Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox: Leap 42.x Host & Guest: Scroll Wheel Problems.

Default VirtualBox: Leap 42.x Host & Guest: Scroll Wheel Problems.

Hi,

I am suffering from the problems described here: Problems with Mouse Scroll Wheel
    Yesterday a solution (I hope) was offered. However, I am having trouble understanding the advice. Would anyone mind "single-stepping" me through it?

I'm guessing I need to start here: "
    ... you'll need to install the evdev driver (it's named different things in different distro's, google the package name and double check that it's installed before continuing)...
    1. I could only find one vague suggestion that evdev is included in xorg? If this is so, what is the formal name of the xorg package that evdev is included in?
    2. if evdev is installed (or I am able to install it after solving 1. above), how do I test if it is active?

'nuff for now. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Martin
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5.12.8;

Blog Entries

Default Re: VirtualBox: Leap 42.x Host & Guest: Scroll Wheel Problems.

Quote Originally Posted by martinprowe View Post
    Hi,

I am suffering from the problems described here: Problems with Mouse Scroll Wheel
    Yesterday a solution (I hope) was offered. However, I am having trouble understanding the advice. Would anyone mind "single-stepping" me through it?

I'm guessing I need to start here: "
    1. I could only find one vague suggestion that evdev is included in xorg? If this is so, what is the formal name of the xorg package that evdev is included in?
    2. if evdev is installed (or I am able to install it after solving 1. above), how do I test if it is active?

'nuff for now. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Martin
    The evdev Xorg input driver is supplied by the 'xf86-input-evdev' package. It may already be installed. Check with...
    Code:
    zypper se -s xf86-input-evdev
    Even if it is installed, by default libinput will take precedence due to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf. Rather than editing 40-libinput as suggested in the page you linked to, I would recommend copying 10-evdev.conf as 80-evdev.conf so that it will take precedence. Once done, restart the host X-server and check that evdev is now in use...

Code:
    grep "Using input" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Blog Entries

Note that if you're using Gnome, Xorg will run rootless, and the Xorg log is located in the ~/.local/share/xorg/ directory.

I cannot reproduce this issue, so I might be mistaken, but my understanding reading the VirtualBox forum post is that the problem might be on the GUEST side, so the good advice by deano_ferrari might apply to the files in the guest system.
    Also be aware that relevant files are also installed at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (anyway renaming to 80-evdev.conf will take precedence wherever it might be).
    Just my two cents.
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2

Blog Entries

I haven't had pointing device problems in Virtualbox for quite awhile,
    and I wouldn't know if the OP in the referenced thread tried it, but before the his "workaround" he should have tried changing the default PS/2 Mouse pointing device setting to one of or each of the USB tablet settings(Guest System Settings).

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    I cannot reproduce this issue, so I might be mistaken, but my understanding reading the VirtualBox forum post is that the problem might be on the GUEST side, so the good advice by deano_ferrari might apply to the files in the guest system.
    Also be aware that relevant files are also installed at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (anyway renaming to 80-evdev.conf will take precedence wherever it might be).
    Just my two cents.
    Thank you all for your very prompt advice.
    Just to clear up some of the points raised in this thread.
    1. I am using KDE not GNOME.
    2. The problem is on the GUEST. LEAP 42.2 and 42.3 guests running under a 42.3 host.
    3. Yes, I do have the xf86-input-evdev package installed.
    4. The 10-evdev.conf (1.1KB), 11-evdev.conf (484Bytes) and 40-libinput.conf only exist in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Next, I do not understand the precedence renaming (renumbering) point you are making. I thought that, if I wanted to override a file, I needed to add a file that is LOWER than the installed file.
    For example 10-evdev.conf will override 11-evdev.conf. Have I got this wrong?

Lastly, putting the precedence issue aside. If I want to override 40-libinput.conf should I not be renaming 10-evdev.conf to 39-libinput.conf?

Regards, Martin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martinprowe View Post
    Next, I do not understand the precedence renaming (renumbering) point you are making. I thought that, if I wanted to override a file, I needed to add a file that is LOWER than the installed file.
    For example 10-evdev.conf will override 11-evdev.conf. Have I got this wrong?
    The file processed last will take precedence. It's easy enough to test....
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
    sudo mv 10-evdev.conf 80-evdev.conf
    After the X-server is restarted, you'll find evdev in use. In fact, using the 'MatchProduct' option, it can be limited to just supporting a particular device.

Check which Xorg input drivers are in use for the given input devices using...
    Code:
    grep "Using input" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Thank you Deano,

Yep. I guess I got it wrong (again!). After renaming to 80-evdev.conf, I get...

Code:
    linux-a6cr:~ # grep "Using input" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [    39.580] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
    [    39.614] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Sleep Button'
    [    39.615] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
    [    39.616] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'VirtualBox mouse integration'
    [    39.617] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
    [    39.618] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse'
    linux-a6cr:~ #
    The bad news (for me) is, that it has not fixed my mouse wheel problem. Ho hum.... Back to the VirtualBox fourum we go ...

Regards, Martin

Blog Entries

Can you confirm if you're experiencing this issue with the guest only? A littel more description would be useful here. The page you linked described having an issue affecting erratic scrolling in KDE applications, but not with firefox apparently. That would point to an issue with the Plasma 5 desktop environment rather than with Xorg.

Morning Deano,

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Can you confirm if you're experiencing this issue with the guest only?
    Yes. That is correct. The host is fine. The problem is with the guest. In fact all the guests I have tested.
    This is limited to SuSE guests though - LEAP 42.2, 42.3 & Tumbleweed. I DID NOT see these problems before upgrading VirtualBox to version 5.1.26

The page you linked described having an issue affecting erratic scrolling in KDE applications, but not with firefox apparently.
    Yes, that is correct. All the browsers I have tested (Firefox, SeaMonkey, Chrome & Midori) are fine.

I see the same problems in both Plasma 5 and IceWM.

Applications where I see problems are: The Application launcher (cascading pop-up menus), Dolphin (panes with scroll bar showing), Konsole, Applets (Kfind etc) and many more.

It has been suggested that I install "IMWheel". However, I am a little reluctant to do this as it seems that imwheel is application specific (yet to be confirmed) and will I forever having to re-configure the workaround each time I use a new application!

Best regards, Martin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast