Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selection of Cinnamon desktop with new installation

Default Selection of Cinnamon desktop with new installation

I downloaded the Tumbleweed DVD iso from:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tum...d_installation

and assumed that I'd be able to select the Cinnamon desktop during installation, after reading the instructions under 'One-click install' at:

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Cinnamon

Not so, I guess. The install menu would have let me select Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc., but not Cinnamon.

I'm new at openSUSE, and am not sure how to proceed. Is there an option to install Tumbleweed without a desktop, and then add Cinnamon afterward with zypper? My preference would be to download an ISO that already includes Cinnamon, if one is available.

Thanks for reading.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Selection of Cinnamon desktop with new installation

As you've discovered, Cinnamon is not listed as a Desktop option.

But,
    You can try installing as an original Desktop(I haven't tried this on TW, I've only tried on 42.3 and it fails at least today).

When you're installing, select "Other" or "Custom" (Depending on the Installer) which should display some variant of YaST Software Manager. On 42.3, the default is the Patterns view, it may be something else in Tumbleweed but in either case there should be a "search" somewhere...
    Click on "Search" and search for "cinnamon"
    Install only the cinnamon package, supposedly all necessary dependencies should also be selected and installed automatically.
    Accept and save, continuing the installation.

If the installation fails, I'd recommend re-installing with the XFCE Desktop, then install the Cinnamon Desktop either using YaST Software Manager similar to what I described above or use the one-click install button on the SDB Cinnamon page.

Good Luck,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Took a look at this.
    Cinnamon is currently non-functional just like installing on 42.3.

FWIW -
    When installing Cinnamon as the original Desktop,

When you arrive at the screen for selecting your Desktop, click the "Configure Online Repositories" button and complete.
    When you arrive back at the Desktop selection screen,
    Select "Custom"
    On the next screen click on the "Details" link
    When the Software Manager page displays, click on the "Search" tab
    Enter "Cinnamon" into the search field and hit "Enter"
    Select only the "cinnamon" package
    Click "Accept"
    Click "Confirm"
    Continue your installation.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Thanks for your response, tsu2!

I decided to experiment by following your suggested steps while creating a new virtual machine in VirtualBox. All went well: I selected only the cinnamon package, and saw that this automatically included the muffin and nemo packages listed under 'Basic information about Cinnamon packages' at: https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Cinnamon .

Installation completed without errors. I rebooted, but Cinnamon didn't come up. Instead I got a terminal prompt, and couldn't find a way to start the Cinnamon desktop from the command line.

cinnamon --replace

Quote Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
    cinnamon --replace
    I'm afraid not!

#cinnamon --replace
    Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
    Window manager error: Unable to open X display

It's not fair to ask for additional support help when I'm eyeing the exits, so I'll add a second message as a follow-up:

I see from googling Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused that I could take other troubleshooting steps. I created an .xinitrc file, as one page suggested, but got nowhere with it, and think it wise to quit while I'm ahead.

I don't know Linux well enough to comfortably use a distro like Arch, and configuring an .xinitrc file puts me in Arch territory in terms of user effort. I like the idea of a stable, tested rolling release, and had believed that I could use openSUSE Tumbleweed with Cinnamon "out of the box." I now gather that this isn't the case, and think I should either resign myself to Tumbleweed with KDE, or to use of another distro.

Sincere thanks to tsu2 and xorbe for taking the time to try to help a stranger.

You need a display manager such as lightdm that lets you select the cinnamon desktop session upon boot.

So, install lightdm and change /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" to DISPLAYMANAGER="lightdm"

Then upon boot ( or if you issue systemctl restart display-manager.service ) you will be greeted with a nice login screen and a session button that allows you to select Cinnamon (it's the little wrench icon in the top right corner)
    .: miuku @ #opensuse @ irc.libera.chat

The end result should look like this;

If you want a prettier login manager, use sddm
    .: miuku @ #opensuse @ irc.libera.chat

Blog Entries

Yes,
    Specifying lightdm as the Display Manager works,
    A machine I set up a week ago which didn't work even with lightdm works now.

So,
    This looks like a good solution when adding Cinnamon to a system with a different Desktop, but is still problematic when Cinnamon is the original Desktop (I guess can try installing lightdm manually during install but otherwise no way to configure lightdm until first boot and login).

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast