Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly window colors

Default Ugly window colors

I just find the windows / colors ugly. Blah grays. Back a few versions, there was "Ozone" which looked nice and crisp, professional. But it was dropped and the windows seem to simulate Microsoft windows and all this transparency stuff.

I'm afraid I don't even know what to ask other than how to make it better. I probably need to learn something about the concepts here, but don't know where to look. It's odd and doesn't make sense to me. I'm guessing there's something about general styles, and then something about individual colors.

There's Workspace themes, Look and Feel, Desktop Theme, Cursor Theme. There's colors. There's Application style, Widget style, Window Decorations, Gnome Application style. There used to be many more options in previous versions which only added to the confusion.

I've tried Get new Themes and Get New Decorations. It changes some things, but not sure which is what I want. It's hard to see the little tiny brief preview, guess it might be useful, install it and then find it's just more blah, or something really horrible.

My main complaint for now is the title background color and the window edges. It's sometimes hard to see the title bar to drag it and where the window edges are to enlarge them. I thought that was the usefulness of windows and making it heard to see where the edges are doesn't seem to fit it. And sometimes the windows blink when enlarging, or on dropdown selections (maybe a different issue than theme selection).

I'm happy enough if I could change color codes in a configuration file. But when I look in ~/.local/share/plasma (not sure if "Plasma" is what I want), there are theme names that don't match what my systems settings names are. There's also share/aurorae, but I see that nowhere in the system settings. I've read some (aurorae?) are better for KDE than others in compatibility mode.

Right now, I see highlighted openSUSE look and feel, Oxygen desktop theme, Fusion (where'd that come from and why no get more widget styles?) widget style, and air-oxygen window decorations. I'm using KDE, not Gnome, so does GTK themes have any use?
    So I need some direction here. Preferably including a quick fix for titlebar color for now.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ugly window colors

Maybe you should be browsing the themes in the KDE store?
    https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/104/

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by dt30 View Post

Right now, I see highlighted openSUSE look and feel, Oxygen desktop theme, Fusion (where'd that come from and why no get more widget styles?) widget style, and air-oxygen window decorations. I'm using KDE, not Gnome, so does GTK themes have any use?
    So I need some direction here. Preferably including a quick fix for titlebar color for now.
    TSU has already pointed you to a permanent solution.

Yes, you do need a GTK theme. E.g. Firefox is a GTK program and will use that theme.

To make your title bars stand out, go into colors, and choose "Edit Theme"(not sure it is called that, I am using a Dutch locale). Go to the colors page and choose "Active titlebar". Then you get a window where you can adjust the color. I have a nice, shiny blue color selected here. Same for "Inactive title bar", where I have a muted grey color. Inactive windows do not interest me. That is all.

Default AW: Ugly window colors

And if you want to have back the old "KDE4" style, install the package oxygen5... (and then maybe choose "Oxygen" in the look&feel settings, or configure the individual things separately)

"Ozone" was just a fork of that, and later incorporated into the original thing (oxygen) years ago, in KDE4 times already (4.4 or 4.5 IIRC).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-Sep-2017 at 09:07.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Maybe you should be browsing the themes in the KDE store?
    https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/104/

TSU
    Yes, I've been there. But I don't see much help there compared to get new themes. It's a little tiny brief preview window, usually showing the desktop and no windows and the title bar. I see it futile to by brute force download and install each one of hundreds to see if it is of any benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by mennoholscher View Post
    TSU has already pointed you to a permanent solution.

Yes, you do need a GTK theme. E.g. Firefox is a GTK program and will use that theme.

To make your title bars stand out, go into colors, and choose "Edit Theme"(not sure it is called that, I am using a Dutch locale). Go to the colors page and choose "Active titlebar". Then you get a window where you can adjust the color. I have a nice, shiny blue color selected here. Same for "Inactive title bar", where I have a muted grey color. Inactive windows do not interest me. That is all.
    How do I install a GTK theme? That is, how do I determine which are and aren't? I see little if any in the list saying "GTK". So you must mean something else by GTK which is what I don't know.

My current theme is "Oxygen". Is that GTK?
    I go into Colors, notice Oxygen is highlighted, click Edit Scheme, then Colors, scroll down to Active Titlebar, notice it is a nice blue color. I even change it slightly, save as a new scheme, apply, and my title bar is still an ugly gray translucent color.

How do I install a GTK theme? That is, how do I determine which are and aren't? I see little if any in the list saying "GTK". So you must mean something else by GTK which is what I don't know.
    Installing and configuring a GTK theme won't change your *windows*, it will just change the look of GTK applications.

My current theme is "Oxygen". Is that GTK?
    No.
    Oxygen is Oxygen.

The widget style is available for Qt and GTK (only GTK2 though because GTK3 dropped support for custom theme engines).

I go into Colors, notice Oxygen is highlighted, click Edit Scheme, then Colors, scroll down to Active Titlebar, notice it is a nice blue color. I even change it slightly, save as a new scheme, apply, and my title bar is still an ugly gray translucent color.
    Change the window decoration to "Oxygen".

Ok, so I don't know what a GTK theme is. Is that what I need? If so, where do I find it?

Is "widget style" while I want? Do I have Qt and GTK3? How do you know?

Window decoration is currently set to air-oxygen. I am unable to try to install the oxygen5 theme as I'm having more trouble with the opensuse update repositories. It times out saying it can't load
    https://download.opensuse.org/update.../media.1/media

When I look through the web interface, there is no media.1 nor media folder under oss. So I don't know if this is a temporary server problem or additional ISP issues preventing me from using the system. The software management system shows the same version on the ISO as at oss, and it is currently checked on each portion of oxygen5, but why it wants to download oxygen5-cursors from the internet instead of the local ISO, I don't know. I read setting priorities no longer is useful, but I think I'll try it and see if it works. I don't know a lot of the answers, and I don't even know the questions to ask.

My KInfocenter says I have KDE 5.8.7, Qt 5.62 so I must have something there. But what that means exactly in selecting Qt and GTK themes, widgets, decorations, I don't know. But I do know my title bar is still ugly gray.

The openSUSE download system is down today seems a serious hardware crash. So wait a while until they get it fixed.

Check here

https://status.opensuse.org/

If I set "window background" rather than "active title bar", it changes the title bar. I'm calling the title bar the area at the top of each window which contains text of the window title. But that's the background so on some applications it includes not only the title bar but also menu bar and toolbar. Not exactly what I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast