Repeated kwin crashes

Since the upgrade to Leap42.3/KDE I had several GUI (kwin) crashes. They normally happen when I have several browsers open and e.g. at the same time copy large files to USB stick. The first symptoms are that the cursor freezes for approx up to half a minute, later the whole GUI freezes and the taskbar/menu button, etc. disappear and when the mouse moves again I have no right click facility. First I thought it might be an earlier reported problem and I created the file

linux-tl1r:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d # more 20-intel.conf 
Section "Device"
           Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
           Driver      "intel"
           Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection
linux-tl1r:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d # 

But the crashes still kept coming so I filled in the KDE bug report with their backtrace feature see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383335
Now I received the answer: “Crash in Intel driver triggered from QtQuick. Not a crash in our code, nothing we can do. Please report to Intel.”
Has this crash happened to someone else - is there a solution? It didn’t happen at Leap42.2
Cheers
Uli

Now 68 views and on page 2 - is there nobody who has similar problems or who know possible reasons?

It’s likely to be hardware specific. Maybe you should post you graphics card details here for others to see…

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --gfxcard

Pure speculation here but have you tried changing the compositor settings? In particular the rendering backend. Does turning of the compositing with Shift+Alt+F12 help?

Thanks you, deano_ferrari, here is the result.

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --gfxcard
07: PCI 02.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)              
  [Created at pci.378]
  Unique ID: _Znp.p1gz93toWl1
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
  SysFS BusID: 0000:00:02.0
  Hardware Class: graphics card
  Model: "Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller"
  Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
  Device: pci 0x0046 "Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller"
  SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
  SubDevice: pci 0x1be2 
  Revision: 0x18
  Driver: "i915"
  Driver Modules: "i915"
  Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xd03fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xc0000000-0xcfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
  I/O Ports: 0xe080-0xe087 (rw)
  IRQ: 29 (38487 events)
  I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
  Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d00000046sv00001043sd00001BE2bc03sc00i00"
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: i915 is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe i915"
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Primary display adapter: #7

Does turning of the compositing with Shift+Alt+F12 help?

I don’t know this key sequence and what it should do, but most of the time no key function was available. A few times I could logout with ctrl+alt+Backspace but most of the time I had to use the power button. In the reply of the bug report to KDE (383335 – kwin crashes) I was told: “Crash in Intel driver triggered from QtQuick. Not a crash in our code…” but I don’t understand the details from the bug report. Since it didn’t happen in Leap42.2 I wondered if I could use the old (or another) intel driver?

It toggle’s the compositor (desktop effects) on and off in KDE. You can’t use it if the the DE has crashed though - it was more a suggestion to see whether crashes still occurred when it is turned off. It isn’t a solution, just a workaround that may be acceptable to you for now. Anyway, it can be turned off permanently via

System Settings > Hardware > Display and Monitor > Compositor > Enable compositor on startup, uncheck it

*It will take effect on next login.

There may well be a regression with the intel driver (and some hardware) impacting here, but no it is not possible to use an older driver - that’s tied to the kernel you’re using in any case. I have a laptop with intel hardware and running oenSUSE 42.3, but don’t appear to be impacted by the issue you’re describing.

Thank you, deano_ferrari, I had a look at system settings and the tick box for the enabling of the compositor at startup is unchecked now, however just above is the following message:

"OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past.

This was most likely due to a driver bug.

If you think that you have meanwhile upgraded to a stable driver,
you can reset this protection but be aware that this might result in an immediate crash!
Alternatively, you might want to use the XRender backend instead."

So I have now changed to XRender and will see how this is going.
Cheers
Uli

Yes, all good. See how that goes. Maybe you can live with these settings (=less eye-candy) for now.

PS You may find that is all that is needed, and that the compositor can be left enabled. Some experimentation needed on your part…