Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: black screen after restarting/rebooting

  1. #1

    Default black screen after restarting/rebooting

    Hi, I 'm on opensuse leap 42.3 since the release date on a desktop pc.A few days ago, I've come across this problem:when I try to reboot, pc shuts down and a black screen welcomes me, where there is nothing else to do than manually shut down the pc.Every other power choice work's fine(shut down, logout, e.t.c.). Any suggestions here?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Re: black screen after restarting/rebooting

    Please post the Graphical User Interface configured on the machine suffering this issue -- "KDE" or, "GNOME" or, "Xfce" or, "LXDE" or, whatever.

    Please also check that, the system is being rebooted by means of the systemd command "systemctl reboot" -- the SystemV command "init 6" should also function as expected -- it is normally translated to "systemctl reboot".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Piemont
    Posts
    274

    Default Re: black screen after restarting/rebooting

    You can give some information about Computer Hardware, and any video drivers in use ?
    loyalty returns to those who practice it

  4. #4

    Default Re: black screen after restarting/rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Please post the Graphical User Interface configured on the machine suffering this issue -- "KDE" or, "GNOME" or, "Xfce" or, "LXDE" or, whatever.

    Please also check that, the system is being rebooted by means of the systemd command "systemctl reboot" -- the SystemV command "init 6" should also function as expected -- it is normally translated to "systemctl reboot".
    I'm on kde.I use the reboot button from the menu, how can I check the above info?
    Quote Originally Posted by V_idocq View Post
    You can give some information about Computer Hardware, and any video drivers in use ?
    Model: "Intel 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3"
    Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
    Device: pci 0x3a36 "82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3"
    SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
    SubDevice: pci 0x82d4 "P5Q Deluxe Motherboard"
    Driver: "uhci_hcd"

    Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
    Device: pci 0xaa30 "RV770 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4850/4870]"
    Driver: "snd_hda_intel"
    Are these enough, or you need something more specific?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Re: black screen after restarting/rebooting

    Assuming that, the Display Manager is "SDDM", please check the content of "/etc/sddm.conf" and in particular the value of the parameter "RebootCommand=". For the case of "KDM" being used as the Display Manager, the content of "/usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc" needs to be checked.

  6. #6

    Default Re: black screen after restarting/rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Assuming that, the Display Manager is "SDDM", please check the content of "/etc/sddm.conf" and in particular the value of the parameter "RebootCommand=". For the case of "KDM" being used as the Display Manager, the content of "/usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc" needs to be checked.
    sddm.conf:
    "[Theme]
    Current=breeze-openSUSE
    CursorTheme=breeze_cursors

    [XDisplay]
    ServerPath=/usr/bin/X
    SessionCommand=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
    DisplayCommand=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup
    MinimumVT=7
    [Autologin]
    # Username for autologin session
    User=h***s"
    no rebootcommand here!
    And there is no such folder(kdm) on usr/share/kde4/config!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Re: black screen after restarting/rebooting

    Given that, the default value for the "sddm.conf" parameter "RebootCommand=" is "/usr/bin/systemctl reboot", the behaviour from either within a KDE session or at the SDDM Greeter screen, should be just that.

    Please post the behaviour for the case that, the machine's user logs out from the KDE session and then the "reboot" button of the SDDM Greeter screen is pressed.

    Please also, setup a new ("fresh") "Test" user and check if this issue also occurs with the new user.

  8. #8

    Default Re: black screen after restarting/rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Given that, the default value for the "sddm.conf" parameter "RebootCommand=" is "/usr/bin/systemctl reboot", the behaviour from either within a KDE session or at the SDDM Greeter screen, should be just that.

    Please post the behaviour for the case that, the machine's user logs out from the KDE session and then the "reboot" button of the SDDM Greeter screen is pressed.

    Please also, setup a new ("fresh") "Test" user and check if this issue also occurs with the new user.
    Well, this one is strange!
    I did press "reboot" on the SDDM Greeter screen(after logging out) and it worked fine(that's a nice workaround I thought).Then I gave it another chance from the same user as before, using again the reboot button from the menu and...it worked!!!I had this problem for more than 10 days, tried at least 20 times and never worked, and now it's gone!What happened?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Re: black screen after restarting/rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by hara75gr View Post
    What happened?
    Possibly something in the KDE user cache: ~/.cache/

    If the affected user is logged out then, either with an administrator account or, the user, login via a TTY VT ( <Ctrl + Alt + F1> or F2; F3; F4; F5; F6 -- TTYs 1 through 6 ) and then remove everything in the user's .cache/ directory. Also check "/tmp/kde-<User Name>/.

    Once the cache has been emptied, select TTY7 ( <Ctrl + Alt + F7> ) -- the SDDM Greeter screen -- and login again.

  10. #10

    Default Re: black screen after restarting/rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Possibly something in the KDE user cache: ~/.cache/

    If the affected user is logged out then, either with an administrator account or, the user, login via a TTY VT ( <Ctrl + Alt + F1> or F2; F3; F4; F5; F6 -- TTYs 1 through 6 ) and then remove everything in the user's .cache/ directory. Also check "/tmp/kde-<User Name>/.

    Once the cache has been emptied, select TTY7 ( <Ctrl + Alt + F7> ) -- the SDDM Greeter screen -- and login again.
    these will remove every change and preference I've made to the system, right?I'll consider doing this, if it happens again.Thanks for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •