Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

Default Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

According to Red Hat, BTRFS is almost deprecated. Who will be the next ruler?

⁠Btrfs has been deprecated

The Btrfs file system has been in Technology Preview state since the initial release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Red Hat will not be moving Btrfs to a fully supported feature and it will be removed in a future major release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
    The Btrfs file system did receive numerous updates from the upstream in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 and will remain available in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 series. However, this is the last planned update to this feature.

Default Re: Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

Not a request for technical help.Will be moved to General Chitchat and is CLOSED for the moment.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by psijic View Post
    According to Red Hat, BTRFS is almost deprecated. Who will be the next ruler?
    Moved from Install/Boot/Login and open again.
    Henk van Velden

BTRFS was actually never used in RHEL but only included as a technology preview so in that sense it's not a big deal.
    sed -i 's/brain/void/g' / ; echo |"/dev/null" > .forward

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    BTRFS was actually never used in RHEL but only included as a technology preview so in that sense it's not a big deal.
    Yes but it's a default system in the OpenSUSE.

Need to reinstall it. Again.

Need to reinstall it. Again.
    RedHat is an XFS shop. They literally don't have BTRFS experts. I use ext4 when I install Tumbleweed.

They weren't in any way involved in the development of BTRFS so it's not surprising they didn't choose to use it.

They use other methods to achieve the same features.
    sed -i 's/brain/void/g' / ; echo |"/dev/null" > .forward

ext4 is still the king, I am using it for TW and Leap.
    Intel G2020 (Ivy), Asus P8H77-M LE, TW, Gnome 3.22 on 120GB SSD
    Intel i5 4590 (Haswell), MSI B85M-G43, MSI GTX750Ti, Leap 42.3, Gnome 3.20 on 120GB SSD

I also still prefer ext4 for everything.

Probably the biggest argument for BTRFS besides snapshotting (which isn't always desirable) is its auto-repair features.

Because I don't keep up on the most recent file system comparisons, I rely on what is written and recently I remember some articles say that <considering the potential overhead required> BTRFS does an admirable job delivering fairly good performance while providing superior automatic repair (running integrity checks automatically) . There is <some> detectable latency due to the required overhead but if you want this extra reliability, the result is admirable.

Also, besides snapshotting, I recently became aware of the "restore" command which allows you to "undelete" or restore individual files or directory (maybe even directory trees) .

XFS on the other hand seems to be less focused on reliability and instead on performance. Snapshots and related can be implemented with 3rd party tools. Instead, a wide variety of features and options exist that can maximize performance which would be important to the Line of Business Production machine.

See some of the very cool XFS features described in the Wikipedia article
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFS

Besides, even ext4 has become very reliable without BTRFS auto-repair features.
    And, XFS and BTRFS do have their own manual repair tools should a problem occur.

So,
    I don't see that BTRFS is going away because of what it can do and does, but for a Line of Business Production Server I definitely would lean toward XFS for its feature set, especially if I was deploying on a RAID that provides a substantial amount of fault tolerance.

IMO,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast