Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel GPU i915 driver problems, "drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang"

Default Intel GPU i915 driver problems, "drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang"

Since updating to 42.3, I've been getting weird crashes, jumbled text, and non-optimal performance. Error message is, "drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang". Device is IBM T61 with an Intel GPU. Does anyone have a workaround for this problem until a kernel patch is out?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Intel GPU i915 driver problems, "drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang"

Could this be related to acceleration ?

If your LEAP acceleration uses sna, does switching default acceleration from sna to uxa help ?

Back in the 'ancient' openSUSE-13.1 days, this was the guidance: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Switch_x...o-intel_to_UXA

Whether the same is applicable to LEAP-42.3 ?? well I have no idea. This is just a speculative query that 'might' help. Possibly others can chime in with the precise solution.

Default Re: Intel GPU i915 driver problems, "drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang"

Nice try...no cigar.
    Inserting this,

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Graphics"
    Driver "intel"
    Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
    EndSection

into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf put me in command line mode with "startx" not initiating the gui. Lemme know if I've missed anything. Thanks.

Hi, don't really know if it is the same problem, but on my test laptop with Intel 965GM graphics I need the "video=SVIDEO-1:d" boot option with kernels 4.4.x and up, even if I have no SVIDEO output on that rig.
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by portsample View Post
    into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf put me in command line mode with "startx" not initiating the gui. Lemme know if I've missed anything. Thanks.
    If it puts you into run level 3 (ie a full screen terminal) with that inserted then clearly it did not work.

Having typed that, I'm surprised to read of you trying 'startx'. My understanding is that command functionality had been depreciated/ removed many releases ago. Was it put back in recently ?

It would help to know which GPU yoy are using. Since apparently it is one of the older Intel GPUs, maybe you have to uninstall drm-kmp-default according to par. 1.4 of the release notes:
    https://doc.opensuse.org/release-not...USE/Leap/42.3/
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    It would help to know which GPU yoy are using. Since apparently it is one of the older Intel GPUs, maybe you have to uninstall drm-kmp-default according to par. 1.4 of the release notes:
    https://doc.opensuse.org/release-not...USE/Leap/42.3/
    That got it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    If it puts you into run level 3 (ie a full screen terminal) with that inserted then clearly it did not work.

Having typed that, I'm surprised to read of you trying 'startx'. My understanding is that command functionality had been depreciated/ removed many releases ago. Was it put back in recently ?
    startx can be run as root, but not as user.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post

This was precisely what resolved my problem with a Dell 620.

Quote Originally Posted by smoring View Post
    This was precisely what resolved my problem with a Dell 620.
    Uninstalling the package via "zypper rm drm-kmp-default" resolved the hung gpu issue for me. This problem was present in the last kernel update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast