Thread: Skype in Empathy/Pidgin: Too many packages?!

Question Skype in Empathy/Pidgin: Too many packages?!

Hi all!

I gave Skype's shiny new Electron-Thing a chance. It works, but it does not integrate at all into Gnome. And apparently, Microsoft has not shut the "old" Skype service so far, as my CentOS machine keeps working with it. I decided to switch to Empathy (which I use for XMPP, ICQ, ... anyway).
    What confuses me is the plethora of different packages (all from the official openSUSE repo) for "add Skype to libpurple" in soo. Which one should I use? Is there any difference between libpurple-plugin-skype and skype4pidgin which seem to be what I search for? What actually does libpurple-plugin-skypeweb? Does it integrate the Electron-Thing with libpurple? Or is it for "real" browser-based systems?

I am a bit confused here ... if someone knows how to get Skype integrated in Empathy, I'd be glad to learn. (I'm currently on Tumbleweed, but I don't think that's relevant.)

Best regards!

pbiel
    Last edited by pbiel; 04-Aug-2017 at 02:04. Reason: Typo

Default Re: Skype in Empathy/Pidgin: Too many packages?!

Most I think are just interfaces to skype from other programs ie pidgin or other

And what is skype -electron thing? as far as I know there is a Linux beta which works fine here.. You have a URL??

Blog Entries

Purple is the codename for Pidgin's core. The skype plugin you reference is just using a "purple" shim to connect to Pidgin. My guess is that the plugin is separate because the Skype code is probably much older and uses the shim to connect to a Pidgin rebase.
    https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/WhatIsLibpurple

So, no need to install "purple" anything, it'll be pulled in as a dependency. with the following command

Code:
    zypper in pidgin plugin-skype-skype
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

I'd prefer to use Empathy over Pidgin. So you suggest to install libpurple-skype as a package? That wasn't actually on my list, I think. And, iirc, it does not install Skype (the actual binary) on its, own, does it? So if there were an option to use the more up-to-date Electron based "Skype for Linux" with a libpurple integration that itself is recognised by Empathy, that would be my first choice, I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pbiel View Post
    I'd prefer to use Empathy over Pidgin. So you suggest to install libpurple-skype as a package? That wasn't actually on my list, I think. And, iirc, it does not install Skype (the actual binary) on its, own, does it? So if there were an option to use the more up-to-date Electron based "Skype for Linux" with a libpurple integration that itself is recognised by Empathy, that would be my first choice, I think.
    Don't use the app so if there are plugin options I can't opine.
    Can only describe what exists in the OSS, and I gave the command (although it has a typo) what to install, here is the corrected command you should use if you want to run the Skype plugin for pidgin.
    Code:
    zypper in pidgin plugin-skype
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!