Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YaST User management not working

Question YaST User management not working

I have upgraded from OpenSuSe-13.1-32-bit with OpenSuSE-Tumbleweed-NET-i586-Snapshot from a USB stick. When I reboot, it takes an excessive time for the logon screen to appear with the correct (only) user name. It accepts the password and then after some time returns to the logon screen. However, if I boot up with the recovery version, it comes up promptly with the desktop without any password. I am able to use YaST with the correct password but "User and Group management" does nothing. It appear a module is missing from the setup. Help would be much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: YaST User management not working

Quote Originally Posted by Newoptimist View Post
    I have upgraded from OpenSuSe-13.1-32-bit with OpenSuSE-Tumbleweed-NET-i586-Snapshot from a USB stick. When I reboot, it takes an excessive time for the logon screen to appear with the correct (only) user name. It accepts the password and then after some time returns to the logon screen. However, if I boot up with the recovery version, it comes up promptly with the desktop without any password. I am able to use YaST with the correct password but "User and Group management" does nothing. It appear a module is missing from the setup. Help would be much appreciated.
    Perform a clean TW install. Too much has changed. You can still preserve your partitioning, users, /home ( if on a separate partition )
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Are you saying I have to "install" rather than "upgrade"?

Thumbs down Re: YaST User management not working

I started again: this time doing a full install rather than an upgrade. The result was that, on booting up the new system, pI am still unable to log in. It just waits almost 10 minutes to return the login page in spite of the correct details being given. Furthermore, I get the same result when I boot up the recovery option whereas it gave access to my system when I had previously used the upgrade version. I have now reverted to version 13.2. Eversince version 7.0 I have been installing (Open)SuSE with no problems. Leap is running well on my laptop but, since my PC is only 32-bit I had to try TumbleWeed i568. I appears 32-bit has been sidelined and not fully tested.
    Ccmments would be welcome.

Blog Entries

What's the video card involved ?
    Does this happen for a newly created user ?
    Do you see any error messages when hitting Esc after booting the TW install ?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

The video card is Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2. Unable to create a new user as as unable to login to system now but I did create a new one during install but made no difference. No error messagrs seen.

Hu Knurpht

I'm afraid I misled you. My graphics card is: GeForce FX 5200 (0x0322).
    Does this have a bearing on 32-bit Tumbleweed constantly returning the login page even though I have logged in?
    The page in plain black and white.

Blog Entries

Just in case this is helpful:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...95#post2747895

Open a VT eg Ctrl+Alt+F2, then login as user. Edit ~/.config/kwinrc with a CLI editor (eg nano) so that 'OpenGLIsUnsafe=false' becomes 'OpenGLIsUnsafe=true'. Save when done. Switch back to VT7, and try logging in to a graphical session again. As nrickert suggested changing the rendering backend to 'XRender' might also be beneficial.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 03-Sep-2017 at 18:57.

No offense ...
    But the title does not reflect the topic of the post
    loyalty returns to those who practice it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by V_idocq View Post
    No offense ...
    But the title does not reflect the topic of the post
    Unfortunately all too common...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast