Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum. I can no longer boot after the latest update.

Default New to the forum. I can no longer boot after the latest update.

I have successfully booted with the "nomodeset" option in GRUB, and I am able to chroot into it. Have you any idea how I may boot in normally? Thanks.

P.S. I do not have Snapper, so rolling back is not an option, alas.

EDIT: I am able to boot with kernel 4.12.
    Last edited by modstms; 14-Sep-2017 at 19:01. Reason: Found temporary solution.

Default Re: New to the forum. I can no longer boot after the latest update.

So you're saying kernel 4.13 is a no-go for you unless you add nomodeset, -or- select kernel 4.12?

Quote Originally Posted by modstms View Post
    I have successfully booted with the "nomodeset" option in GRUB, and I am able to chroot into it.
    What do you mean by "I am able to chroot into it." How did you chroot? and into what?

Show the commands you used.

Have you any idea how I may boot in normally?
    If I understand part of what you said, you are adding nomodeset to the end of the kernel line. You should just then press F10 to boot normally with nomodeset active and this should get you up to the greeter where you can log in to the GUI.

To help you get back to a "normal" boot, the users here are not clairvoyant, so we need to know what Desktop Environment you are using, and will then need information about your graphics card, possibly a few other details.

Without that information, my own reply would simply be: "Beats the heck outta me."
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
    So you're saying kernel 4.13 is a no-go for you unless you add nomodeset, -or- select kernel 4.12?
    Correct. Do you know of any troubleshooting steps I can take to see if this can be resolved before I report this as a bug? (If I ever figure out how to report bugs. )

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    What do you mean by "I am able to chroot into it." How did you chroot? and into what?

Show the commands you used.

If I understand part of what you said, you are adding nomodeset to the end of the kernel line. You should just then press F10 to boot normally with nomodeset active and this should get you up to the greeter where you can log in to the GUI.

To help you get back to a "normal" boot, the users here are not clairvoyant, so we need to know what Desktop Environment you are using, and will then need information about your graphics card, possibly a few other details.

Without that information, my own reply would simply be: "Beats the heck outta me."

Wait... you're telling me that the average user here isn't telepathic? Outrageous!

I'm dual booting with Ubuntu on a 1TB hard drive. I was able to boot into Ubuntu with Tumbleweed's variant of GRUB without trouble. To chroot into Tumbleweed, I entered:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
    sudo chroot /mnt
    "If I understand part of what you said, you are adding nomodeset to the end of the kernel line." You are correct. That is the only way for me to boot with kernel 4.13 that I've discovered. I would like to not boot with any sort of "recovery" or temporary option like "nomodeset." Inside a halfway functioning chassis I call a "computer" is an R7 360, an i5-4690K, an Asus Z97-A motherboard, and a satisfactory eight gigabytes of RAM.

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like you need to boot w/"nomodeset 3", blacklist nouveau, run nvidia installer, mkinitrd, reboot -- whoops sorry, I see that you have an R7 360, I'll have to let the Radeon experts chime in. It's FINE if you add nomodeset as a permanent option. It's why it's available, sometimes you need it with some video hardware.

If I don't use nomodeset with the Live or Rescue ISOs, then mine doesn't usably boot either, my 1050Ti causes the screen to show garbage and that's all I get. So I too have to use nomodeset

Blog Entries

You can make the 'nomodeset' persistent through YaST - System - Bootloader
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

IMO it would be helpful to know where the boot failed.

1. When you boot using the kernel that fails the boot,
    Hit ESC so you can see the stdout of the boot process behind the splash screen.
    When the system errors or stops booting, use a camera to take a picture and post to something like a pastebin like paste.opensuse.org and provide a link in your Forum post.

2. If you can boot successfully booting another kernel, then do so.
    Then, from a console you can retrieve the bootlog from a previous boot by using the "-b -n" where n is the incremental number counting backwards. So for instance the following will write the <previous> boot log to a file called bootlog.txt
    Code:
    journalctl -b -1 > bootlog.txt
    After you've created a file with the bootlog, you can then either copy the contents of that file into a pastebin or upload the file to that pastebin as an attachment... And then again, like for the camera picture above you can provide a link to your paste in a Forum post.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    IMO it would be helpful to know where the boot failed.

1. When you boot using the kernel that fails the boot,
    Hit ESC so you can see the stdout of the boot process behind the splash screen.
    When the system errors or stops booting, use a camera to take a picture and post to something like a pastebin like paste.opensuse.org and provide a link in your Forum post.

2. If you can boot successfully booting another kernel, then do so.
    Then, from a console you can retrieve the bootlog from a previous boot by using the "-b -n" where n is the incremental number counting backwards. So for instance the following will write the <previous> boot log to a file called bootlog.txt
    Code:
    journalctl -b -1 > bootlog.txt
    After you've created a file with the bootlog, you can then either copy the contents of that file into a pastebin or upload the file to that pastebin as an attachment... And then again, like for the camera picture above you can provide a link to your paste in a Forum post.

HTH,
    TSU

Thank you for the troubleshooting guide! Fortunately, I have figured out that using the kernel module "radeon" as opposed to "amdgpu" allows me to boot without trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by modstms View Post
    Thank you for the troubleshooting guide! Fortunately, I have figured out that using the kernel module "radeon" as opposed to "amdgpu" allows me to boot without trouble.
    Linux distros are frustrating sometimes, good job on the solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast