Thread: [Leap 42.1][GNOME] How can a launcher be created on the desktop?

Question [Leap 42.1][GNOME] How can a launcher be created on the desktop?

I'm running Leap 42.1 x64 (GNOME) under VirtualBox and cannot seem to get an application launcher created on the desktop. I figured this would be dead simple, but I cannot see a way to do it. Could someone respond with the steps to create an application launcher on the desktop? I have already enabled desktop icons (e.g. I see my home directory icon and the trash icon).

Note that all of the searches I've done thus far seem to only cover KDE and the GNOME docs don't seem to cover creating an application launcher.

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Leap 42.1][GNOME] How can a launcher be created on the desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by alewptc View Post
    I'm running Leap 42.1 x64 (GNOME) under VirtualBox and cannot seem to get an application launcher created on the desktop. I figured this would be dead simple, but I cannot see a way to do it. Could someone respond with the steps to create an application launcher on the desktop? I have already enabled desktop icons (e.g. I see my home directory icon and the trash icon).

Note that all of the searches I've done thus far seem to only cover KDE and the GNOME docs don't seem to cover creating an application launcher.
    Hi and welcome to the Forum

Is this an already installed application that has a menu entry? If so then open a terminal or nautilus and just copy the installed file from the directory /usr/share/applications to ~/Desktop folder.

Else if it's a specific script or app, then you need to create a someapp.desktop file, so some more details needed....
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 22-Aug-2017 at 11:17.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

It's not an app that has an icon/launcher already. I just assumed there would be a "Create Launcher" context menu item like I've seen in other GNOME installations. Does openSuSE not have this sort of configuration? Is there a reasonably straightforward way to add such a context menu item?

I'm aware of how to create a launcher manually by creating a xxxx.desktop file, however I was hoping there was a one-click or a context menu item to do so.

Thanks for the quick reply!

After a few more searches, apparently there is an easier way. You can browse to whichever executable you wish to place on your desktop, click-and-drag the executable to the desktop and hold down the ALT key before releasing the click. Then you can select to move, copy, or link to the executable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alewptc View Post
    It's not an app that has an icon/launcher already. I just assumed there would be a "Create Launcher" context menu item like I've seen in other GNOME installations. Does openSuSE not have this sort of configuration? Is there a reasonably straightforward way to add such a context menu item?

I'm aware of how to create a launcher manually by creating a xxxx.desktop file, however I was hoping there was a one-click or a context menu item to do so.

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Hi
    Well sort of, there is Alacarte or Main Menu where you can add them, once there it will be in ~/.local/share/applications and move it to the Desktop folder.

There use to be an application called Arronax around... but not built for the later releases...
    https://www.florian-diesch.de/software/arronax/
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!