Thread: Just upgraded to leap 42.3 and can't copy files (dolphin,cp,rsync) without DE crashing

Default Just upgraded to leap 42.3 and can't copy files (dolphin,cp,rsync) without DE crashing

Just installed 42.3 via dvd that I used sha256 on iso and dvd and both were fine. Installation went great. My computer works fine for the most part, but I want to copy all my files back over from a different partition (a ntfs partition) I have done this countless times before, so I don't know what the problem is. Tried doing a S.M.A.R.T. test on my hard drive(s). Didn't say there was a problem but not sure I used it correctly.

Anyway, it copies some files, but then it eventually hangs( < 5 minutes ) and kde and gnome will log me out and bring me back to sign in. Then the computer hangs a lot if I sign back in instead of rebooting.

Like I said, everything is working fine except copying my files. I searched through dmesg and looked a little at journalctl. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
    I've tried dolphin, cp and rsync. I did a zypper up but that didn't fix anything.

Maybe another kernel?

Thanks for your help.
    DESKTOP: Home built OS: opensuse 13.2 64 bit
    Asus p8h61-M LE/CSM | Intel i5-2500k 3.3Ghz Sandy Bridge | 4gb DDR3 | Intel integrated Video
    LAPTOP: Acer Aspire 4730z OS: opensuse 13.2 32 bit
    Intel Pentium dual-core 2.16Ghz T3400 | 3gb DDR2 | Intel Video

Default Re: Just upgraded to leap 42.3 and can't copy files (dolphin,cp,rsync) without DE crashing

I upgraded my kernel to 4.12.3-4 from Kernel:/stable/ and now copying is working. I noticed in journalctl that there were a lot of
    Code:
    drm/i915:Resetting chip after GPU hang
    apparently, from reading, what I was experiencing was the X-server crashing and restarting.
    I'm running rsync right now, but I have to say, any i/o operations on my system REALLY slows it down. I have used niceness in the past to combat such problems, but I don't remember if it really worked all that much, and even still, I feel I shouldn't have to.
    DESKTOP: Home built OS: opensuse 13.2 64 bit
    Asus p8h61-M LE/CSM | Intel i5-2500k 3.3Ghz Sandy Bridge | 4gb DDR3 | Intel integrated Video
    LAPTOP: Acer Aspire 4730z OS: opensuse 13.2 32 bit
    Intel Pentium dual-core 2.16Ghz T3400 | 3gb DDR2 | Intel Video

Default Re: Just upgraded to leap 42.3 and can't copy files (dolphin,cp,rsync) without DE crashing

Same thing, although not sure about copying files, had just finished updating and first boot, same error in dmesg...