Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Updated firefox to 55 from Mozilla repo, had to uninstall openjdk 8. Running on 7. Help!

Default Re: Updated firefox to 55 from Mozilla repo, had to uninstall openjdk 8. Running on 7. Help!

@Miuku Excellent! I basically left chrome once I realised it was "syncing" my passwords... Encrypted, and I was able to turn that setting off, but still. That doesn't give me a pleasant feeling. I want to feel that my browser is wholesome.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Updated firefox to 55 from Mozilla repo, had to uninstall openjdk 8. Running on 7. Help!

Hi
    You might want to keep an eye on the Mailing List thread;
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00333.html
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

An alternative suggestion is to use a tar from Mozilla's website. I put it in ~/opt/.

You would have to sacrifice openSUSE's excellent KDE integration though. But once you get past that, Firefox 55+ is an upgrade worth not waiting for. At least the Nightly channel's daily pdates are diffs, essentially 9-15 MBs, so not a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by jayesh_bhoot View Post
    An alternative suggestion is to use a tar from Mozilla's website. I put it in ~/opt/.

You would have to sacrifice openSUSE's excellent KDE integration though. But once you get past that, Firefox 55+ is an upgrade worth not waiting for. At least the Nightly channel's daily pdates are diffs, essentially 9-15 MBs, so not a hassle.
    you can unpack mozilla tar balls in your home no need to put them in /opt
    I've never used their update on a linux machine but how are you updating a Firefox binary running from /opt are you using Firefox as root?
    now that's a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    you can unpack mozilla tar balls in your home no need to put them in /opt
    I've never used their update on a linux machine but how are you updating a Firefox binary running from /opt are you using Firefox as root?
    now that's a bad idea
    I meant unpacking in opt dir in my home folder. I guess you missed the ~ in my original post. So there is no need for the root hassle. I just like to put non-repo software in a single directory. So why not go with a traditional name for that directory!

Along with the above, I added a .desktop file to add Nightly in the launcher and to make it searchable from KRunner too.

Regarding the update system, its basically a daily silent update, each consisting of about 8-9 MBs (15 MB in my original post was a stretch). That can be confirmed in the About window. So those (like me) with constrained bandwidth need not worry.

Once downloaded, you get a notification on the hamburger menu. That's your clue to restart Firefox.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123