Thread: ClamAV configuration

Default ClamAV configuration

Hey!
    After using OpenSUSE for many years, it's time to immerse myself and fine-tune the operating system in my Linux computers.
    I have a mix of OpenSUSE and Windows computers in my network, all behind a firewall (Sophus UTM) that uses VPN (through an ASUS router) to access the Internet.

My question is:
    How do I configure ClamAV in OpenSUSE 42.3 to make a virus scan at a specific time and virus definitions always updated? Automatically if there is a possibility.

How do I do, all configuration tips and referrals are needed and appreciated?

/ Roland

Default Re: ClamAV configuration

While some advice may come forward, take into account that very few people will run ClamAV (or any other anti-virus tools), because they are useless on Linux. There is only a case when your system sends files to Windows system (e.g. when you run a mail server) and you want to protect those Windows systems from Windows targeted viruses.
    Henk van Velden

have you even downloaded clamav and tried to update it (freshclam) or use it (see man clamav)?, read a quick tutorial? or even thought of how time-specific automation might be achieved (cron/sytemd timers)? before your request for technical 'support'?

Quote Originally Posted by Stardoom View Post
    Hey!
    After using OpenSUSE for many years, it's time to immerse myself and fine-tune the operating system in my Linux computers.
    I have a mix of OpenSUSE and Windows computers in my network, all behind a firewall (Sophus UTM) that uses VPN (through an ASUS router) to access the Internet.

My question is:
    How do I configure ClamAV in OpenSUSE 42.3 to make a virus scan at a specific time and virus definitions always updated? Automatically if there is a possibility.

How do I do, all configuration tips and referrals are needed and appreciated?

/ Roland
    I add the "Security" repo & install Clamav, Clamtk, spamassassin, bogofilter & databases where available
    I use Clamtk to update the D/B and scan if I think it's needed -- like a folder on win10
    Both Kmail & Thunderbird have easy integration for AV & spam which is mainly why I install these.
    And yes, I do get an email hit now and then,

You may want to check out "rootkits" and something like "rkhunter" down the road.

Have fun!
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac