Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

  1. #1

    Exclamation [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    Hello,

    Last week we got a problem with our system. Our SO was OpenSuse 13.1 in a RAID1 and the storage in RAD5 (14 disk, 2TB each). When we want to boot, we got a message:
    "[FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV
    see 'systemctl status srv.mount' for details
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
    Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
    system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl defaul" to try again
    to boot into default mode."

    this message is in a infinite loop and cannot type anything, but the system recognize CONTROL + ALT + SUPR.
    I really have NO idea why this is happening or what I have to do.

    Do you have anyidea of what is happening or what can I do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,818

    Default Re: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    First, is this really about /SRV, /srv is more likely?

    When it is /srv, you probably have a separate file system for it because you are running a web site.

    In any case, that file system can not be mounted (on /SRV or /srv, whatever).
    Didn't you press the Esc key during boot to see what happens?

    It looks as if that file system is broken, either software of hardware. So find out where it is and e.g. check the file system and/or the disk.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,818

    Default Re: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    And of course you got the suggestion of typing "journalctl -xb". Did you do that? and when not, why not? And when yes, what did you find?

    In emergency mode, you can edit /etc/fstab en comment out the entry for /SRV (or /srv) and the try a reboot.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4

    Default Re: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    First, is this really about /SRV, /srv is more likely?

    When it is /srv, you probably have a separate file system for it because you are running a web site.

    In any case, that file system can not be mounted (on /SRV or /srv, whatever).
    Didn't you press the Esc key during boot to see what happens?

    It looks as if that file system is broken, either software of hardware. So find out where it is and e.g. check the file system and/or the disk.
    -----
    And of course you got the suggestion of typing "journalctl -xb". Did you do that? and when not, why not? And when yes, what did you find?

    In emergency mode, you can edit /etc/fstab en comment out the entry for /SRV (or /srv) and the try a reboot.

    Hi,


    sorry is "srv" not SRV. We only installed "webmin" (a web control panel). When it boot, I only have 2 options ("openSUSE 13.1" and "Advanced options for openSUSE"). when the message "journalctl -xb" appears, I cannot type anything and the message is in an infinite loop. It only recognize the CONTROL + ALT + SUPR

    Antonio

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,818

    Default Re: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    Quote Originally Posted by takeruzw View Post
    when the message "journalctl -xb" appears, I cannot type anything and the message is in an infinite loop. It only recognize the CONTROL + ALT + SUPR

    Antonio
    Sorry, but I do not understand this. When the message about "login in emergency mode ...." appears, you should see a login prompt then. Isn't that the case?

    Or o you mean that message is spontaniously repeated again and again without you doing anything?

    And choosinf for boot in Advanced options should enable you to boot in tun level 1 and then login as root in the console to do that edit.

    Also I asked if you hit Esc to see what happens!!!!
    Last edited by hcvv; 13-Aug-2017 at 09:14.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6

    Default Re: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Sorry, but I do not understand this. When the message about "login in emergency mode ...." appears, you should see a login prompt then. Isn't that the case?

    Or o you mean that message is spontaniously repeated again and again without you doing anything?

    The login prompt doesn't appear that's why I cannot type anything.

    Antonio

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,818

    Default Re: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    I apologize. I added something to my last post, but you are so quick that you probably missed it.

    And choosing for boot in Advanced options should enable you to boot in run level 1 and then login as root in the console to do that edit.

    Also I asked if you hit Esc to see what happens!!!!
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    13,295
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    You might not see a login prompt because of a loop of something preventing arrival at the login prompt.

    A possible simple solution is to try to break the loop which isn't likely critical anyway by hitting CTL-C.

    Otherwise,
    Have you tried booting to an emergency/recovery option in your GRUB menu?

    Of course,
    once you can get to either a login prompt or an emergency mode boot,
    You should execute those recommended commands to gather information about your problem, if you need help understanding the output, you can post that here or to a pastebin, and if you need help how to do that you can ask here as well.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  9. #9

    Default Re: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I apologize. I added something to my last post, but you are so quick that you probably missed it.

    And choosing for boot in Advanced options should enable you to boot in run level 1 and then login as root in the console to do that edit.

    Also I asked if you hit Esc to see what happens!!!!

    I got some photos: (sorry, I don't know why I can't attach photos, just links)

    When I press ESC got this:
    https://mega.nz/#!JN13hJ4L!iSXh097l0...oamEnZV6061qTk

    and When I choose Advance options, got this picture and don't know which I should pick:
    https://mega.nz/#!VY1UACxT!W54pvQE5J...uog-MA8Iam1l6g

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,818

    Default Re: [FAILED] Failed to mount /SRV

    Quote Originally Posted by takeruzw View Post
    I got some photos: (sorry, I don't know why I can't attach photos, just links)

    When I press ESC got this:
    https://mega.nz/#!JN13hJ4L!iSXh097l0...oamEnZV6061qTk

    and When I choose Advance options, got this picture and don't know which I should pick:
    https://mega.nz/#!VY1UACxT!W54pvQE5J...uog-MA8Iam1l6g
    You can store images here: http://paste.opensuse.org/
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •