Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can't boot after update

Default can't boot after update

Just updated tumbleweed and now I am stuck with only the mouse curser appearing but no desktop environment (running gnome). Only have kernel 4.13.1 and 4.12.11 to choose from and both give me the same result. What can I do? I tried pressing e and adding nomodeset but that only resulted in flickering screen.

Default Re: can't boot after update

I am having same problem here. I am new to SUSE and not really sure what to do. I can still switch to different screen with ctrl alt f2 or whatever, and login but not seeing any error messages and not sure where to go look. I've seen others saying to add boot options but really not sure how to do that either.

I'm running HP Spectra 360 with all the latest updates. This happened to me after getting an alert that there were system updates and me telling it to shutdown and reload. It shutdown and never came back up. BTW: Screen 7 where the main login is, is totally locked up. The mouse moves around but the login prompt just sits and no keyboard, except to change to another session screen.

Will post whatever you need once you give me some suggestions as I have no idea what happened.

Thanks,

Glenn

Always use zypper dup on tumble weed DO NOT use zypper up or the desktop notification app these may break things!!!

So instead of using the graphical notification I just enter sudo zypper dup?

Haven't heard of this before so will have to research it.

Thanks,

Glenn

TW is a roiling release so each update is a like a new OS so yes only use zypper dup to do updates.

Thanks, That got me going again.

Glenn

Even though I had to do a fresh install of the system, but at least now it's working. Thanks for the help, will not use zypper up on TW anymore (unless I know better what I'm doing).

However, I'm wondering what happens if I update through check for updates. This will only do zypper up, right? Isn't that a bit dangerous then (especially for beginners)?

Yep Not sure why TW installs it.

Hi, I had the same problem. So I reinstall Tumbleweed (formating only the root partition) and it worked again. But after run:

zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change

I have the same problem and cannot init session. The X server is running (it show the mouse cursor over a black screen with some letters) but no session manager. So I cannot init my session. If I run "zypper dup" I get "Nothing to do". Should I reinstall formating all the disk? Any idea to solve this problem. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanGT View Post
    Hi, I had the same problem.
    It's probably not the same problem, just the same (or similar) symptoms I suppose...

So I reinstall Tumbleweed (formating only the root partition) and it worked again. But after run:

zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change

I have the same problem and cannot init session.
    Might be caused by some update/change in Tumbleweed then, e.g. graphics drivers or kernel.
    There are reports of problems with Intel graphics (again) and the latest Kernel 4.13.1 on the opensuse-factory mailing list:
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00293.html

So try to boot the previous one in "Advanced Options" in the boot menu (if still installed) and see if it helps.

Also, you should tell what desktop session this is about, otherwise it's not possible to give further suggestions.
    Does choosing a different one (e.g. IceWM) at the login screen work? (if you have auto-login enabled, press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace twice to get back to the login screen)
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-Sep-2017 at 00:43.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast