Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: trying to setup wireless on laptop

Default trying to setup wireless on laptop

I know nothing about doing it manually.
    Tumbleweed KDE5 42.3
    Everything I have read I haven't been able to find or get to show up as it was described. I am sure it has to do with my lack of knowledge.
    Where is the best place to find how to set up wireless?
    If I run hwinfo --wlan --short as root in the konsole, nothing happens that I can see.

Blog Entries

Default Re: trying to setup wireless on laptop

Quote Originally Posted by hwms View Post
    If I run hwinfo --wlan --short as root in the konsole, nothing happens that I can see.
    Trying that, I see:
    Code:
    # hwinfo --wlan --short
    network:                                                        
      wlan0                Dell Wireless 1506 WLAN Half Mini-Card
    Note that I am not actually using that, and I haven't even configured it since installing 42.3.

That you get no output seems to indicate that there is no suitable driver for your wireless card.

Maybe you should indicate what kind of wireless card you have. Perhaps somebody will know how to get it working.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

I was able to run hwinfo --short and saw in the output that my wireless card is 'Dell wireless 1397 wlan mini card'. Hope this helps. I have been using PCLOS Kde4 and had wireless working fine. Then I had to move from kde4 to kde5 and PCLOS kde5 was unstable on my laptop, so I went searching and openSuse seems to be stable for me. It looks and works great so far except for setting up the wireless.

Blog Entries

I did a google search on that string. It looks as if it is a broadcom card.

Try installing the "broadcom-wl" package. You will need to use an ethernet connection for that, since wireless is not working. If you have not already added the packman repo, do that first.

Actually, you will need "broadcom-wl" and "broadcom-wl-kmp-default".

I purchased my Dell laptop in 2010, and ran into the same problem. But, by now, my broadcom card is supported with the opensource kernel. But newer broadcom cards might need the closed source broadcom-wl driver.

I was able to run hwinfo --short and saw in the output that ...........
    Please, please. Do not tell stories were you can post what you see, so we can see it and come to our own conclusions.

Please in the future use CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.

Regards,
    Last edited by hcvv; 09-Aug-2017 at 01:48.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I did a google search on that string. It looks as if it is a broadcom card.

Try installing the "broadcom-wl" package. You will need to use an ethernet connection for that, since wireless is not working. If you have not already added the packman repo, do that first.

Actually, you will need "broadcom-wl" and "broadcom-wl-kmp-default".

I purchased my Dell laptop in 2010, and ran into the same problem. But, by now, my broadcom card is supported with the opensource kernel. But newer broadcom cards might need the closed source broadcom-wl driver.
    Thanks for your help with so little information. I'm sorry, but I am not sure how to add the packman repo. Do I do it using Yast2 or from the command line?

Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but I am not sure how to add the packman repo. Do I do it using Yast2 or from the command line?
    Easiest is with

Yast --> Software Repositories

Click "Add"
    Check the box for "Community Repositories"
    Select "Packman Repository" from the list.
    Click OK
    and you are done. (It will ask you to accept the GPG signing key for that repository).

I should add -- that's easiest in the sense that you don't have to think about it. Adding from the command line is a one line command, but you have to know the details.

Great nrickert. I can do that. I am mostly a gui user.

If that solves the wifi problem I will post back and marked solved.

Edit..

When I click "Community Repositories", the next window shows List of Repositories and it has two in the list. "Main Repository (Sources) and Main Repository (Debug)

At the top of the window there is "list of Online Repositories". Is that where I should enter "Packman Repository"?

If I select the Main Repository (Sources), then it is added to the repository list that I already have.

Default AW: trying to setup wireless on laptop

Post your Repo List:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Also post:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net

zypper lr -d
    Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

# | Alias | Name | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    --+---------------------+-----------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | openSUSE-20170802-0 | openSUSE-20170802-0 | No | ---- | ---- | 99 | yast2 | hd:///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Kingston_DT_101_G2_0013729B67AEBA802633017A-0:0-part2 |
    2 | repo-debug | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Debug | No | ---- | ---- | 99 | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/tumbleweed/repo/oss/ |
    3 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss/ |
    4 | repo-oss | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/ |
    5 | repo-source | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Source | No | ---- | ---- | 99 | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/source/...weed/repo/oss/ |
    6 | repo-update | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Update | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/
    My laptop doesn't have the code thingy at the moment since I am editing this post. The original post was from my desktop and I realized I needed to do it from my laptop.

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller [11ab:4354] (rev 13)
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:02aa]
    Kernel driver in use: sky2
    Kernel modules: sky2
    0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
    Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
    Kernel modules: ssb

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast