Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome Update Key Validation Error

Post Google Chrome Update Key Validation Error

Hi,

I have been using OpenSUSE Leap for two years now, starting with 42.1 and upgrading to 42.2 early in 2017. I installed, and have been using and regularly updating, Google's Chrome browser from my early Leap days. Recently I started to receive an error when trying to refresh the repository:

Code:
    randy@linux-ui76:~> sudo zypper ref 
    Repository 'Packman Repository' is up to date.                                                                                           
    Retrieving repository 'google-chrome' metadata --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[\] 
    File 'repomd.xml' from repository 'google-chrome' is signed with an unknown key '1397BC53640DB551'. Continue? [yes/no] (no): 
    Retrieving repository 'google-chrome' metadata ..................................................................................[error] 
    Repository 'google-chrome' is invalid.
    [google-chrome|http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
    Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository. 
    Skipping repository 'google-chrome' because of the above error.
    Repository 'Opera packages' is up to date.                                                                                               
    Repository 'openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Non-Oss' is up to date.                                                                                   
    Repository 'openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Oss' is up to date.                                                                                       
    Repository 'openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Update' is up to date.                                                                                    
    Repository 'openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Update-Non-Oss' is up to date.                                                                            
    Some of the repositories have not been refreshed because of an error.

I tried manually downloading and importing the GPG key per Google's instructions using:

wget https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
    sudo rpm --import linux_signing_key.pub

but I still get the error, which concerns me because Google doesn't seem to have the valid key on their web site.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it safe to answer "yes" to the warning to update the key that way?

Thank you for your help,
    Randy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Google Chrome Update Key Validation Error

This is a very old and occasional event. I ignore it as stated as in a writeup here: https://forums.opensuse.org/content....-Google-Chrome

But if you want a thorough discussion, read this one: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...wn-key-problem
    Last edited by swerdna; 01-Aug-2017 at 14:49.
    Tumbleweed & Leap 42.1 [&KDE]
    FYIs from the days of yore

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    This is a very old and occasional event. I ignore it as stated as in a writeup here: https://forums.opensuse.org/content....-Google-Chrome

But if you want a thorough discussion, read this one: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...wn-key-problem
    Hi swerdna,

Thanks for your quick response. As you can see from my original post, I am not given the option to "ignore," just to answer "yes" or "no" to refresh the Google Chrome repository. I believe that answering "no," as I have been doing, does not give me Chrome updates, which I would like to have (I like the most recent versions of applications for security purposes.)

I was interested to see in the link you gave me that the other user was getting the same key code in his warning that I was getting. That makes me more comfortable answering "yes" to refresh the repository and get the updates.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by OrCBGB View Post
    Hi swerdna,

Thanks for your quick response. As you can see from my original post, I am not given the option to "ignore," just to answer "yes" or "no" to refresh the Google Chrome repository. I believe that answering "no," as I have been doing, does not give me Chrome updates, which I would like to have (I like the most recent versions of applications for security purposes.)

I was interested to see in the link you gave me that the other user was getting the same key code in his warning that I was getting. That makes me more comfortable answering "yes" to refresh the repository and get the updates.

Randy
    I am getting this

Code:
    File 'repomd.xml' from repository 'google-chrome' is signed with an unknown key '1397BC53640DB551'. Continue? [yes/no] (no):
    I too have reimported google key .. reinstalling chrome etc ... and still when zypper up get the 'unknown key' alert!!!

i have answered 'yes' and this is what happens:

Code:
     # zypper up
    Retrieving repository 'google-chrome' metadata -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[\]
    File 'repomd.xml' from repository 'google-chrome' is signed with an unknown key '1397BC53640DB551'. Continue? [yes/no] (no): yes
    Retrieving repository 'google-chrome' metadata ......................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'google-chrome' cache ...........................................................................................[done]
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

The following item is locked and will not be changed by any action:
     Available:
      Mesa-dri-nouveau

The following 32 package updates will NOT be installed:
      gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-lang k3b k3b-lang libavcodec57 libavfilter6 libavformat57 libavresample3 libavutil55
      libbzrtp0 libFLAC++6 libFLAC8 libgstadaptivedemux-1_0-0 libgstbadaudio-1_0-0 libgstbadbase-1_0-0 libgstbadvideo-1_0-0
      libgstbasecamerabinsrc-1_0-0 libgstcodecparsers-1_0-0 libgstgl-1_0-0 libgstmpegts-1_0-0 libgstphotography-1_0-0 libgsturidownloader-1_0-0
      libgstwayland-1_0-0 libmjpegutils-2_0-0 libpostproc54 libquicktime0 libsox3 libswresample2 libswscale4 mjpegtools sox vlc-codec-gstreamer

Nothing to do.

openSUSE Leap 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8.6 | Frameworks 5.26.0 | Qt 5.6.1 | Kernel 4.4.62-18.6 | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors | 4 Desktops | 5 Activities

FYI - there is another post regarding same issue from a few days ago (with no satisfactory explanation nor solution)
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...wn-key-problem

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrCBGB View Post
    Hi swerdna,

Randy
    Oops, sorry, I should have said "yes".
    Tumbleweed & Leap 42.1 [&KDE]
    FYIs from the days of yore

Code:
    Some folks are getting error messages concerning the
    Google Chrome signing key.  On occasion Google updates
    the signing key they use on their packages and repositories.
    They last updated their signing key on 26 July 2017.
    The Chrome 60 package and the Chrome repository files are
    signed with this new key.

These are the steps I take to sync new Google keys with
    the repository database.  Once done, there should no longer
    be error messages concerning Google package or repository signing.

We will download the latest Chrome rpm, uninstall  your current Chrome,
    remove the Chrome repository, delete the current (old) signing
    key that was associated with the Chrome repository.

1) Download the latest Chrome from
       https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/
       Click the Download Chrome button then select the 64 bit .rpm option.
       Save the Chrome rpm to your Downloads directory.
       The Chrome rpm should now exist as:

~/Downloads/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

2) Use Yast / Software Management to uninstall Chrome
       (your settings and bookmarks will remain).

3) Use Yast / Software Repositories to delete the Chrome repository

4) Use Yast / Software Repositories GPG Keys button to delete
       the old Google signing key.

5) Logout/Login

Now we will download the new Google signing key, install the signing key,
    install Chrome - letting the installer add the Chrome repository to our
    list of repositories

6) Open a console (command prompt) and change to your Downloads directory
       where you saved the new Chrome rpm.  cd ~/Downloads

7)  Delete the file /etc/default/google-chrome
        The Chrome installers create this file the first time any version
        of chrome is installed.  This file informs all Chrome installers
        that the Chrome repository has already been added to your repository
        list. A Chrome installer will never add the Chrome repository
        again as long as this file exists, so delete it:

sudo rm /etc/default/google-chrome

8) Now download the new signing key (8038 bytes, 26 July 2017):

wget https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

9) Now install the new signing key:

sudo rpm --import linux_signing_key.pub

10) Now install Chrome:

sudo rpm -i google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

11) Logout/Login

12) Now run Yast / Software Management.  It will warn that it cannot
        verify the Trust worthiness of the new Google signing Key, and
        ask if you wish to Trust it (use it) any way.  Yes, accept the
        new key.

There should no longer be any Google signig key issues - at least
    until the next time Google issues a new key...

[xlis] could you supply a reference for the above text, or did you write this yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by ndc33 View Post
    [xlis] could you supply a reference for the above text, or did you write this yourself?
    I wrote the how-to text.

I've been using SuSE and openSUSE since v9.x

This is just defining the steps (some not mandatory, but cautious) for forcing
    a signing key, the associated repository, and packages from that repository
    to be in sync.

The how-to in Post #7 above should probably have a step 0 (zero) - install "lsb" 4.x (Linux Std Base v4.x).
    Google Chrome requires that "lsb" 4.x be installed prior to installing Chrome.
    It is not necessary to install "lsb" 5.x - 5x installs many things not needed by Chrome.

Use Yast / Software Management (search for "lsb") to install "lsb" 4.x as step zero
    of the how-to. If it is already installed, great.

Sorry for the omission...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast