Thread: scaling of non native application on plasma

Default scaling of non native application on plasma

Hi, so i have 3600*1800 screen on plasma (laptop). I have modified screen scaling (*2) + fonts and everything is fine with native apps. Most gtk apps etc have tiny UI controls which i can mostly live with. However i now have a new mathematics package (geogebra) for which better scaling is a necessity.

Am i missing something on scaling of non native apps?, any settings or perhaps option to launch apps from terminal with different parameters etc? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: scaling of non native application on plasma

There probably is some obscure gnome tweaking tool to do scaling. Personally, I do not use scaling but fix dpi instead. Plasma honors that but gnome does not. Or, at least, it did not when I installed this laptop. For gnome, try to set this in ~/.Xresources

Code:
    Xft.dpi: 144
    use your actual dpi or one that suits your eyes. My laptop has actual 168 dpi but I set dpi to 144 in both xorg monitor conf and local .Xresources. No scaling otherwise. Problem with scaling was that gnome only scales in integers, IIRC. My 144 is 150% of 96, so I would need a scale of 1.5. But gnome jumped to 2 and everything was way too large.

Default Re: scaling of non native application on plasma

This is due to upstream GTK3 dropping support for DPI autodetection: http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1022830

The openSUSE GTK maintainers do not want to maintain patches that are not accepted upstream, so I'm afraid this won't work without manual overriding.