Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: kernel sources

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    29

    Default kernel sources

    Is there a repo that contains the kernel sources packages for the prior kernel 4.12.7 that I still have installed? I haven't able to find it there is only 4.12.8 now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: kernel sources

    Perhaps a little background as to why I am looking for the older source.

    I installed using the Aug 18th snapshot (4.12.7) kernel. Wireless was working beautifully. Unfortunately I need to compile the Nvidia module (340.102) for the older kernel. But thats not the real problem the problem I am trying to figure out has to do with wireless.

    After doing an update to the 4.12.8 kernel wireless is no longer working, or at least 5G wireless is no longer working. In KDE if I configure the adapter and scan network the 5G sid no longer appears just the 2.4G one. If I configure the 2.4G for this card it does not work.

    I did dig up an old PCI card that does work so I am not completely without network. It does seem to find the firmware.

    Code:
    [  275.539466] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
    [  275.542826] rt2800usb 1-9.1:1.0 wlp0s20u9u1: renamed from wlan0
    [  312.535807] ieee80211 phy1: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2870.bin'
    [  312.539190] ieee80211 phy1: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Firmware detected - version: 0.36
    [  315.132558] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp0s20u9u1: link is not ready

    The card that works is.

    04:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2500 Wireless 802.11bg (rev 01)


    The card I would like to get working is.

    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0b05:179d ASUSTek Computer, Inc. USB-N53 802.11abgn Network Adapter [Ralink RT3572]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,336
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: kernel sources

    Quote Originally Posted by mike1022 View Post
    Perhaps a little background as to why I am looking for the older source.

    I installed using the Aug 18th snapshot (4.12.7) kernel. Wireless was working beautifully. Unfortunately I need to compile the Nvidia module (340.102) for the older kernel. But thats not the real problem the problem I am trying to figure out has to do with wireless.

    After doing an update to the 4.12.8 kernel wireless is no longer working, or at least 5G wireless is no longer working. In KDE if I configure the adapter and scan network the 5G sid no longer appears just the 2.4G one. If I configure the 2.4G for this card it does not work.

    I did dig up an old PCI card that does work so I am not completely without network. It does seem to find the firmware.

    Code:
    [  275.539466] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
    [  275.542826] rt2800usb 1-9.1:1.0 wlp0s20u9u1: renamed from wlan0
    [  312.535807] ieee80211 phy1: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2870.bin'
    [  312.539190] ieee80211 phy1: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Firmware detected - version: 0.36
    [  315.132558] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp0s20u9u1: link is not ready

    The card that works is.

    04:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2500 Wireless 802.11bg (rev 01)


    The card I would like to get working is.

    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0b05:179d ASUSTek Computer, Inc. USB-N53 802.11abgn Network Adapter [Ralink RT3572]
    Hi
    The joys of using a rolling development release, always moving forward.... If your using btrfs you could roll back to an earlier snapshot?

    Best to look at raising a bug with your issue;
    openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: kernel sources

    I am using btrfs as it was the default. I will have to look into snapshots, never actually used them yet so I'll read up on them first.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: kernel sources

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    The joys of using a rolling development release, always moving forward.... If your using btrfs you could roll back to an earlier snapshot?

    Best to look at raising a bug with your issue;
    openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    I am going to hold off a bit on reverting to snapshot. Since I just submitted a bug, and the devs may need more info on this non working system.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,336
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: kernel sources

    Quote Originally Posted by mike1022 View Post
    I am going to hold off a bit on reverting to snapshot. Since I just submitted a bug, and the devs may need more info on this non working system.
    Hi
    Yes, now a bug is submitted. Can you post the bug reference
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: kernel sources

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Yes, now a bug is submitted. Can you post the bug reference
    Sure thing.

    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1055826

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    13,295
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: kernel sources

    To compile the kernel module, you don't want the kernel source (that's mainly for re-building the main kernel, not kernel modules).
    You probably only need the kernel development headers.

    Unfortunately,
    I don't think that any kernel packages(and their source and headers) are preserved, it's not in any repos I'm familiar with, and when I look at the openSUSE github site, the kernel repo seems to be structured to support only building in the main branch and does not build different kernels in their own branches.

    I didn't search OBS to see if there's something there(I've never been very good at finding unusual stuff in OBS anyway).

    But, I can suggest a try...
    With your system running with your target kernel version, you can try to install "kernel-devel" with the following command. It won't install headers specific to your old kernel but will install general headers, and that may be all you need for your build. For comparison, when VMware and Virtualbox required building Guest Tools/Additions, I was able to always build kernel modules successfully by specifying only the general headers and never specified the headers specific to a specific kernel.
    Code:
    zypper in kernel-devel
    Good Luck,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    13,295
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: kernel sources

    And,
    I assume you're reading this simultaneous thread on possibly the same topic where several people have described what works for them and some additional references for information? That thread may address issues installing yoru nVidia driver in a current kernel instead of trying to build on an older kernel.

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-Nvidia-driver

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: kernel sources

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    And,
    I assume you're reading this simultaneous thread on possibly the same topic where several people have described what works for them and some additional references for information? That thread may address issues installing yoru nVidia driver in a current kernel instead of trying to build on an older kernel.

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-Nvidia-driver

    TSU
    The issue wasn't actually to with Nvidia, the issue was with the wireless adapter. The installing nvidia on the older kernel was a side issue that occured while trying to fix the wireless. I was trying to revert to the old kernel to try the wireless issue there, but without sources couldn't build the module.

    I have tried reverting the snapshot, and for whatever reason that didn't help the wireless issue. I was hoping it would since it was working when the snapshot was made. The update after that snapshot was done with wireless working.


    However since I needed this system working I have installed LEAP now. I have the bad install tucked away on another drive in case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •