Thread: Even if I chose Gnome on Wayland, I think I get X11

Default Even if I chose Gnome on Wayland, I think I get X11

Hi every one.

This is a convolution of two questions, I apologize.
    Here's the thing: I have an installation of openSUSE Tumbleweed, I went with the defaults for Gnome during installation. As expected, that gives me two entries in the GDM login screen, where I can chose my DE for login: "Gnome" and "Gnome on Xorg" (besides IceWM, which happens to exist twice, but that's probably another question).
    My understanding was, that if I chose "Gnome" over "Gnome on Xorg", I'll be set to a Wayland session. I was hence surprised to see, that in this new "Wayland" session, X (/usr/bin/7) pops up. Question one: How can I find out, whether I am on a Wayland or an X11 session? The only thing I could find is echo-ing $XDG_SESSION_TYPE; This yields "x11" in either case – however, it is unclear to me whether that is an appropriate way to gauge the session type.
    But, at least, it is puzzling that I seem to never get a Wayland session, even though this is the documented default on openSUSE now. (I must admit that I could not really give a good answer if you asked me "who cares, it works, be happy!", but that's not the point, geekos!). Question two: Does any one know why I get X11? Is this a bug (… maybe the same that makes IceWM appear twice??), or does s.th. technically prevent Wayland (I'm on a rather new ThinkPad 13, with i7-7500U/IntelHD-620)?

Any help is welcomed!

Cheers,

pbiel

Blog Entries

Default Re: Even if I chose Gnome on Wayland, I think I get X11

With recently installed Tumbleweed, I find that I need to install another package before I can get Gnome to run on Wayland.

I'm not sure of the package name. And I'm on Leap 42.3 right now, so I can't check.

Using Yast Software Management, search for "wayland". Look for a package with a name similar to "gnome-wayland-session" or "gnome-session-wayland". Install that. Then you might still need to reboot before you can get it to work.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2 Beta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pbiel View Post
    How can I find out, whether I am on a Wayland or an X11 session? The only thing I could find is echo-ing $XDG_SESSION_TYPE; This yields "x11" in either case – however, it is unclear to me whether that is an appropriate way to gauge the session type.
    I forgot to answer this. If you are on Wayland, the "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" should show as "wayland" (but without the quotes).

When running with Wayland, you will need to give the command
    Code:
    xhost +SI:localuser:root
    before you can run Yast in that session. Apart from that, I'm finding that Gnome-wayland is working pretty well.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2 Beta

Hi!

True, there was a package missing … at leas, installing
    Code:
    gnome-session-wayland
    and its dependencies solved this. I wonder why it seems to be not installed by default, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pbiel View Post
    Hi!

True, there was a package missing … at leas, installing
    Code:
    gnome-session-wayland
    and its dependencies solved this. I wonder why it seems to be not installed by default, though.
    Might be because it is close, but not yet ready for "prime time". It does work better than KDE (wayland).