Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye Leap

Default Bye bye Leap

Every few years I'm tempted to try openSUSE. Unfortunately every time I end up disappointed and abandoning it before long. Well here we are again and I'm sad to say this must have been the worst experience to date.

This time I thought I'd give Leap a go, as I need something stable but with slightly newer packages than CentOS. Leap sounded perfect. I installed 42.2 as a dual-boot alongside my usual Linux OS on a very vanilla Thinkpad (integrated intel graphics etc).

There were minor issues around configuration immediately but these I can deal with; I don't expect super polish from a 'stable' type distro. More problematic were the boot time oddities. About half of the time on booting I would be presented with a blank screen instead of a login screen. I had to Ctrl+Alt+F? to get a new terminal and restart the display manager service via systemctl just to bring up the login screen. Sometimes I still couldn't log in even then, with the login screen just refreshing back to the login screen instead of actually giving me a desktop, which required another display manager restart. Very annoying.

I had regular slowdowns; for no apparent reason suddenly everything slowed to a crawl for a couple of minutes. No obvious cause to be seen in *top. Power usage was constantly about 30% higher than in the other OS immediately post-boot while running the same DE (Gnome) and no apps. Powertop showed nothing obvious. Most serious though I had regular complete desktop freezes where not even the magic SysRq key combination would reboot; a hard poweroff was required each time. And yes SysRq was enabled in the kernel, and it would work when not in a frozen state. I experienced these freezes using Gnome so I switched to LXQT, an ugly AF desktop but at least the freezes stopped and I had a broadly workable OS, slowdowns and login oddities notwithstanding.

As 42.3 was just around the corner I thought I'd give it a try to see if it cleared up the issues. I definitely shouldn't have bothered. I downloaded the DVD and used it to upgrade, as recommended. I immediately got a grub error at the end of the upgrade, which left my laptop unbootable. I needed to use the DVD to boot into the OS, so I could run Yast's grub config tool, which seemed to silently fail (gave no error, but left me in the same unbootable state). I had to use super grub disk in the end to boot into my other OS and reinstall grub from there to save the day.

So finally I got the thing booted at least, only now the fonts had gone screwy, with black squares instead of letters in certain applications. Completely unreadable. OK I thought, I'll try Gnome again, maybe they sorted the freezing issue with the new version. Nope, still regular total freezes; still SysRq doesn't work; still hard reboots required with accompanying prayers that my data isn't corrupted. Slowdowns got much worse, with Chrome and Chromium locking up daily; freezing the whole desktop for 10-15 minutes at a time until the dialogue box to kill the application appeared. During this time I couldn't even Ctrl+Alt+F? to get a new terminal and kill it either. Suddenly the last straw: Atom, my text editor of choice, wouldn't launch at all. Just immediately freezed every launch time, in whatever DE I used -- Gnome, LXQT, IceWM.

So I ran out of goodwill and decided to wipe it. I was about to log in one final time to retrieve some data before erasing the thing but there was one last, almost comical, snafu: I can no longer log in at all. A filesystem (no idea which) fails to mount at boot time and I get dropped into an emergency shell, every boot.

This isn't new or unusual, quirky hardware by the way, it's a 6 year-old thinkpad, which I've run dozens of distros on over the years (and I'm currently running another of the big rpm distros on) without any of these issues.

What a truly painful experience this has been, I'm sad to say. How Leap can be marketed as a stable OS is beyond me; it must be one of the least stable, least usable distro releases I can remember in my ~8 years of desktop Linux.

Default Re: Bye bye Leap

How Leap can be marketed as a stable OS is beyond me; it must be one of the least stable, least usable distro releases I can remember in my ~8 years of desktop Linux.

I could say I have exactly the reverse experience as I tend to do with almost all SUSE releases - everything works even in Tumbleweed, and no, I don't have "old" hardware - a dual Xeon sporting an nVidia 1070 (which does bug out on 42.x series because Nouveau is a pile of poop but it does it on every distribution anyway).

Lot of happy users - shame you aren't one. Next time perhaps you should try out KDE and not GNOME.
    sed -i 's/brain/void/g' / ; echo |"/dev/null" > .forward

On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 11:16:02 +0000, Miuku wrote:

>> How Leap can be marketed as a stable OS is beyond me; it must be one of
    >> the least stable, least usable distro releases I can remember in my ~8
    >> years of desktop Linux.

> I could say I have exactly the reverse experience as I tend to do with
    > almost all SUSE releases - everything works even in Tumbleweed, and no,
    > I don't have "old" hardware - a dual Xeon sporting an nVidia 1070 (which
    > does bug out on 42.x series because Nouveau is a pile of poop but it
    > does it on every distribution anyway).
    >
    > Lot of happy users - shame you aren't one. Next time perhaps you should
    > try out KDE and not GNOME.

Indeed, or asking for help with problems rather than just posting about
    how disappointed they are.

PC hardware is quirky and can be unpredictable, and it's impossible to
    test every possible combination.

I'm often amazed at how many people come around here and "flounce" after
    saying they had a bad experience with the distro, without giving the
    community an opportunity to help them with their problems. This
    particular user shows 51 posts, but I only see two posts re: LEAP 42.2
    (and one of them says the issue they were having was sorted), and one
    question about LEAP 42.3 about font issues, which ended with an "I can't

It's hard to get wound up over someone who leaves a distribution after
    not asking for much in the way of help when they run into problems. I
    hope they find what they're looking for in their next distribution.

Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spoovy View Post
    Every few years I'm tempted to try openSUSE. Unfortunately every time I end up disappointed and abandoning it before long.
    By contrast, I have been very happy with opensuse and I'm liking the stability of Leap.

The nice thing about linux is that there are many different distros. So find the one that works best for you, and go with that. And my best wishes to you.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Blog Entries

Yes, enjoy the choice

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    I could say I have exactly the reverse experience as I tend to do with almost all SUSE releases - everything works even in Tumbleweed, and no, I don't have "old" hardware - a dual Xeon sporting an nVidia 1070 (which does bug out on 42.x series because Nouveau is a pile of poop but it does it on every distribution anyway).

Lot of happy users - shame you aren't one. Next time perhaps you should try out KDE and not GNOME.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    I suppose that the OP has long gone by now, hence this is a waste of posting time, but for the record... My Tower & Lappy, being only with oS since May this year, are continuing to delight me with TW KDE Plasma5... as i [think i] have written elsewhere, TW KDE is giving me my best ever P5 experience [having tried several other P5 DE distros prior to trying oS].

My only regret, affecting Tower but not Lappy, is that after migrating Lappy, but before migrating Tower, i discovered Ruby Installer's "Custom" option re DE [on Lappy i'd not noticed it & simply chose KDE], & so during Tower's TW installation i foolishly acted like the proverbial kid in a lolly [aka, candy] store, by going "Custom" then selecting not only KDE but also GNOME & Xfce... purely for the geek-factor of having alternative DEs but without any sensible actual need for them. Whilst in the weeks since then Tower's TW KDE continues to impress, there are several areas where aspects of my preferred Oxygen theming don't work & the ugly GNOME'ish squared greyish window UI & boring icons manifest. None of that happens on Lappy, which uses identical Plasma settings as Tower... other than the fact that Lappy is "pure" KDE DE. Retrospectively i do regret my initial decision during Tower's installation... but this is my error not TW's, as far as i can see.

So, whilst i found OP's litany of hassles upsetting to read, i do wonder if their experience might have been altogether happier had they instead chosen Leap KDE, or indeed maybe TW KDE... All too late now.
    OS: openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE x64 Plasma 5.10.4. Browser: Vivaldi-Snapshot x64.

oh my my, sad to say bye bye to the OP too
    Intel G2020 (Ivy), Asus P8H77-M LE, TW, Gnome 3.22 on 120GB SSD
    Intel i5 4590 (Haswell), MSI B85M-G43, MSI GTX750Ti, Leap 42.3, Gnome 3.20 on 120GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 11:16:02 +0000, Miuku wrote:

>> How Leap can be marketed as a stable OS is beyond me; it must be one of
    >> the least stable, least usable distro releases I can remember in my ~8
    >> years of desktop Linux.

> I could say I have exactly the reverse experience as I tend to do with
    > almost all SUSE releases - everything works even in Tumbleweed, and no,
    > I don't have "old" hardware - a dual Xeon sporting an nVidia 1070 (which
    > does bug out on 42.x series because Nouveau is a pile of poop but it
    > does it on every distribution anyway).
    >
    > Lot of happy users - shame you aren't one. Next time perhaps you should
    > try out KDE and not GNOME.

Indeed, or asking for help with problems rather than just posting about
    how disappointed they are.

PC hardware is quirky and can be unpredictable, and it's impossible to
    test every possible combination.

I'm often amazed at how many people come around here and "flounce" after
    saying they had a bad experience with the distro, without giving the
    community an opportunity to help them with their problems. This
    particular user shows 51 posts, but I only see two posts re: LEAP 42.2
    (and one of them says the issue they were having was sorted), and one
    question about LEAP 42.3 about font issues, which ended with an "I can't

It's hard to get wound up over someone who leaves a distribution after
    not asking for much in the way of help when they run into problems. I
    hope they find what they're looking for in their next distribution.

Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    I don't see how I am 'flouncing' by simply recounting my experience. Yes I could have asked for more help on forums and I used to do this a lot years ago while learning about Linux, but these days I generally can't be bothered. The main reason I gravitated away from 'bleeding edge' distros to the more stable ones was because I didn't want to be dependant on the availability, knowledge and guesswork of strangers just to reliably get basic things done. That seemed a reasonable expectation from Leap -- an OS that is marketed as highly stable by virtue of it's closeness to it's enterprise OS relative. If I'd had these issues with Tumbleweed then I would not have created this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by spoovy View Post
    That seemed a reasonable expectation from Leap -- an OS that is marketed as highly stable by virtue of it's closeness to it's enterprise OS relative.
    The thing is, many of us are having that stable system you expected to have and with almost no issues at all.

So far I haven't had to do anything on 42.3, with the exception of having to install the proprietary nVidia drivers and 3rd party codecs (which could still use streamlining). Other than that, it just "works".
    sed -i 's/brain/void/g' / ; echo |"/dev/null" > .forward

Leap is not your wife.
    So you can divorce without paying any lawyer.
    There are more than 100 disto in http://distrowatch.com/ so needless to say .... my bride does not keep the promises
    fidelity comes to those who live by it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast