Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bye bye Leap

Default Re: Bye bye Leap

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGirl View Post
    I would not be the only woman in the world who uses Linux. It's offensive & upsetting to keep reading such male-centric alienation in online technical fora & blogs etc. Every time i encounter it i call it out. Online spaces [indeed, the world] should be gender-neutral / diversity-respectful, not exclusionary of 52% of the populace. IMO.
    Agreed. It's sad to see that this has to be pointed out over and over (I'm a man for the record and find such male centric descriptions harmful).
    Best regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    I also can not believe that I've never heard of Joanna Rutkowska. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_Rutkowska>

I absolutely support her views of the way the people managing industry, world-wide, handle 50% of the planet earth's population, despite various programs, events and initiatives . . .
    Yes she's great and I'm proud to be of the same nationality as her (though she's not really popular in Poland for some reason)
    Best regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by spoovy View Post
    I think I stated pretty clearly what the issues were. But the whole point which you seem to be missing is that I don't currently want to spend time and effort fixing these things. In the past I have expended huge amounts of time installing or building and then debugging countless Linux OSes and yes the learning process was very beneficial. That doesn't mean however that I want to expend that kind of effort every time I install an OS. It's perfectly reasonable to install something described as the 'best stable Linux experience available' in the expectation of avoiding it.

It seems like a few people here are far too quick to blame the user for failures in the OS and that is not healthy for a distro community in my opinion.
    I agree with this. Some users just don't have time or interest in fixing problems or asking for help on the forums. They should not be blamed for this. Hearing that you don't have any of these problems with other distributions your hardware configuration and openSUSE must be some really unlucky match. For the record openSUSE has been always rock solid for me since version 13.2 if I remember correctly when I jumped boat from Slackware.
    Best regards,
    Greg

Talking Re: Bye bye Leap

@everyone:

I'm beginning to wonder if, many of the issues folks are experiencing various Linux distributions, at the end of the day, is due to either flaky hardware or, poor (unstable, voltage spikes/drops, other frequencies being injected into the AC, DC with massive ripple) power supply or, a combination of both …

It may just be that, openSUSE, for whatever reason, is a little bit more sensitive to hardware issues than other distributions.
    But, I can't imagine why this could be so …

@everyone:

I'm beginning to wonder if, many of the issues folks are experiencing various Linux distributions, at the end of the day, is due to either flaky hardware or, poor (unstable, voltage spikes/drops, other frequencies being injected into the AC, DC with massive ripple) power supply or, a combination of both …

It may just be that, openSUSE, for whatever reason, is a little bit more sensitive to hardware issues than other distributions.
    Using openSUSE since September 1996 I ran into serious trouble only in 2016 when Leap would not support the i915 properly. I fixed that by switching to Tumbleweed. Doing so was a good thing anyway, because you can upgrade at your own pace, be it several times a week or a few times per year. openSUSE now emphasizes on rounding and smoothing rough edges of the past.

New users may be confused by complexity occurring due to features related to Suse Linux Enterprise Server. Reading the documentation before starting an install helps a lot. However documentation is comprehensive and does not always apply to the current version. A good starting point is https://opensuse-guide.org/
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Using openSUSE since September 1996 ...
    Just a small technicality, but openSUSE did not exist in 1996. You were probably using SUSE back then.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Just a small technicality, but openSUSE did not exist in 1996. You were probably using SUSE back then.
    Hi
    Just a small technicality, but SUSE did not exist in 1996, it was probably SuSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLdexZlVkAY
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

@everyone:

I think it's more connected with what Joe Armstrong was discussing here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKXe3HUG2l4
    and also the famous developer quote strange it works fine on my computer hardware is just supper complex and nobody really knows how it functions exactly under the hood (look at meltdown, spectre and how late it was discovered). Add software on top of this, which is even more complex and has got abstractions functioning upon layers of other abstractions and you get the quirky electronics that somehow most of the time work as expected. But then at these rare other times it doesn't work as expected and nobody really knows why or it's too expensive to try and find out why.
    Best regards,
    Greg

Cool Re: Bye bye Leap

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    and also the famous developer quote strange it works fine on my computer hardware is just supper complex and nobody really knows how it functions exactly under the hood (look at meltdown, spectre and how late it was discovered). Add software on top of this, which is even more complex and has got abstractions functioning upon layers of other abstractions and you get the quirky electronics that somehow most of the time work as expected. But then at these rare other times it doesn't work as expected and nobody really knows why or it's too expensive to try and find out why.
    Or, the set of Engineering maxims compiled by a DEC engineer, published 1978 in the Digital Press book “Computer Engineering – A DEC view of hardware systems design” – 6 of the 14:
    3. Prototype designs always work.
    4. Asserted timing conditions are designed first; unasserted timing conditions are found later.
    7. Every little pico farad has a nano henry all its own.
    10. Synchronizing circuits may take for ever to make a decision.
    11. Worse-case tolerances never add – but when they do, they are found in the best customer's machine.
    14. Murphy's Laws apply 95 of the time. The other 5 percent of the time is a coffee break.

Something similar:
    “A digital circuit is like a tame animal, the analogue circuit is a wild animal. Every so often the tame animal reverts to the wild.”

There is something wrong with the intel graphics software when used on older notebooks. I have the Mobile 4 graphics. It locks up all the time on Google Earth. I had this problem on rev 42 and also have it on 15.1. I uninstalled the intel graphics and the locks up were gone. Plasma still has high CPU usage which could be due to lack of intel graphics. Note this is not an Opensuse problem. I suspect the original poster has a linux installation without the intel graphics installed. Mine old notebook works find on 15.1 if you don't mind dog slow graphics.

I plan on using this old PC as a beater. It is good for command line stuff and anything that doesn't need significant graphics. I use XFCE for the windows.

I ordered a new notebook and am just poking around the forum looks for ideas. I'm still going to use opensuse. (I use centos on servers.)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345