyed from /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme in /home/user/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme that worked) but it didn't worked.
    It needs to be in the right subfolders, depending on the name of the configured look&feel.

E.g. if you use the "openSUSE" look&feel, the splash files should be in /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/contents/splash/. I would recommend to copy the whole /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/ folder (or whichever you want to base on) to /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/ and modify everything to your likings.
    You can rename the folder if you want, but you should also change the name in
    /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/metadata.json then.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The splash screen is provided by the look&feel, as you seem to have found out yourself anyway.
    only luck

There should be a "Get new..." button in the look&feel settings.
    ...yes but not in spalsh screen

It needs to be in the right subfolders, depending on the name of the configured look&feel.

E.g. if you use the "openSUSE" look&feel, the splash files should be in /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/contents/splash/. I would recommend to copy the whole /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/ folder (or whichever you want to base on) to /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/ and modify everything to your likings.
    You can rename the folder if you want, but you should also change the name in
    /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/metadata.json then.
    manythanks, it worked, ...the error was I didn't copy the whole /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/ becouse with desktoptheme I copyed only the differences, so the other things are taken from /usr/... but with look-and-feel isn't so.
    I modified the images and changed the name so I can choose only the splashscreen and the look&feel remain oxygen.

It's possibly better to use 'plasmapkg2' to setup a changed Theme in "~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel" -- it copies, and updates, from your working directory to the target "~/.local/share/" location:
    Code:
     > plasmapkg2 -t lookandfeel -i org.openSUSE.desktop
     >
    I tend to modify the "Splash.qml" in "org.openSUSE.desktop/contents/splash/" -- things like "Rectangle { color: <QtQuick colour name> }" and
    "Image { source: "images/<MyPhoto.jpg>" fillMode: Image.PreserveAspectFit }".
    A ".png" version of the splash image named "splash.png" also needs to be placed in "org.openSUSE.desktop/contents/previews/"

I use images sized to fit the display exactly.

The QtQuick documentation provides a description of things such as the amount of time the default rectangle is displayed before the image is displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    ...yes but not in spalsh screen
    No, but in "Look&Feel".

As I wrote, the splash screen theme is part of the look&feel packages.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    It's possibly better to use 'plasmapkg2' to setup a changed Theme in "~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel" -- it copies, and updates, from your working directory to the target "~/.local/share/" location:
    Just copying the folder should be fine too.

plasmapkg2 would allow you to install and update downloaded "packages" though.