help with grub

I recently updated from 42.2 to 42.3 with great difficulty but got it done. Grub did not find my other installs as in the past. I have two disks with two versions of openSUSE and Windows (7 & 10) installed. How do I get the grub menu to find them?

have you tried the Boot Loader tool in Yast under system?
This pagemaybe of help also.

Is it possible that your update switched you from legacy booting to EFI booting? Or from EFI booting to legacy booting?

Run YAST > System > Bootloader.

Or open a root terminal and type in grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

I had to do this yesterday after an update disabled YAST. I’ve cleared that problem with help from a member here.

Vide “Update Disabled YAST.”

I seem to sense that it is something more along these lines, as well … especially since I note this in Prexy’s message:

updated from 42.2 to 42.3 with great difficulty

I think we need to know the answer to Neil’s question, and a few more details about the upgrade, especially concerning the “great difficulty”. Also, the answers to the other questions about the Yast Bootloader module.

Thanks for all the tips!

I got this sorted out. I tried running os-prober both as root and regular user but always got the “file not found” error. I had assumed that it was always part of an install. But to be sure, I looked it up in yast and found it was not installed. I used yast to install it. Then ran it as root. A reboot brought the grub menu back, showing each os on each disk. As I type this, I realize I didn’t test the menu to see if it actually loaded the other OS. I will test that now. If it doesn’t work, I’ll be back for help!

Fraser_Bell’s comment about “install with great difficulty” reminds me that I didn’t explain that. I first tried an online update from 42.2 but it failed because I was low on disk space. I tried different things to get an update but the installs either failed or, when it finally worked, deteriorated with each reboot. I gave up and did a full install with formatting the partition that 42.2 was installed on. I still have Windows 10 on that drive and Win 7 with 42.2 on the second hdd. To be clear, I blame the lack of disk space for my difficulty in installing 42.3, not openSUSE.

os-prober is normally in a default install not at all sure how it could have been missed.

Glad you got it sorted out :slight_smile:

… and that leaves me wondering what else might have been missed …