Thread: Unnecessary accumulation of ""kglobalshortcutsrc" backup files (?)

Default Unnecessary accumulation of ""kglobalshortcutsrc" backup files (?)

On a PC running TW with Plasma 5, I've just noticed a lot of files named "kglobalshortcutsrc.AANNNN" (where A=alpha N=numeric) located in ~/.config

Should "something" be deleting these files, they seem to be backups of whenever "kglobalshortcutsrc" is altered, or are they kept for some mysterious reason... I could understand keeping the last one or two, but more than that?

I've just looked on another PC running 42.3 and there are none, only "kglobalshortcutsrc".
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191016) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unnecessary accumulation of ""kglobalshortcutsrc" backup files (?)

I just checked. I only have "kglobalshortcutsrc".

The others that you mention look like temporary file names. Perhaps when you change shortcuts, the initially go to a temp file that is later renamed.

It is probably safe to delete any that are older than your current login session.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Yes, I had already assumed it was probably safe to remove them, which I've just done to no ill effect.

Prior to removing them I used kompare to see what difference there was between "kglobalshortcutsrc" and the most recent of the "kglobalshortcutsrc.AANNNN" files. It seems the new "kglobalshortcutsrc" had been created as a result of recently removing "kmix" and installing "Audio Volume" (plasma5-pa). I've not changed any shortcuts myself, so guess these were all created as a result of adding/removing applications.

The question remains... I wonder why they, the *.AANNNN, are being left behind.
    Regards, Paul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    The question remains... I wonder why they, the *.AANNNN, are being left behind.
    Probably a bug. Something is not cleaning up after using a temp file.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Probably a bug. Something is not cleaning up after using a temp file.
    Or something (kglobalaccel or the kcm) is crashing before it successfully writes the config file.

Btw, I have seen such problems in KDE3 already...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Or something (kglobalaccel or the kcm) is crashing before it successfully writes the config file.
    If anything is crashing then... there's nothing in "/var/log/messages" or "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"

However, "~/.xsession-errors-:0" contained this line: "detected kglobalaccel restarting, re-registering all shortcut keys" would that be an indication that "kglobalaccel" crashed?

Since deleting all of those files yeaterday, two more have appeared:

http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/f46a36dd

kglobalshortcutsrc.Ti1299 and kglobalshortcutsrc.kn1727 are identical

kglobalshortcutsrc has this line added (compared to kglobalshortcutsrc.kn1727)

"activate widget 23=Alt+F1,none,Activate Application Menu Widget"

I've no idea if that was triggered by an action I made or not...

If these are temporary files, would it not be better they were written to /tmp rather than ~/.config

Worthy of a bug report do you think? If so, against what?

Btw, I have seen such problems in KDE3 already...
    Wait long enough and you might see it in KDE6...
    Regards, Paul