Thread: Tumbleweed Install is Stalled

Default Tumbleweed Install is Stalled

Are the install servers for OpenSUSE Tumbleweed slow to respond today, 7/24/17 in the AM of EST?

I have done lots of Linux installs, but I wanted to move to Tumbleweed today to try a rolling release distro. I downloaded the USB Tumbleweed Net install image. Last night, 7/23/17 at 9:00 PM EST, I used the created USB key to begin the install. Everything seemed to be working fine, the graphical installer came up. However, I aborted the install last night so I could read up on using the Expert Partitioner in the install process. So this morning when I went to begin the install, the computer booted off of the USB key, but today, 7/24/17 at 10:00 EST, the installer loads the Linux kernel and then the install stalls when the first CLI progress bar reaches the end, it never goes onto the second CLI progress bar like it did last night, and the graphical installer never comes up either.

I decided to download the full Opensuse Tumbleweed ISO of over 4 Gigs and try that, but when I went to download that iso it was downloading at a snail's pace. My other computers on the same network are not experiencing any slow internet performance, so I was wondering if the OpenSUSE servers are down or just moving really slow today? Could that cause the Network Install to act as if it is stalled?

Thanks

Default Re: Tumbleweed Install is Stalled

I'm trying to do my weekly update this morning and it is taking forever just to download the metadata. I'm getting low teens KiB/s. I don't know if they have a server problem or a network problem.

I've also been trying to find a why to change repo mirrors and finding nothing. A lot of package managers let you download a list of mirrors and run a quick test to see which ones are faster. Right now I think I'm connecting across the Atlantic to Germany, which seems silly since I am in the US.

Thanks exdevnull, for verifying this issue.

I'm seeing the same thing as a US resident too. My test is also bouncing back speeds of 34KB per second in trying to download the full ISO install image for Tumbleweed. When I tried to pick a mirror, the page to select a mirror said that there were none available. To make sure that it wasn't my connection I tried downloading a 1.5 Gig install ISO of Fedora 26 which downloaded in less than 10 minutes, so I believe there must be an issue with the openSUSE install and update servers.

Perhaps they are doing some server work because of the release of Leap 42.3 tomorrow. I guess I picked the wrong day to do an install.

It only seems to be the main Tumbleweed OSS repo for me. Eg. appdata-icons.tar.gz and appdata.xml.gz is taking forever, but the nonOSS update repo went very quickly. I don't know if that's just a different server or what.

I do think there are mirrors for the install ISO's available, and there should be torrent links which would get you around whatever server issues they are having.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 18:36:01 +0000, mowestusa wrote:

> Thanks exdevnull, for verifying this issue.
    >
    > I'm seeing the same thing as a US resident too. My test is also bouncing
    > back speeds of 34KB per second in trying to download the full ISO
    > install image for Tumbleweed. When I tried to pick a mirror, the page to
    > select a mirror said that there were none available. To make sure that
    > it wasn't my connection I tried downloading a 1.5 Gig install ISO of
    > Fedora 26 which downloaded in less than 10 minutes, so I believe there
    > must be an issue with the openSUSE install and update servers.
    >
    > Perhaps they are doing some server work because of the release of Leap
    > 42.3 tomorrow. I guess I picked the wrong day to do an install.

Ditto (Colorado, US) on the speed. Just to check the problem I started a
    sizeable TW update on 6 machines using the same DSL router. 4 wireless,
    2 gigabyte ethernet boxes. All got the same link speed as a single
    connection. Since the added connections had no material effect on the
    transfer speed, gotta assume an upstream glue pot and having the problem
    is multiple locations pretty well narrows the culprit to the server...

It seems a little faster today - but it is still ---really--- slow.

Why aren't there other mirrors for OpenSuse - I'm wondering if I should start a thread.