Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KeePassXC & FireJail suddenly began conflicting in my Tower.

Question KeePassXC & FireJail suddenly began conflicting in my Tower.

I use FireJail ["FJ"] to sandbox many of my regular programs. It worked well for me in Mint KDE & Maui prior to changing to openSUSE Tumbleweed, & it also has been working well for me in oS TW., until a few weeks ago. Since then, all but one program continue to work correctly with FJ, in both my PCs. However suddenly, for no reason i've yet determined, a few weeks ago one specific pgm stopped working with FJ... but only in my Tower [it continues to be fine in my Lappy]. That pgm is KeePassXC ["KP"].

KP continues to work fine in Tower if i run it naked, ie, not in FJ. For the past few weeks though, it no longer launches with my usual custom FJ launcher. Konsole reveals what happens:
    Code:
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~> firejail --protocol=unix -- keepassxc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/keepassxc.profile
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-common.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-programs.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-devel.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-passwdmgr.inc
    Warning: a protocol list is present, the new list "unix" will not be installed
    Parent pid 16689, child pid 16690
    Child process initialized in 45.22 ms
    process 6: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/etc/machine-id": No such file or directory
    See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
      D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

Parent is shutting down, bye...
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~>
    In comparison, this is what correct operation looks like [this comes from one of my TW VMs, but is how my Tower itself also used to behave (btw, the green text is NOT a real error; it denotes no internet access, which is the whole point of using the "protocol=unix" option)]:
    Code:
    gooeygirl@linux-bgps:~> firejail --protocol=unix -- keepassxc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/keepassxc.profile
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-common.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-programs.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-devel.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-passwdmgr.inc
    Warning: a protocol list is present, the new list "unix" will not be installed
    Parent pid 19039, child pid 19040
    Child process initialized in 17.43 ms
    Qt: Session management error: Could not open network socket

Parent is shutting down, bye...
    gooeygirl@linux-bgps:~>
    Omitting the unix option does not help. Removing & reinstalling FJ & KP does not help.

I tried to investigate the red [= my colouring, above, for simple clarity in this post] error message's information, but did not get anywhere:
    1. " "/etc/machine-id": No such file or directory" --> is incorrect; this file does exist, & still has correct root ownership & permissions [-rw-rw-rw-].
    2. I looked at "man dbus-uuidgen". I took note of:

Code:
    The primary usage of dbus-uuidgen is to run in the post-install script of a D-Bus package like this:

dbus-uuidgen --ensure

This will ensure that /var/lib/dbus/machine-id exists and has the uuid in it. It won't overwrite an existing uuid, since this id should remain fixed for a single machine until the next reboot at least.

OPTIONS
    --ensure[=FILENAME]
               If a filename is not given, defaults to localstatedir/lib/dbus/machine-id (localstatedir is usually /var). If this file exists then it will be
               validated, and a failure code returned if it contains the wrong thing. If the file does not exist, it will be created with a new uuid in it. On
               success, prints no output.

I visually confirmed that /var/lib/dbus/machine-id does also exist [& with correct root ownership], indeed it is merely a symlink back to /etc/machine-id. Disbelieving it would help, i executed dbus-uuidgen --ensure ... it returned nothing, which according to the man-page is supposedly good news.

I have nothing else to try, no idea why this fault arose, its root cause, nor how to fix it.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Blog Entries

Default Re: KeePassXC & FireJail suddenly began conflicting in my Tower.

Hi
    Since the version is a few releases old in the Virtualization repo (0.9.44.4), suggest you contact the maintainer (email in link) and ask if when they have a spare moment to upgrade to the latest release 0.9.48....
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/v...anges?expand=1
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Since the version is a few releases old in the Virtualization repo (0.9.44.4), suggest you contact the maintainer (email in link) and ask if when they have a spare moment to upgrade to the latest release 0.9.48....
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/v...anges?expand=1
    Oh, no -- i don't use it from oS repos, i only get it from the FJ website. Hence, my one is already [& has been for quite a while]:
    Code:
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~> zypper info firejail
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

Information for package firejail:
    ---------------------------------
    Repository     : My_openSUSE_Repo               
    Name           : firejail                       
    Version        : 0.9.48-1                       
    Arch           : x86_64                         
    Vendor         :                                
    Installed Size : 850.7 KiB                      
    Installed      : Yes                            
    Status         : up-to-date                     
    Source package : firejail-0.9.48-1.src          
    Summary        : Linux namepaces sandbox program
    Description    :                                
        Firejail  is  a  SUID sandbox program that reduces the risk of security
        breaches by restricting the running environment of untrusted applications
        using Linux namespaces. It includes a sandbox profile for Mozilla Firefox.                                                                                   

Maybe try the one in the repo even if a few versions old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGirl View Post
    Oh, no -- i don't use it from oS repos, i only get it from the FJ website. Hence, my one is already [& has been for quite a while]:
    Code:
    gooeygirl@linux-Tower:~> zypper info firejail
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

Information for package firejail:
    ---------------------------------
    Repository     : My_openSUSE_Repo               
    Name           : firejail                       
    Version        : 0.9.48-1                       
    Arch           : x86_64                         
    Vendor         :                                
    Installed Size : 850.7 KiB                      
    Installed      : Yes                            
    Status         : up-to-date                     
    Source package : firejail-0.9.48-1.src          
    Summary        : Linux namepaces sandbox program
    Description    :                                
        Firejail  is  a  SUID sandbox program that reduces the risk of security
        breaches by restricting the running environment of untrusted applications
        using Linux namespaces. It includes a sandbox profile for Mozilla Firefox.                                                                                   

Hi
    Ahhh, well it maybe something to raise there.... do they support Tumbleweed?

As suggested try the one from the openSUSE repo and ask for an update.
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Thank you both. I have now emailed Takashi-san about possibly bringing the latest versions [FJ & FireTools] into the oS repos. I also asked for any thoughts about the possible root cause & solutions, with reference to this thread.

Regarding the suggestions / recommendations you both made about me trying the old FJ version per the repos, if all other options become eliminated then i might do that, but for now i haven't*. Given your remarks, i wish to offer this clarification: logically [at least, as it seems to me], it can't simply be a problem that my FJ version 0.9.48-1 is incompatible with Tumbleweed per se, &/or is incompatible with KeePassXC, given that for several weeks they were working very nicely together on Tower, & are still working nicely together on Lappy [same TW snapshot].

*There have been very many bugfixes & major functionality improvements in Fj from 0.9.44 to 0.9.48, such that it's my judgement that even if FJ .44 were to be ok with Tower's KP [which based on my info above is a nebulous proposition], i would be incurring a system-wide deterioration of FJ's efficacy overall & with all my other pgms i use with FJ specifically, all for the sake of a single pgm. Conversely, if i continue using the curent FJ .48, i retain all the system-wide benefits at the [admittedly disappointing] disadvantage of having to run KP "naked". I wanted to explain my logic to you given i would not want you to feel i was obstinately rejecting your advice just to be aggravating [which i unwittingly might well be, but that's not my intention at all].

If / depending on any feedback from Takashi-san, i might post this problem on the FJ Dev's website for direct advice [but at the moment it's entirely unclear to me if this is a FJ problem, a KP problem, or a TW problem].

Additionally, as soon as i get a chance, i am going to test [in a TW VM, not initially in Tower's "real" TW] what happens if i were to delete both /etc/machine-id and /var/lib/dbus/machine-id, then execute dbus-uuidgen --ensure. I will create that VM's TW to mimic my real one, ie, same file-systems, & same encrypted /home & swap... i am interested to see if those IDs somehow tie-in to the encryption, because if they do, & i subsequently delete & create them anew, i wonder if that might render /home unable to be decrypted on login... so i certainly don't want to try that cold on Tower's real TW without first knowing.

Unfortunately, no joy with the overnight reply from Takashi-san:
    > 1. Would it be possible please for you to incorporate the /latest/ versions of *FireJail* & *FireTools* in the openSUSE Tumbleweed repositories? They are /*firejail-0.9.48-1.x86_64.rpm*/ and *firetools-0.9.46-1.x86_64.rpm* respectively.

Well, I almost stopped using firejail & co, so I lost my interest. Can anyone take over the maintenance?

> 2. Do you have any ideas about what might have gone wrong with FireJail on one-only of my two computers, with respect to *KeePassXC*? They both used to work together correctly on my Tower til recently, & they still do work correctly together on my second pc.

There is no change in firejail side, at least, I haven't updated it for long time. So sorry, no idea about it.

> 3. Do you think it might be a Tumbleweed problem, or a FireJail problem? [ie, if it is a FireJail problem, then probably i should post it on the FireJail website & ask its Dev for ideas]?

We should update the package at first, maybe some profiles have been updated.

An unexpected update:
    Now I updated the firejail and firetools package to 0.9.48 and 0.9.46, respectively. Hopefully this worked better on your machine...

Takashi

For a multiplicity of reasons that had been growing for weeks, last night i did a fresh install of TW into Tower's / partition, retaining all other partitions as-is. Post-reboot, my Tower's TW is now 20170821.

Now, KeePassXC & FireJail once more play nicely together, just like they'd done for a few months in Tower until the abrupt fault arose, & just like they have continued to do in Lappy all along.. This is pleasing, but...

...if the fault ever returns, i still have no idea of root cause, hence solution [& i acknowledge that a TW reinstallation is more cheating than solution].

Oh well, fingers crossed...

Blog Entries

On Wed 23 Aug 2017 02:16:02 AM CDT, GooeyGirl wrote:

For a multiplicity of reasons that had been growing for weeks, last
    night i did a fresh install of TW into Tower's / partition, retaining
    all other partitions as-is. Post-reboot, my Tower's TW is now 20170821.

Now, KeePassXC & FireJail once more play nicely together, just like
    they'd done for a few months in Tower until the abrupt fault arose, &
    just like they have continued to do in Lappy all along.. This is
    pleasing, but...

....if the fault ever returns, i still have no idea of root cause, hence
    solution [& i acknowledge that a TW reinstallation is more cheating than
    solution].

Oh well, fingers crossed...

Hi
    More than likely some underlying library that is common between both, a
    big lua rebuild is going on so I have a few old libs lurking...

--
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.79-18.26-default

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast