Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: how to have a new or modify splash screen?

  1. #1

    Default how to have a new or modify splash screen?

    on my Laptop=Dell latitude E6510, RAM=8Gb, GPU=GT218 NVS 3100M, CPU=i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz running opensuse leap 42.3, plasma 5.10.95, KDE frameworks 5.38.0, KDE applications 17.08.1, Kernel 4.4.87-25-default, nvidia drivers, libreoffice 5.3.5.2
    I would like to change my spash screen with a new one not in the list (none, breeze, oxygen, openSUSE) in systemsettings>workspace theme>splash screen.
    how can I modify or download one and where I have to save it???

    I tried to create /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel folder and inside reproduce what I would change (taking into account the same philosophy as for desktoptheme, copyed from /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme in /home/user/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme that worked) but it didn't worked.

    manythanks, ciao :-) pier

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to have a new or modify splash screen?

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    I would like to change my spash screen with a new one not in the list (none, breeze, oxygen, openSUSE) in systemsettings>workspace theme>splash screen.
    how can I modify or download one and where I have to save it???
    The splash screen is provided by the look&feel, as you seem to have found out yourself anyway.

    There should be a "Get new..." button in the look&feel settings.

    I tried to create /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel folder and inside reproduce what I would change (taking into account the same philosophy as for desktoptheme, copyed from /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme in /home/user/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme that worked) but it didn't worked.
    It needs to be in the right subfolders, depending on the name of the configured look&feel.

    E.g. if you use the "openSUSE" look&feel, the splash files should be in /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/contents/splash/. I would recommend to copy the whole /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/ folder (or whichever you want to base on) to /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/ and modify everything to your likings.
    You can rename the folder if you want, but you should also change the name in
    /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/metadata.json then.

  3. #3

    Default Re: how to have a new or modify splash screen?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The splash screen is provided by the look&feel, as you seem to have found out yourself anyway.
    only luck

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    There should be a "Get new..." button in the look&feel settings.
    ...yes but not in spalsh screen


    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    It needs to be in the right subfolders, depending on the name of the configured look&feel.

    E.g. if you use the "openSUSE" look&feel, the splash files should be in /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/contents/splash/. I would recommend to copy the whole /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/ folder (or whichever you want to base on) to /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/ and modify everything to your likings.
    You can rename the folder if you want, but you should also change the name in
    /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/metadata.json then.
    manythanks, it worked, ...the error was I didn't copy the whole /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.openSUSE.desktop/ becouse with desktoptheme I copyed only the differences, so the other things are taken from /usr/... but with look-and-feel isn't so.
    I modified the images and changed the name so I can choose only the splashscreen and the look&feel remain oxygen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,475

    Default Re: how to have a new or modify splash screen?

    It's possibly better to use 'plasmapkg2' to setup a changed Theme in "~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel" -- it copies, and updates, from your working directory to the target "~/.local/share/" location:
    Code:
     > plasmapkg2 -t lookandfeel -i org.openSUSE.desktop
     >
    I tend to modify the "Splash.qml" in "org.openSUSE.desktop/contents/splash/" -- things like "Rectangle { color: <QtQuick colour name> }" and
    "Image { source: "images/<MyPhoto.jpg>" fillMode: Image.PreserveAspectFit }".
    A ".png" version of the splash image named "splash.png" also needs to be placed in "org.openSUSE.desktop/contents/previews/"

    I use images sized to fit the display exactly.

    The QtQuick documentation provides a description of things such as the amount of time the default rectangle is displayed before the image is displayed.

  5. #5

    Default Re: how to have a new or modify splash screen?

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    ...yes but not in spalsh screen
    No, but in "Look&Feel".

    As I wrote, the splash screen theme is part of the look&feel packages.

  6. #6

    Default Re: how to have a new or modify splash screen?

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    It's possibly better to use 'plasmapkg2' to setup a changed Theme in "~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel" -- it copies, and updates, from your working directory to the target "~/.local/share/" location:
    Just copying the folder should be fine too.

    plasmapkg2 would allow you to install and update downloaded "packages" though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •