Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated firefox to 55 from Mozilla repo, had to uninstall openjdk 8. Running on 7. Help!

Default Re: Updated firefox to 55 from Mozilla repo, had to uninstall openjdk 8. Running on 7. Help!

A reboot has not helped the situation nor worsened it. However, old versions of Minecraft do run... newer ones throw this error:
    Code:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: net/minecraft/client/main/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
    Not sure if this is error says anything about the java version or what. It's probably a coincidence that my previous version of Firefox was 52.

Default Re: Updated firefox to 55 from Mozilla repo, had to uninstall openjdk 8. Running on 7. Help!

My apologies, it's java -version , one dash not two dashes.

However the Minecraft error you are getting implies it requires Java 1.8.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Ahhh, okay. Much less panic now. Thanks!

Code:
    wilson@linux:~> java -version
    java version "1.7.0_141"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.10) (suse-43.1-x86_64)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.141-b02, mixed mode)
    Now knowing that Java does work, I believe that java 1.7.0 is insufficient for recent versions of Minecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Amlypygid View Post
    Now knowing that Java does work, I believe that java 1.7.0 is insufficient for recent versions of Minecraft.
    Yes, the error you are getting would imply that the Minecraft "binary" is designed for Java 1.8.

Unfortunately this will leave you with an older version of Firefox until they can either fix the repo or release a java update via the update repo. I doubt they'll release FF55 for 42.3 because it ships with an ESR version, the last to support plugins like Java that are still in use.

Alright. I think I'll hang tight in single-thread until Leap 15. Thanks for helping me figure this out, Miuku!
    I stand by my earlier statement: I love you openSUSE folks!

If you want a multi-threaded browser but don't want to touch Chrome, give Vivaldi a spin - I use it as my primary driver nowadays.

I run FF55 with Java 1.8 on tumbleweed, no issues at all on my installation. All plug-ins/add-ons I use and need are still working. I had to accept some dependency issue but I gave it a try and it worked.

I've tried it before, had some problems. However, I just checked, and they're since fixed. I'll give it another whirl!

Thanks for reminding me.

Do you allow it to save passwords? Is it secure to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Amlypygid View Post
    Do you allow it to save passwords? Is it secure to do so?
    It uses encrypted password storage but does NOT sync them to any cloud - they are stored locally.

Unfortunately Tumbleweed is not an option for me. I've looked for ways to do it in the past, but my graphics workflow would be upset with OSS drivers. 1070+Nouveau is rather subpar from what I hear...

I do, however, appreciate hearing that it works in TW! That means it's likely to work in a future version of Leap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast