Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attach an old Microphone

Default Attach an old Microphone

Hi everybody,

A few days ago I was searching through some really old stuff of mine and I found my Shure Dynamic 588SB microphone. Plugged it into my amp and it worked! Then tried it to my mobile phone and that worked also.

As I want to make some short movies with commentary attached to it this microhphone just comes in very handy!

Attached it to my computer and there's nothing. Fiddled around with some settings in yast and volume/microphone settings but no luck.

Anybody suggestions on how to get it to work?

Grtz
    Kage
    HP Z640 Xeon E5 2683 v3 64gb Tumbleweed
    HP 8300 i7 3.4 Ghz 16 GB 1TB ssd Tumbleweed KDE

Default Re: Attach an old Microphone

Sorry! i forgot to add my system info:
    Code:
    inxi -Fs -b
    System:   Host: localhost Kernel: 4.12.11-1-default x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.10.5
    Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20170909                                                                                              
    Machine:  Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF                                                         
    Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3397 UEFI: Hewlett-Packard v: K01 v02.05 date: 05/07/2012                                            
    CPU:      Quad core Intel Core i7-3770 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB                                                                            
    clock speeds:max: 3900 MHz 1: 1599 MHz 2: 1599 MHz 3: 1599 MHz 4: 1599 MHz 5: 1599 MHz 6: 1599 MHz                               
    7: 1599 MHz 8: 1599 MHz                                                                                                           
    Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller                                                            
    Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)                                                    
    Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz                                                                                                     
    OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop version: 4.2 Mesa 17.2.0                                                       
    Audio:    Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel                                            
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.12.11-1-default                                                                    
    Network:  Card: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville) driver: e1000e                                                        
    IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 88:51:fb:60:de:94                                                           
    Drives:   HDD Total Size: 240.1GB (59.2% used)                                                                                              
    ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_Q300. size: 240.1GB                                                                                 
    Partition:ID-1: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2                                                               
    Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?                                                                           
    Info:     Processes: 221 Uptime: 1:14 Memory: 1658.5/15918.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.25  

This belongs to the initial post

Grtz

Blog Entries

Have you tried configuring your sound using pavucontrol? It should be possible to make sure to the microphone input is selected, unmuted, and an appropriate level set.

Hi,
    You will see if your microphone is working in pavucontrol under input device.
    Are you trying to direct your microphone audio to your speaker?
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Hi,
    You will see if your microphone is working in pavucontrol under input device.
    Are you trying to direct your microphone audio to your speaker?
    Thanks both for replying!

What I want to do is record with audacity
    I installed pavucontrol but noticed that that needs pulseaudio. My system has only alsa when trying to choose a source. When looking for pulse audio packages in yast software it seems that the pulseaudio packages are already installed. When pavucontrol starts and I choose record it comes back with "no active application" although audacity is running. When looking at configuration it says "analog stereo duplex"

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

grtz
    Karel

Quote Originally Posted by kagepc View Post
    A few days ago I was searching through some really old stuff of mine and I found my Shure Dynamic 588SB microphone. Plugged it into my amp and it worked! Then tried it to my mobile phone and that worked also.
    Now there's a blast from the past!! Mid to late 60's if I recall correctly. Quite a nice mic in it's time.

The 588SB was a low impedance 20-200 ohm semi-pro model, it has quite a low output at around 0.85mV. Just because it works on your amp and phone won't guarantee it will work on a PC soundcard.

I'd be inclined to prove that sound is working OK on your PC by using a known good (with PC) microphone first.
    Regards, Paul

In Yast-Sound be sure that pulseaudio is being used (Other button bottom right)

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Now there's a blast from the past!! Mid to late 60's if I recall correctly. Quite a nice mic in it's time.

The 588SB was a low impedance 20-200 ohm semi-pro model, it has quite a low output at around 0.85mV. Just because it works on your amp and phone won't guarantee it will work on a PC soundcard.

I'd be inclined to prove that sound is working OK on your PC by using a known good (with PC) microphone first.
    ouch! makes me feel old
    I thought 70's, I remember buying it early 1978. And you're right it is low impedance. but .....
    That time it was sold including a low to high impedance converter. Using the mic with or without converter doesn't make a difference
    I should have mentioned the converter though.

grtz
    Karel

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    In Yast-Sound be sure that pulseaudio is being used (Other button bottom right)
    Thanks! It was activated already. but no sound.

Grtz

Karel

Blog Entries

With mic plugged in to PC and configured best possible, I recommend you run a diagnostic script and post here a link to where diagnostic script output uploaded.

You can do that by plugging in mic, configuring best possible, and running in an xterm/konsole as a regular user (with PC connected to the internet) the following commands:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    and select the SHARE/UPLOAD option when prompted. Let the script run to completion. Then look in xterm/konsole and it will give you the url/address where script output was uploaded to. Post here that URL/address and our forum experts in sound can take a look at it and make an assessment as to where the problem may be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast