Random Freezes in KDE5/Xfce

Hello,
A bit of a background: I was using Mint 17.2 KDE and it was working without any problems then I upgraded to Linux Mint 18.2 KDE and it was a mess, I downgraded to linux mint 17.3 and I was locked out and was not able to log in, since I don’t have the time I went back to my old friend openSUSE.

Yesterday I installed openSUSE leap and I chose KDE and it was better than mint 18.2 but it was a mess. It froze and logged me out when I was watching a movie on smplayer multiple times so I downloaded VLC which worked without problems, then it froze when I was browsing using firefox, so I installed opera

Today after installing all my servers and restoring all my previous work I was doing a lengthy jmeter test and my son was watching a movie on another screen when it froze again.

I thought KDE was the problem so I downgraded to KDE 4 and I was locked out of KDE altogether as I can not find KDE/Plasma in the login screen

I used Xfce and restarted the jmeter test when it froze again, this time jmeter, opera, ksysguard and dolphin were running. and it froze the laptop while using about 20% of the CPU and about 2.4GB / 8GB of RAM

I am using opensuse on my Samsung np300v5a laptop core i5 with 8GB Ram and a 4 GB swap (i know) it has both intel and nvidia display adapters but I did not install any drivers for nvidia
I have LAMP and a file-server installed through the default opensuse installer.
I upgraded the stock mariadb to version 10.2.8

Currenlty I don’t have the time or resources (Internet download quota) to download another Linux so is there a way to fix this issue?

When you say “freeze” do you mean a pause or do you mean your system is locked and you need to reboot to regain control of your system?
Have you updated your system? You can do so by running the following command in an elevated console

zypper up

Have you verified your hard drive is healthy?
Install smartmontools and read the results.

If your hard drive is an SSD, have you implemented trim/discard)?

There are several ways you can monitor your system in real time…
KDE provides you with a number of useful Plasma widgets.
You can also read your journal (system log) to standard out (a console) in real time with the following command

journalctl -f

TSU

Thank you TSU,
What I mean by freeze is the computer is no longer usable it stays this way for about 30 seconds then logs me out to enter my password and log back in and it happened once that I needed a restart.

I have updated openSUSE a few hours ago and I am not facing any problems until now. even the slight problems I faced when compressing large files are gone now.

I did a short test on my hard drive and it returned no errors

The command I used to install KDE 4 is:

sudo zypper in kdebase4-session kdebase4-workspace kdebase4-workspace-addons kd
ebase4-workspace-ksysguardd kdebase4-runtime kdelibs4support kscreen kate4-parts konsole4-part kdm 
dolphin4

And now don’t know how to log back in KDE 4 or KDE 5 (KDE is not available in the login screen)
Can you please help me with that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Okay, I’m back to KDE5
for those facing my same problem the solution is easy:
go to yast > software manager > choose patterns from the upper left drop down menu > check KDE Plasma 5 Desktop & KDE desktop environment