Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 66 of 66

Thread: Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,382
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

    Quote Originally Posted by averyfreeman View Post
    It stands to reason that snapshots of /home should just be done manually, while the configuration for yast+snapper should exclude /home since those snapshots are focused on system disaster recovery.

    You could always make a separate configuration for /home with different triggers.

    as far as the database or java software installing transactional data elsewhere than /var, chances are at least some package maintainers have thought of this and moved their directories - of course, some may not.

    This is the beauty of the BTRFS subvolume being default, though - it's much more likely to be adopted properly across the OpenSUSE ecosystem than if it were offered as add-on technology.
    See the links I provided in my post just above for how BTRFS is implemented for /home...
    Snapshots are completely disabled for the /home subvolume, and reasons are given.
    You'll also see that common locations for databases, virtual machine disk files and more are excluded by default from snapshots.

    I haven't tried implementing, but I expect that if you want to implement shapshots for /home, it might make more sense to implement as a completely separate volume rather than as a sub-volume of / so that when you roll back, you won't affect both / and /home (It's also possible to restore individual files and folders in BTRFS, but it's less convenient). Before doing something like this, you'd probably want to do a deep think about what folders to exclude... eg Virtualbox commonly stores its virtual machine disk files in a subdirectory of /home.

    Probably bottom line for current new 15.1 /home layout with BTRFS is that... There is little change. Since no snapshots are supported for /home, the main benefit probably is BTRFS auto self-healing.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,756
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    I think that BTRFS is the best, but a bit fussy. ( and I use ext4 because I'm lazy )
    I'm still preferring "ext4".

    I did try "btrfs" in a virtual machine during the beta-testing for 15.1. That was with a 50G root file system.

    It mostly worked pretty well. After an update to the next build, the usage of the root partition would increase by a few percentage points. But it never got over 49%, and at the time of the 15.1 release, it was down to 33%. So the automatic cleaning of older snapshots seems to work pretty well.

    The one problem was that occasionally the system would appear to freeze for a few minutes, during "btrfs" maintenance. This did not happen often, but it can still be disconcerting.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,382
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm still preferring "ext4".

    I did try "btrfs" in a virtual machine during the beta-testing for 15.1. That was with a 50G root file system.

    It mostly worked pretty well. After an update to the next build, the usage of the root partition would increase by a few percentage points. But it never got over 49%, and at the time of the 15.1 release, it was down to 33%. So the automatic cleaning of older snapshots seems to work pretty well.

    The one problem was that occasionally the system would appear to freeze for a few minutes, during "btrfs" maintenance. This did not happen often, but it can still be disconcerting.
    If anyone experiences any noticeable lags due to BTRFS, it should be reported, means that the process priority needs to be adjusted.
    Just be sure it's due to BTRFS and not file indexing (running top and iotop should help to pinpoint cause)

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,756
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Just be sure it's due to BTRFS and not file indexing (running top and iotop should help to pinpoint cause)
    I don't think it was possible to run "top".

    I had a terminal ("xterm") open, and it responded to the keyboard. But commands did not start. I had the impression that the file system was locked up tight.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  5. #65

    Default Re: Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    See the links I provided in my post just above for how BTRFS is implemented for /home...
    Snapshots are completely disabled for the /home subvolume, and reasons are given.
    You'll also see that common locations for databases, virtual machine disk files and more are excluded by default from snapshots.

    I haven't tried implementing, but I expect that if you want to implement shapshots for /home, it might make more sense to implement as a completely separate volume rather than as a sub-volume of / so that when you roll back, you won't affect both / and /home (It's also possible to restore individual files and folders in BTRFS, but it's less convenient). Before doing something like this, you'd probably want to do a deep think about what folders to exclude... eg Virtualbox commonly stores its virtual machine disk files in a subdirectory of /home.

    Probably bottom line for current new 15.1 /home layout with BTRFS is that... There is little change. Since no snapshots are supported for /home, the main benefit probably is BTRFS auto self-healing.

    TSU
    For me the only important thing is instead the / home if for some reason after an update does not start I am also willing to reinstall, and for this the only backup that interests me btrfs does not do it
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

  6. #66

    Default Re: Is BTRFS dead? Who is the new king?

    BTRFS best thing in linux life
    Home bacup, cannot be important. (use google drive, dropbox, or copy other HDD/SSD ..)

    Ext4 Developer Review: ext4 could no longer be developed.
    It is worth developing and using the btrfs file system

    I use single SSD, home pc:
    compress=zstd,space_cache=v1
    Very fast ..... but
    Correct setting?

    Google Translate!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •