Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Yast displays the "old" icons after upgrado from 42.2 to 42.3

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    111

    Default Yast displays the "old" icons after upgrado from 42.2 to 42.3

    Hi all,
    I'm having a minor inconvenience after upgrading from Leap 42.3 t 42.3, yast2 displays the old icons as in this picture:



    Do you now If I need to change any configuration or install any missing package to get back the new cool yast2 icons?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,547

    Default Re: Yast displays the "old" icons after upgrado from 42.2 to 42.3

    I have a brand new install of Leap 42.3 (not upgrade) and yast looks exactly the same for me as in our picture . . . the same as it did in 42.2 (default)
    I'm guessing you probably added some kind of theme to get a different look in 42.2

  3. #3

    Default Re: Yast displays the "old" icons after upgrado from 42.2 to 42.3

    I'm not sure what "new cool yast2 icons" you mean, but the ones in the posted picture are the Oxygen icons which are set to be used if the package yast2-branding-Oxygen is installed.
    If you uninstall that, you'll get the default icons.

    Or run:
    Code:
    sudo ln -sf /usr/share/icons/hicolor /usr/share/YaST2/theme/current/icons
    

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Yast displays the "old" icons after upgrado from 42.2 to 42.3

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I'm not sure what "new cool yast2 icons" you mean, but the ones in the posted picture are the Oxygen icons which are set to be used if the package yast2-branding-Oxygen is installed.
    If you uninstall that, you'll get the default icons.

    Or run:
    Code:
    sudo ln -sf /usr/share/icons/hicolor /usr/share/YaST2/theme/current/icons
    
    OK, I guess they are not that cool, but I remember that at some point openSUSE stopped shipping the oxygen icons by default in Yast. I it makes sense, since plasma 5 does not use Oxygen icons anymore.

    So, I removed yast2-branding-Oxygen (zypper asked me to uninstall patterns-openSUSE-kde_yast too) and now the "default' icons are back:



    I'm wondering If did a clean install of Leap 42.3, what would be the default icons then?

    I remember when doing a Leap 42.2 clean install I did not have Oxygen icons on Yast by default, maybe I should file a bug?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Yast displays the "old" icons after upgrado from 42.2 to 42.3

    Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    I have a brand new install of Leap 42.3 (not upgrade) and yast looks exactly the same for me as in our picture . . . the same as it did in 42.2 (default)
    I'm guessing you probably added some kind of theme to get a different look in 42.2
    Oh, so you did have Oxygen icons by default on 42.2...
    Weird, I remember doing a clean install of Leap 42.2 with KDE and i didn't have Oxygen icons on Yast.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Yast displays the "old" icons after upgrado from 42.2 to 42.3

    Quote Originally Posted by itaranto7 View Post
    OK, I guess they are not that cool,
    Well, the main question was not whether they are cool or not, but what icons exactly you mean...

    but I remember that at some point openSUSE stopped shipping the oxygen icons by default in Yast.
    No, they were still shipped, just not used.

    Somebody was "annoyed" by this and submitted a "fix". I'm just not sure if this was in time for 42.2 or later (i.e. 42.3).

    I it makes sense, since plasma 5 does not use Oxygen icons anymore.
    Plasma5 does use whatever icons/icon theme you configure. Oxygen is still officially included.

    So, I removed yast2-branding-Oxygen (zypper asked me to uninstall patterns-openSUSE-kde_yast too) and now the "default' icons are back:

    I'm wondering If did a clean install of Leap 42.3, what would be the default icons then?
    Oxygen obviously, as the package is required by patterns-openSUSE-kde_yast which I think is being installed by default (if you choose KDE).

    Btw, the KDE/Plasma5 screenshot with YaST on the 42.3 portal page does show the Oxygen icons...
    https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:42.3/...KDE_Plasma_5.8

    I remember when doing a Leap 42.2 clean install I did not have Oxygen icons on Yast by default, maybe I should file a bug?
    Well, that's your decision, I don't care much about the icons anyway.

    Although one could (and did) just as well argue that was a bug in 42.2 that has been fixed.

    And somehow I think this leads to nowhere anyway. If the change to Oxygen is reverted, somebody else might again file a bug that Oxygen is not used. And then?

    And before you ask, nobody created breeze icons for YaST yet, AFAIK, and probably nobody will anytime soon. (although feel free to volunteer! )

    PS: for reference the bug report:
    http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=942136
    Last edited by wolfi323; 29-Jul-2017 at 09:40.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Yast displays the "old" icons after upgrado from 42.2 to 42.3

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, they were still shipped, just not used.

    Somebody was "annoyed" by this and submitted a "fix". I'm just not sure if this was in time for 42.2 or later (i.e. 42.3).
    Yes, by "shipped" I meant set as default for KDE.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Plasma5 does use whatever icons/icon theme you configure. Oxygen is still officially included.
    Yes I know that, but breeze is the default look and feel for Plasma 5. It's part of the "new vision" from KDE developers (I have to admit that breeze/breeze-dark is quite nice).

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Oxygen obviously, as the package is required by patterns-openSUSE-kde_yast which I think is being installed by default (if you choose KDE).

    Btw, the KDE/Plasma5 screenshot with YaST on the 42.3 portal page does show the Oxygen icons...
    https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:42.3/...KDE_Plasma_5.8
    Yes, it seems you are right about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And before you ask, nobody created breeze icons for YaST yet, AFAIK, and probably nobody will anytime soon. (although feel free to volunteer! )
    That would be awesome, but sadly I don't have much graphic designing skills.
    I'm a developer (mostly C++ now), I'm interested of contributing to openSUSE or maybe KDE, but I still have to do some research.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •