Thread: Sane aborts with floating point error

Default Sane aborts with floating point error

I have a Canoscan Lide 220 on Leap 42.3 x86-64 with the Sane 1.0.27-123.1 backends from the Graphics Project repository. The scanner is found and configured by Yast but both Skanlite and Xsane abort with
    Code:
    Floating point exception (core dumped)
    message when a preview is reequested (when run from a command line).

Any help with finding the core dump and solving the problem would be appreciated.

Peter

Cool Re: Sane aborts with floating point error

A quick search revealed that, the Skanlite code has a segment fault issue caused by a failure to check for out-of-range floating point values.

A quick and dirty fix seems to be: "use another USB port" -- there's also a port related USB power supply issue which provokes the segment fault.

Default Re: Sane aborts with floating point error

I bought one of these a year ago when the light source failed on a Lide-110
    There are several bug-reports about this model and also the current sane-backends.

Sane does not work reliably, if at all, with USB-3. Use a USB-2 port if one is available.

There was still no working driver for the Lide-220 last month. I had eventually bought another Lide-110.
    The alternative was to use proprietary software (there is a free trial which I tried on Leap-42.2 and Tumbleweed, both with Plasma5) which despite being based on sane seems to work even on a USB-3 port.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH