Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New dual boot installation - bootloader/gpt & uefi/ secureboot questions

Default New dual boot installation - bootloader/gpt & uefi/ secureboot questions

Hi,

I'm building a desktop to dual-boot Leap 42.3 and W10.
    Windows 10 is already installed in UEFI/secureboot mode and shrunk to half the SSD size, for Leap installation.

SSD is a Samsung 840 Evo, updated with the latest firmware. It currently has 4 gpt partitions created by windows 10, as reported by gparted:

Code:
     /dev/sda1 450 MB NTFS (recovery)
     /dev/sda2  99 MB EFI system partition
     /dev/sda3  16 MB MS reserved partition (file system unknown)
     /dev/sda4 100 GB NTFS Basic Data partition
     132 GB unallocated space.
    MoBo is a Gigabyte H81M-H (LGA 1150) with latest firmware, rev. F9 (08/11/2015).

Relevant BIOS settings, AFAIU, are currently this:

Code:
    Boot Option #1: Windows Boot Manager (on SATA0 SSD)
    Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

Windows 8 Features: Windows 8
    CSM Support: Always
      Boot mode Selection: UEFI only
      Storage boot Option Control: UEFI First
    Other PCI Device ROM Priority: UEFI OpROM

info only: System Mode State: Setup
    info only: Secure Boot State: Disabled
    I don't understand this last line, as right below there are the following settings:

Code:
    Secure Boot: Enabled
    Secure Boot Mode: Standard
    Time is set to local in BIOS, and shown correctly in W10.

SSD is a Samsung 840 Evo, updated with the latest firmware.

There's also a 1TB HDD with a backup of the previous oS 42.1 /etc and /home folders, that I intend to selectively restore to the SSD (nfs shares, thunderbird and FF folders, etc).

This HDD has 209 GB unallocated space at the beginning and a /dev/sda4 XFS partition with the backup and a lot of work data I need to keep. It's partition table is msdos, not gpt. The unallocated space previously housed three partitions of the previous oS 42.1 install.

My main concern is to avoid damaging the Windows installation, as it houses a suite of bought-and-paid-for expensive software that are a PITA to reinstall, with multiple harware/IP locks. One of them (SAP2000) broke in a test W10 VM and it took 2 months to get it authenticated again, due to the very severe lock-down the publisher sees fit to use. Even de-authenticating it was fraught with pitfalls. Also transferring W10 and Office 2016 took a lot of comings and goings with MS support.

My intention is to install LEAP from the DVD, set to UEFI in the BIOS. I intend to disable the HDD in BIOS during installation, so the installer will only see the SSD.

So I'd like to ask for help on the following concerns I have:

1) Where (which partition) should the grub2 bootloader be installed on /sda? And the boot flag? The default installation settings should work?

2) Can I partition the HDD unallocated space at the beginning as one partition only (either NTFS for W10 drive D or an additional linux FS for data), so there'd be only /sdb1 and /sdb4 or the missing /sdb2 and /sdb3 will cause problems?

3)
    Secure boot is enabled or not? What's better for this work machine?

There. A long preamble for a few questions
    Thank you;

Blog Entries

Default Re: New dual boot installation - bootloader/gpt & uefi/ secureboot questions

Hi

Re: 1) - So you don't use a bootloader as such, so not boot flag, it's UEFi boot, so you can share /dev/sda2 with windows, just during install select the expert partitioner and then rescan the disk and select the partition sda2 as 'Not To Format' and select the mount point as /boot/efi. Windows 10 uses about 26MB and an openSUSE install ~20MB so 100MB is fine for /dev/sda2.

In windows add a registry key for RealTimeIsUniversal (google the location for this ) and set the BIOS clock to UTC time.

You only need 40GB for / if using btrfs on /dev/sda if using the SSD, use the rest for home, put the swap on the rotating drive?

On or off for secure boot, your call, I have no problems with it, you may at times when booting get a new key request update from MokManager.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: New dual boot installation - bootloader/gpt & uefi/ secureboot questions

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    So you don't use a bootloader as such, so not boot flag, it's UEFi boot, so you can share /dev/sda2 with windows
    Ahhhh, sound of penny dropping...

Thanks Malcolm, you are a prince!

(and I'm still smiling at your avatar )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    My main concern is to avoid damaging the Windows installation, as it houses a suite of bought-and-paid-for expensive software that are a PITA to reinstall, with multiple harware/IP locks. One of them (SAP2000) broke in a test W10 VM and it took 2 months to get it authenticated again, due to the very severe lock-down the publisher sees fit to use. Even de-authenticating it was fraught with pitfalls. Also transferring W10 and Office 2016 took a lot of comings and goings with MS support.
    If it were me, then I would first take an image of the current system with something like Acronis True Image.

Beyond that, I'm mainly agreeing with Malcolm.

1) Where (which partition) should the grub2 bootloader be installed on /sda? And the boot flag? The default installation settings should work?
    You are using UEFI. So grub isn't installed to a partition. Part of it will end up in your EFI partition ("/dev/sda2"), but it won't use a lot of space there. The installer should recognize that this is a UEFI system, and it should want to mount your EFI partition at "/boot/efi". It will put around 4M of files there. But most of grub will be in "/boot", probably part of your root partition.

3) Secure boot is enabled or not? What's better for this work machine?
    I would leave it enabled. You can always disable later if there is a problem. Opensuse 42.3 should be fine with secure-boot enabled.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4 Beta; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Thanks for your insight, nrickert. You raise good points, specially this:

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If it were me, then I would first take an image of the current system with something like Acronis True Image.
    I've created three primary partitions in the HDD unallocated space, like this:

Code:
    /dev/sdb1 280 GB NTFS (for windows D)
    /dev/sdb2   8 GB EXT4 (for /tmp, if advisable)
    /dev/sdb3   2 GB EXT4 (for /var/log if advisable)
    /dev/sda4 641 GB XFS  (existing backup partition)
    The idea is to save a image file of the four windows partitions in /dev/sdb1 (a future windows D drive, maybe, or additional backup storage for syncthing).

I'm not sure, however, if it's enough to image the three partitions (~ 100,6 GB) and the EFI partition has everything needed to restore the image later or if windows use something like a boot sector or flag outside these partitions, that I'd have to backup too (it seems not, as per your and Malcolm comments).

Worst case, /dev/sdb1 is large enough to hold a full uncompressed SSD image. But if I have to restore the image I'll loose the Leap install.

I'm reading on Acronis (paid for) e Macrium, its free home version appear do do what I want.

Cheers,

Code:
    /dev/sdb2   8 GB EXT4 (for /tmp, if advisable)
    /dev/sdb3   2 GB EXT4 (for /var/log if advisable)
    As a side note, these are equal to how I partitioned my main desktop, to keep these frequently written directories off the SSD. I'm not sure if this is still relevant, given the improved wear leveling on SSDs, but I think it won't do any harm.

(and this also sidestep item 2 of post #1)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    I'm reading on Acronis (paid for) e Macrium, its free home version appear do do what I want.
    I've use Acronis. I've heard good reports on Macrium (free version), but I don't have any experience with it.

With Acronis, I have twice replaced a disk and restored to the new disk from the most recent backup. Once was for Vista, and the other for Windows 7. And it worked perfectly, and booted without anything extra needed.

On another computer, I wanted to resize/move partitions with GParted. So I took an Acronis backup first, for safety. The resize worked -- sort of. But Windows complained. Running CHKDSK fixed most of the problems. But then, I decided to just restore from the Acronis backup (to a different partition size). And that worked with no problems at all.

On "/tmp": I would probably mount that from "tmpfs". Perhaps swap should go to a regular hard drive, particularly if you have plenty of memory so that swap is not much used.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4 Beta; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Check flash settings efibootmgr

Since you had a previous install it maybe that the flash point to he wrong thing ie leftover entries

Just did a disk image with Macrium free, it was very easy (way more than with Clonezilla). Also no PUPS at install, which is a big plus for me when using windows.

I made the image from the rescue CD it let you create, not from windows. The four partitions totaled ~29 GB used, the compressed image is ~15 GB.

Macrium seems to be a good tool for lazy GUI guys like me - supposing an eventual restore works, of course.

Now on to installing LEAP

On another computer, I wanted to resize/move partitions with GParted. So I took an Acronis backup first, for safety. The resize worked -- sort of. But Windows complained. Running CHKDSK fixed most of the problems.
    This happened the two or so times I used a not-windows-app to resize a windows partition, but the check it does (on reboot IINM) always fixed it completely.

On "/tmp": I would probably mount that from "tmpfs". Perhaps swap should go to a regular hard drive, particularly if you have plenty of memory so that swap is not much used.
    It has only 8 GB RAM, and as LEAP may eventually run VMs, perhaps it would be better to put swap on the SSD. Or perhaps not, VM use won't be as heavy on the main desktop - 24 GB, and swap was used a few times, but at least once because of a runaway app in a VM.

About /tmp, I tend to use 5+ GB as the machine has a DVD writer, and K3B and other recorders put temporary images there by default, and that's obviously too much for 8 GB total RAM. I could change each recorder's temp folder, but I've forgotten to do this more than once...

Thanks for your help, nrickert, it is much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast