Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

  1. #1
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    Greetings,

    I just built a rig with a Ryzen 1700 chip on a Gigabyte AB-Gaming 3 motherboard and I'm having difficulty monitoring the CPU temperature. From what I've researched, this is not in the Linux kernel yet so a module has to be added.

    Here is the kernel module I need from Git: https://github.com/groeck/it87

    sudo make gives me an error:

    Code:
    make[1]: *** /usr/src/linux-4.12.8-1-default: No such file or directory.  Stop. 
    make: *** [Makefile:30: modules] Error 2
    
    
    Here is a tutorial I found but it is all written with the apt command and zypper doesn't work with the instructions:

    https://linuxconfig.org/monitor-amd-...kernel-modules

    I tried changing the make file as instructed but nothing is working.

    I've never done anything like this before so I may need some hand holding with the process.

    I already did sensors-detect which gave me the sensor number I need.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    Hi
    So you haven't dupped your system to the 4.12.9 kernel yet

    So when you mean sensor number you mean chip, which is? You known you can force the current it87 module with your device id (which is?) to make it work?

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...highlight=it87

    If that doesn't work, can make a KMP (Kernel Module Package) for you to install.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Re: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So you haven't dupped your system to the 4.12.9 kernel yet

    So when you mean sensor number you mean chip, which is? You known you can force the current it87 module with your device id (which is?) to make it work?

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...highlight=it87

    If that doesn't work, can make a KMP (Kernel Module Package) for you to install.
    Ok, I did a zypper up and I'm on 4.12.9

    I ran sensors-detect and it only comes up with two unknown device numbers 0x8686 and 0x8733. Other than that, it says it doesn't detect anything.

    I read through the above thread and tried the modprobe command and got:

    Code:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'it87': No such device
    
    I'm not really understanding where to go from here. Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    Quote Originally Posted by drhedberg View Post
    Ok, I did a zypper up and I'm on 4.12.9

    I ran sensors-detect and it only comes up with two unknown device numbers 0x8686 and 0x8733. Other than that, it says it doesn't detect anything.

    I read through the above thread and tried the modprobe command and got:

    Code:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'it87': No such device
    
    I'm not really understanding where to go from here. Thanks
    Hi
    The it87 module is already present in the kernel (I use it with HP M/B), if you try just a modprobe with the id does it load?

    See this thread;
    https://github.com/groeck/it87/issues/16

    I've built the module here, but still on the 4.12.8 kernel.....
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...s:TESTING/it87

    So you need to download the src rpm and rebuild locally as your user, not root!!
    Code:
    wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/TESTING/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/src/it87-0+git20170826-1.1.src.rpm
    rpmbuild --rebuild it87-0+git20170826-1.1.src.rpm
    Then install the kmp rpm as root user and modprobe it87.

    You will need to install the kernel-source, kernel-syms, libelf-devel and module-init-tools.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Re: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    The it87 module is already present in the kernel (I use it with HP M/B), if you try just a modprobe with the id does it load?

    See this thread;
    https://github.com/groeck/it87/issues/16

    I've built the module here, but still on the 4.12.8 kernel.....
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...s:TESTING/it87

    So you need to download the src rpm and rebuild locally as your user, not root!!
    Code:
    wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/TESTING/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/src/it87-0+git20170826-1.1.src.rpm
    rpmbuild --rebuild it87-0+git20170826-1.1.src.rpm
    Then install the kmp rpm as root user and modprobe it87.

    You will need to install the kernel-source, kernel-syms, libelf-devel and module-init-tools.
    sudo modprobe it87 worked and then I ran sensors which gives:

    Code:
    it8792-isa-0a60 
    Adapter: ISA adapter 
    in0:          +0.39 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in1:          +1.06 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in2:          +1.34 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    +3.3V:        +1.68 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in4:          +1.40 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in5:          +1.30 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in6:          +2.78 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)  ALARM 
    3VSB:         +1.68 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    Vbat:         +1.60 V   
    fan1:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan2:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    temp1:        +25.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    temp2:        +28.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = Intel PECI 
    temp3:        +30.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    intrusion0:  ALARM
    
    
    I did a force id to 8686 and 8622 but this was no different than just loading it87.

    I installed two cpu temperature monitor widgets which don't show the temp yet.

    Code:
    watch -n1 sensors
    Seems to work and give information in real time.

    Should I download the source rpm that you made and follow your instructions?

  6. #6
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Re: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    Quote Originally Posted by drhedberg View Post
    sudo modprobe it87 worked and then I ran sensors which gives:

    Code:
    it8792-isa-0a60 
    Adapter: ISA adapter 
    in0:          +0.39 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in1:          +1.06 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in2:          +1.34 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    +3.3V:        +1.68 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in4:          +1.40 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in5:          +1.30 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in6:          +2.78 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)  ALARM 
    3VSB:         +1.68 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    Vbat:         +1.60 V   
    fan1:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan2:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    temp1:        +25.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    temp2:        +28.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = Intel PECI 
    temp3:        +30.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    intrusion0:  ALARM
    
    
    I did a force id to 8686 and 8622 but this was no different than just loading it87.

    I installed two cpu temperature monitor widgets which don't show the temp yet.

    Code:
    watch -n1 sensors
    Seems to work and give information in real time.

    Should I download the source rpm that you made and follow your instructions?

    I went ahead and downloaded it just to try with your wget command but then got:

    Code:
    rpmbuild --rebuild it87-0+git20170826-1.1.src.rpm 
    If 'rpmbuild' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that con
    tains it, like this: 
       cnf rpmbuild
    

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    Quote Originally Posted by drhedberg View Post
    I went ahead and downloaded it just to try with your wget command but then got:

    Code:
    rpmbuild --rebuild it87-0+git20170826-1.1.src.rpm 
    If 'rpmbuild' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that con
    tains it, like this: 
       cnf rpmbuild
    
    Hi
    Install the rpmbuild package as well
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  8. #8
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Re: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Install the rpmbuild package as well
    Thanks, that was helpful! LOL. Ok, I got everything installed but above you stated: "Then install the kmp rpm as root user and modprobe it87."

    What is the kmp rpm and where do I find it?

    Thanks for all your help thus far!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    Quote Originally Posted by drhedberg View Post
    Thanks, that was helpful! LOL. Ok, I got everything installed but above you stated: "Then install the kmp rpm as root user and modprobe it87."

    What is the kmp rpm and where do I find it?

    Thanks for all your help thus far!
    Hi
    If you look at the last 10-15 lines of the build output, it will tell you where the rpm is, probably;
    Code:
    /home/<your_username>/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/it87-kmp-default-0+git20170826_k4.12.9_1-0.x86_64.rpm
    So as root user;
    Code:
    zypper in /home/<your_username>/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/it87-kmp-default-0+git20170826_k4.12.9_1-0.x86_64.rpm
    modprobe -r it87
    modprobe it87
    sensors
    If the output is no different for the kernel one, then remove the rpm and just use the default one.

    If it's not loading on boot, the if you look at the other thread, just need to create an it87.conf file containing it87 and you should be good to go.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  10. #10
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Re: Need help monitoring CPU temperature in AMD Ryzen 1700

    It is working now! I found the .rpm and installed it. Created the it87.conf and added it87 to it. Rebooted and sensors shows:

    Code:
    it8686-isa-0a40 
    Adapter: ISA adapter 
    in0:          +1.30 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V) 
    in1:          +1.99 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V) 
    in2:          +2.02 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V) 
    in3:          +2.00 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V) 
    in4:          +0.89 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V) 
    in5:          +0.90 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V) 
    in6:          +1.34 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V) 
    3VSB:         +3.26 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +6.12 V) 
    Vbat:         +3.10 V   
    fan1:         422 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan2:         798 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan3:         789 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan4:         500 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan5:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    temp1:        +29.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    temp2:        +39.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    temp3:        +17.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = AMD AMDSI 
    temp4:        +29.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) 
    temp5:        +36.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high = -124.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    temp6:        +42.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high = -124.0°C) 
    intrusion0:  ALARM 
    
    it8792-isa-0a60 
    Adapter: ISA adapter 
    in0:          +0.39 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in1:          +1.02 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in2:          +1.29 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    +3.3V:        +3.38 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +5.56 V) 
    in4:          +1.36 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in5:          +1.25 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V) 
    in6:          +2.78 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)  ALARM 
    3VSB:         +3.36 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +5.56 V) 
    Vbat:         +3.21 V   
    fan1:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan2:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM) 
    temp1:        +26.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    temp2:        +30.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    temp3:        +31.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor 
    intrusion0:  ALARM
    
    

    Just one last piece of the puzzle. The two CPU temperature widgets for KDE aren't showing the temperatures. Do you have any recommendations on what I can use to monitor the temperatures in real time rather than just the sensors command which is a snapshot?

    Thanks for all your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •